David's Tamiya TT-02 10th scale On-Road TC build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So not so yeah parts. Ok.

TCS only allows for Tamiya upgrades anyways so.
Yeah, the Tamiya upgrades are nice, but you pay a big premium for them. I have some of them on ours that I got a good deal on from a guy that parrted out a TT02S. I also advised you not to put any money into that car. Ours is fully optioned. Every upgrade there Is. And it's still the biggest piece of 💩 in our fleet.

ill do my usual. Upgrade that part if I break that part. Or just replace it. Depending what the part is.

Here is a Protpec TCS race a few weeks ago at my local track. All TT02 s I this race
Find out what they did to theirs then and follow suit.

I think if you do the Tamiya bellcrank it will improve a lot of the slop, but the Yeah Racing one is not noticeably better than the stock plastic one because the bearing journals are so damn sloppy on it I could toss the bearings in it from 3' away.

Ordered 2 sets (23 bucks) of those tires on eBay. One gonna be for the kit plastic wheels (when running) and one for the aluminum wheels (for the shelf)

Should I really run aluminum wheels at the track or when out street bashing? I don't wanna mess them up

Ordered 2 sets (23 bucks) of those tires on eBay. One gonna be for the kit plastic wheels (when running) and one for the aluminum wheels (for the shelf)

Should I really run aluminum wheels at the track or when out street bashing? I don't wanna mess them up
Try it and see..... it might take some torque and smooth your acceleration out. Those same wheels I've been debating on buying. Would look good on a nitro powered tesler.

Local track season ends at the end of the month. Just gonna wait till next season (opening up early october) to get more stuff.

Congrats on the new car, Cool that you now are getting into on road here are my on roads
20101223_11.JPG

Here was my actual first on road but i shared it with my dad he bought it back in late 2010 for 80 bucks off Craigslist we had it until spring 2011 when we sold it and our other RC stuff back then. It had a mechanical speed control operated by a servo and had some sort of brushed motor and to complete the package it had a 27mhz am Traxxas TQ radio system. These cars are very hard to find nowadays and they go for 200 - 300 bucks on eBay last time i checked.
20220210_133217.jpg
Fast forward 11 years later, Here was my 4-tec back when she was brand new before they were discontinued in early 2023. She was brushed had a XL-5 ESC and a Titan 550 12T and had a TQI radio. Had this car for over a year until i traded it and a couple of other rigs for an X-Maxx.
20240312_200505.jpg

Of course you already know about this beast i made a build thread about her. She's an XO-1 V1 but converted to mostly V2 spec. She currently has a Castle Mamba Monster X 8s with a Castle 1717 1,650kv sensored brushless combo i just installed last Tuesday. And i have immensely enjoyed it the entire time i have owned the car broke it a few times but always fixed her. The only parts she still needs is new tires and a GPS speedometer so i can check her speeds.
20230905_161511.jpg

This is my Rlaarlo\Amoril AK917 Carbon chassis roller i bought off Amazon first time i bought a mostly full car from Amazon. I fell in love with these cars ever since they came but i heard about the company's issues with shipping and parts support so i held off buying for a few months but now i have one and i love it. This Porsche inspired beauty has a Onyx brushless esc and motor my dad originally bought for his TT-02 rally build that failed he let me use it in this car.

So that's all of them for hope you like them, I have plans on getting an Arrma Limitless V2 or Felony as well as maybe another 4-Tec 2.0 this time a VXL model or whatever else comes out that interests me.

Congrats on the new car, Cool that you now are getting into on road here are my on roads
View attachment 185023
Here was my actual first on road but i shared it with my dad he bought it back in late 2010 for 80 bucks off Craigslist we had it until spring 2011 when we sold it and our other RC stuff back then. It had a mechanical speed control operated by a servo and had some sort of brushed motor and to complete the package it had a 27mhz am Traxxas TQ radio system. These cars are very hard to find nowadays and they go for 200 - 300 bucks on eBay last time i checked.
View attachment 185022Fast forward 11 years later, Here was my 4-tec back when she was brand new before they were discontinued in early 2023. She was brushed had a XL-5 ESC and a Titan 550 12T and had a TQI radio. Had this car for over a year until i traded it and a couple of other rigs for an X-Maxx.
View attachment 185024
Of course you already know about this beast i made a build thread about her. She's an XO-1 V1 but converted to mostly V2 spec. She currently has a Castle Mamba Monster X 8s with a Castle 1717 1,650kv sensored brushless combo i just installed last Tuesday. And i have immensely enjoyed it the entire time i have owned the car broke it a few times but always fixed her. The only parts she still needs is new tires and a GPS speedometer so i can check her speeds.
View attachment 185025
This is my Rlaarlo\Amoril AK917 Carbon chassis roller i bought off Amazon first time i bought a mostly full car from Amazon. I fell in love with these cars ever since they came but i heard about the company's issues with shipping and parts support so i held off buying for a few months but now i have one and i love it. This Porsche inspired beauty has a Onyx brushless esc and motor my dad originally bought for his TT-02 rally build that failed he let me use it in this car.

