Omg traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, a Revo with a big block can handle itself really well. Handling and lots of power is a good combo.

i have a 6yr old son and he's new to the hobby and after getting out for 8 yrs i had to rebuy everything i sold and so far I've found that the slash can be raced but cost way to much to be competitive compared to my associated sc10 that I've bought and won with, on the other hand the 2 slashes i bought can be beat for bashing . so i guess I'm a traxxas / associated person when it comes to electric and a traxxas/ofna guy for nitro. the traxxas stuff around my area is always on the shelf of different shops but mostly have to order anything else. I've always wanted an 1/8 traxxas nitro buggy .

Traxxas makes affordable bashing rigs. The Revo wins mt races too. The 4x4 Slash and Pede? Traxxas is much more than just for beginners.

Like I said they have a couple of exceptions. But most of their kits are copies or clones of their other kits and their quality is mediochre at best. I dont mean to put Traxxas down I own a Rustler myself. They make a couple of good kits....The Rustler, The Revo, The XO-1 is pretty cool....dont know enough about that one yet but at least its something more advanced than the normal stuff they put out. The drag cars may prove to be something there, too soon to tell yet (yes I like nitro and Electric both), The MERV is pretty cool put all the minis are just clones of each other. Outside of those kits I can't really think of any Id want to own. And even those are questionable. I do like the Rusty. XO-1 is cool but I'm not much into street cars but if I was I would want one, The drag cars interest me, but the Revo? meh, I wont say I never have one but they arent that interesting to me. Theres alot of other MTs out there Id rather have. As for it being a race winner, well maybe back in its day but how many tracks have a MT racing class anymore? Not to many. Still over all its a decent kit but for the price theres other choices out there Id rather have. As for their other kits, theres just too many better quality options out there over kits like the T/EMAXX, Summit, Slash, and the Stampede just to name the ones that spring to mind. This is all just my opinion of course and not neccesarily shared by all. I'm by no means bashing anyone that owns a Traxxas. If thats what you like then hey tear it up! As long as your having fun thats what really counts.

The main point I was originally trying to make was dont wait on Traxxas to make newer nitro kits theres plenty of other manufacturers out there that have just as good or better options out there :) Unfortunatly they arent all as budget friendly as Traxxas. That is one thing Traxxas has going for them is they are budget friendly. Which is why I said they were for beginners. I didnt mean they were all junk I just meant alot of people in the hobby start out with them because they are more affordable and then move on to other more race level manufacturers. For bashers though if Traxxas is what ya like then by all means continue to have fun :) I know I wont Give up my Rusty :)

Last edited:
as i recall traxxas invented the rc monster truck

I don't know, a Revo with a big block can handle itself really well. Handling and lots of power is a good combo.

Handling and lots of power....sounds to me like you're describing a truggy lol.Then again the Revo is just a modified truggy IMO.

Traxxas made the first off road truck that could go off road without breakng if that counts.:) Sledge Hammer! I bought the kit in 1991 for $99.99. A dynamite esc, twister 27t and a futaba 2ch radio. With a modern battery it could still hang. I used to win b mains with it because my stock motor wouldn't dump my battery. 4 minute races baby! I'll never forget this dude with an awesome mullet and about a grand in support equipment gettin super hostile when his fancy novak and matched sanyos just couldn't handle the sledge. He must of been doing something seriously wrong to be out there with us broke kids in the first place.:)

my 2 cents...brand aside.....run what you can afford to run and have fun with it ! life is to short to get caught up in a brand war ! me i run Traxxas trucks and beat the hell of of them, when they break i replace the parts. HPI/LOSI/TRAXXAS ect. as long as your having a good time, who cares what name is on the lid! some are better than others, based on what you spend and what you do. we are all brothers in the RC WORLD, not based on the brand, but rather we run what we have and have fun doing so. so get out there and have FUN !!!!

Handling and lots of power....sounds to me like you're describing a truggy lol.Then again the Revo is just a modified truggy IMO.
No the Revo is in NO Way a modded truggy. The Revo came out years before any truggies hit the market. So how can it be modded from something that did not exist yet? I gotta hear this....

my 2 cents...brand aside.....run what you can afford to run and have fun with it ! !!!!
Pretty much...I am with you there. As long as you are having fun who gives a rats ass what is written on the side of it.

No the Revo is in NO Way a modded truggy. The Revo came out years before any truggies hit the market. So how can it be modded from something that did not exist yet? I gotta hear this....

