I really want to build up a BRUSHED Mini-Z to run in 2wd Mod...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambdapriest

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
It's probably not the best idea; but I can't stop thinking about it.

I want to build up a weapons-grade Mini-Z, running on a brushed motor, to run in the 2wd Mod class (against the lipo chassis cars).

Why?
  • I think I could do it pretty cheap (famous last words, I know)
  • It would be great fun to watch my little MR03-based car pull on the lipo boys down the back straight, even if I wasn't as fast on the rest of the track (when my club sets up for Mini-Z, we have a 30-plus-tile-long back straight and yes, it's incredible)
  • I love the sound and feel of driving a brushed motor
I already have an MR03 that's part of the way through this conversion process - I picked up a PN 43t and bolted it on to the MR03 board, and the car's already pretty fast; but I want to go bigger.

Here are my constraints:
  • I really don't want to build a chassis car; I already have an MR03, and I'd be open to converting it to a PN 2.5w, but I want to keep the "plastic chassis that's not a true pan car" thing going
  • Which means that I need to run a servo controller that supports a 5-wire servo, so I can use the servo motor / gears / potentiometer that are already in the chassis
  • I want to run a brushed motor
For the motor, I've found that PN makes a 31t brushed motor. I'm not sure how much faster it'd be than the PN 43t that I already have, but I have to imagine that it'd be quite a bit more punchy. I don't think I can safely wire it up to the stock MR03 board without FET stacking - which is above my pay grade.

I'd like to run it on "2s" - i.e., four of these PN Extreme Power Li-Ion 3.7v AAA-sized batteries. I know I'd have to re-wire the battery holder to make it 2s2p - that's not a big deal. It'd be easier if I did a PN build out of it, but I'm sure I could get it to work on the MR03 chassis. That definitely takes "just use the MR03 board" out of the realm of possibility - I would definitely melt it.

Furitek makes a board called the Velos that supports the 5-wire servo and is a drop-in replacement for the MR03 board... but it's brushless. I'll probably go this route if I have to give up and run brushless, but I don't want to!

So what I need, I think, is:
  • A brushed ESC (easy)
  • A receiver (also easy, I already have a Flysky micro receiver sitting in a box in my office; I'll get around to installing it in the SCX24 eventually)
  • A servo controller that supports a 5-wire servo (haven't found one yet), OR advice on how to mount up a normal 1/28 servo on an MR03
I recognize that this probably sounds a little bananas. Maybe typing it all out will help me accept that it's an objectively bad idea and move on; but if anybody has any advice, I'd love to hear it!

EDIT:
HOLD UP, the game may be afoot:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37009285&postcount=8

From reading this thread - it sounds like I can use the board from a 3-wire servo to control a 5-wire servo? Does that sound right?

I have a 1/10-scale AGFRC servo that I may be able to sacrifice; due to an unfortunate LocTite-related incident, the horn is permanently affixed to the splines.

I'm currently setting up my workshop in the garage; once I get that done, I might rip the thing open to see what I'm working with. Would be pretty simple (albeit time-consuming) to desolder the board, desolder the Mini-Z board, pin it all back together, and see what happens. Can anyone confirm - has anyone tried this before, running a 5-wire servo on a 3-wire receiver?

Last edited:
Fair enough!

Thinking about it some more... the servo I already have, is a brushless servo. The Mini-Z servo has a brushed motor.

I guess I'm gonna give this a shot - just picked up 4 micro servos for $9 off Scamazon https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Servos...47&sprefix=micro+rc+servo,aps,109&sr=8-9&th=1

Leaving this thread open so that I can hear any advice that anybody else may have - but if nobody stops me, I'll probably start a build thread once I get the servos in, and get the time to sit down with them and rip 'em apart!

I would have just dropped a small lipo pack in and got the correct amp ubec and added that to lipo with a lug and then did my mods. I dont see the 3 wire servos working.but I dont run Zs smallest I run is a Vortex I modded to handle a54- size motor.

What is a "ubec" and what do you mean by "lug"? Not familiar with the terminology (but then again, there's plenty that I don't know).

I'm pretty sure that I can steal the board from a 3-wire servo and wire it up to the Mini-Z's servo motor - apparently, a servo is constructed from:
  1. Gears
  2. A motor
  3. A potentiometer to sense position
  4. A controller board to drive the motor and read the potentiometer
It looks to me, like the MR03 Mini-Z board has the "controller board" part of the servo integrated into the receiver / speed controller board. If that's the case, I should be able to drive the onboard servo and read from the onboard potentiometer with a board from a 3-wire servo. The worst-case scenario is that I sacrifice a $2.50 servo.; if I'm feeling really gunshy about destroying my existing Mini-Z by blowing the board while I try to desolder the servo motor and potentiometer, I can just grab the whole MR03 board unit, which includes the servo motor and potentiometer from my club, as they're in stock and only $40.

Back