So that's all of them for hope you like them, I have plans on getting an Arrma Limitless V2 or Felony as well as maybe another 4-Tec 2.0 this time a VXL model or whatever else comes out that interests me.
I haven't seen that car in many moons. I almost bought that same mechanical speed control model in a hobby shop in 2006! Crazy thing is it was cutting edge in its day!

I haven't seen that car in many moons. I almost bought that same mechanical speed control model in a hobby shop in 2006! Crazy thing is it was cutting edge in its day!
It sure was a cool car the V1.0 4-Tec electric they also had a Nitro version which was produced for a longer time and was more popular than the electric. It's a shame Traxxas doesn't produce cars like the old electric and nitro 4-tecs.

I'm just going to give you a warning. I put YR parts on our TT02 and it was all junk.
The only good YR part that I've owned was their motor mount. Even their pinion gears stink (grub screws strip). Tamiya stuff is absolutely overpriced, but it's usually machined well.

For track use, I'd just buy standard super mini CVA shocks (don't bother with TRFs), a generic heatsink/fan, any pinion gear but Tamiyas (I use a lot of no name coated aluminum pinions), and I guess universals unless if you're a fan of RWD. And of course, universals are ridiculously priced for what they are.

The aluminum driveshaft is nice to look at, but the stock one can take some silly power before warping, and it'll bend back in an accident.

IIRC, the TT02D rear hubs have 1 degree of toe in, and they're much cheaper than the bendy aluminum hubs.

Quick cut out body job. Wasn't paying attention and sort of messed up the body lines but it works. This will be my beater basher body. I'll be getting a new one once the indoor onroad season starts in October ish.
Full silver paint job tomorrow if weather is nice and low winds. Gotta cut out all of the stickers 😭🤣

PXL_20240317_023835015.jpg

PXL_20240317_023840375.jpg

PXL_20240317_023848611.jpg

PXL_20240317_023855139.jpg

PXL_20240317_023907340.jpg

Idk if it is just Tamiya bodies or if my siccors suck. But it was getting a bit hard to cut. Probably my siccors. Cheapo Amazon curved ones. The blades aren't that good anymore. Used to have a pair of straight siccors but idk where they went.

Yeah, those curved Amazon scissors are crap. Throw them in the garbage. Get some good straight scissors to do the main areas of the body. For the wheel wells and any curved areas I can't trim off with scissors I lightly score it with an Xacto blade and snap those areas off. Works great in the wheel openings. Score the openings, then cut relief cuts to break the wheel openings out in little sections.

Quick cut out body job. Wasn't paying attention and sort of messed up the body lines but it works. This will be my beater basher body. I'll be getting a new one once the indoor onroad season starts in October ish.
Full silver paint job tomorrow if weather is nice and low winds. Gotta cut out all of the stickers 😭🤣

View attachment 185131

View attachment 185132

View attachment 185133

View attachment 185134

View attachment 185135

Idk if it is just Tamiya bodies or if my siccors suck. But it was getting a bit hard to cut. Probably my siccors. Cheapo Amazon curved ones. The blades aren't that good anymore. Used to have a pair of straight siccors but idk where they went.
Looks great and don't worry about the being perfect you can always buy a new body. I cracked and road rashed my new XO-1 body in the first couple of runs i also bought the wrong paint for it i only found out when i started painting it. I originally wanted a burgundy red color and i thought the Traxxas red i ordered would work but it didn't but i can always buy another body when i have money and they're in stock. Hopefully the rest of the build goes smoothly for you me and my dad didn't have a great of an experience with TT-02 platform.

Last edited:
Also if the body has a protective film, sharpie is your best friend. Mark your paint job and or outlines and items you want clear like windows and lights as wells as your cut line.

Also if the body has a protective film, sharpie is your best friend. Mark your paint job and or outlines and items you want clear like windows and lights as wells as your cut line.
Yeah, that's a great suggestion too. I do this as well before trimming.

View attachment 185131

View attachment 185132

View attachment 185133

View attachment 185134

View attachment 185135

Idk if it is just Tamiya bodies or if my siccors suck. But it was getting a bit hard to cut. Probably my siccors. Cheapo Amazon curved ones. The blades aren't that good anymore. Used to have a pair of straight siccors but idk where they went. 🤣
the tamiya bodys are not as good as you think, but it might just be your horrible scissor cutting skills 🤣

Back