Pretty much...I am with you there. As long as you are having fun who gives a rats ass what is written on the side of it.

Truggies are a modded Revo then? Take your pick.

No a truggy is a separate platform. Where have you ever seen a truggy with cantilever suspension? Secondly, the original truggies were built off of a buggy platform. It is half buggy IE center diff, flat chassis layout. The truck portion is a bi longer A-arms and bigger tires. Nothing to do with a Revo.

Last edited:
yes buggy+truck=truggy

revo is in a class of its own.

I'm not comparing performance here. not really any comparison between the 2 as 1 is 3.3 and other is 4.6. its a "beginners cost" thing

6 weeks ago
new out of the box, RTR red traxxas tmaxx and 3 qt byrons fuel $549.70

3weeks ago
new out of the box, RTR PINK (that the only color ya got?) no accessories $555

today
tmaxx has broken so many parts(bulkheads,a-arms,pins,bulk braces,shock towers ect ect) and being I'm new invested in all aluminum. i would say i have about 2X the cost of the truckinto upgrading it so it would live through a bash session. now mind you, some of that cost is in the MAC sized toolbox full of spare unused parts. but felt i needed (as i got tired of waiting a week to 10 days for new replacement parts to arrive and i live 2hrs from a hobbyshop). pretty much got tired of running through a tank and having an oversized bookmark for 2 weeks at a shot.rookie truck for sure,gives the owner a good opportunity to have the truck apart on the bench learning the mechanics of it
bought the X at the same hobbyshop. brought it home, broke it in. got on ebay and ordered the parts that commonly broke on the tmaxx (what a mistake) got about 300-400 into a box full of spare parts. not 1 part has broken yet that kept me from taking it out and running it. (although, i do not like the way tank is mounted to truck)
all in all, my rookie experience tell me that penny for penny, dollar for dollar the HPi truck is the better value right out of the box. no upgrades needed, very sturdy for the buck.

wifey and i had them out yesterday. we had a couple head-on collisions. tmaxx broke both times. now I'm out of stock axle carriers (better than bending aluminum) savage drove away

my #'s tell me the X is a better, cheaper way to get into Rc. might pay a little more for the truck upfront, but after the sale maintenence is much cheaper

I AM in no way trying to "slam" anybody or "hurt " anybody's feelings. its not "personal" its just my experiences in the 6 weeks i have been an RC monster truck hobbyist. drive what you can afford

For one thing, this thread is supposed to be about what Traxxas should have developed instead of the xo1. Secondly, it's your fault for wasting a ton of cash on parts that don't solve the Maxx's problems. An hour of research would've saved you 1000 bucks or better. That's absolutely crazy to me. So you have 6 weeks experience, but you absolutely can not help yourself from bashing the Maxx. New comers do not need to read that they need to dump 2 g's into a Maxx to make it reliable. That's false imformation. All you had to do was post on here that you wanted a truck that you can smash and crash into things and everybody would've suggested a Savage. We all know Savages are tougher than Maxx's. No bones there. But turning your mistakes into an excuse to bash Traxxas is just plain old bitching. Spreading false info to make yourself feel better isn't gonna fly around here.

MM is right. I've got about 750 into my maxx, total. It's fast and takes a wicked beating because I did some simple researching so I didn't just throw a bunch of crap on it.

That sounds right Rolex. Was it Tamiya or Kyosho Traxxas used the designes from to make the T-Maxx. I know there is one in Japan that is almost identical to the Max but was made before.

I wish people would stop comparing the REVO to a truggy. A Revo is a freakin MT that happens to have a lower center of gravity than your average MT therefore giving it somewhat similar appearance to a Truggy.

A Truggy as Joey said is a buggy that someone put longer arms and truck tires on.

A REVO can not compete with a truggy on a track. Nor was it ever meant to.

As for the MAXX yeah not the sturdiest thing out of the box but it doesn't need more than a couple hundred bucks worth of hop ups, most of which need to be RPM not aluminum, with a few exceptions.

I wish people would stop comparing the REVO to a truggy. A Revo is a freakin MT that happens to have a lower center of gravity than your average MT therefore giving it somewhat similar appearance to a Truggy.

A Truggy as Joey said is a buggy that someone put longer arms and truck tires on.

A REVO can not compete with a truggy on a track. Nor was it ever meant to.

As for the MAXX yeah not the sturdiest thing out of the box but it doesn't need more than a couple hundred bucks worth of hop ups, most of which need to be RPM not aluminum, with a few exceptions.

Well said.