Need advice with T-Maxx converted to electric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinwalls

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple used modified T-Maxx trucks. Both have decade old 550 motors. One has a Viper VX4R.45 (4500KV) and the other has a Viper VX4R.51 (5150KV). I'm using a 2S lipo 2S 50C 5200mAh battery. They are both converted to one speed forward only. Both run good, batteries and motors do not get hot when running. These are my first lipo cars and I can't believe how long the batteries last.. Much longer than my old bone stock Team associated RC-10 LOL... The car with the 5150 motor runs GOOD! It does good wheelies and overall its pretty dang fast, not planning to touch this one. The car with the 4500KV will only wheelie on a full battery, and its more sluggish than the other one but still pretty quick. I'd like to know what I can do to make this one a bit hotter.

Are these motors good and appropriately sized for the cars? Are the more modern electric motors better than these? Would changing gearing help? Any opinions are welcomed!
20240406_222552.jpg
20240406_215809.jpg

what you can do is go up in pinion size. be careful going up in pinion size will increase heat. check often when you switch pinion sizes.that will give you you wanted hotter . it will wheelie more have more top end speed. those motors are fore those rigs..

OK, I think I have 13 tooth pinion gears now.

Current gearing is a 72/14. Any suggestions as to what to try?

Last edited:
The bigger motor/battery gets mildly warm after thrashing on it, but I'd say overall cool. The smaller motor stays very cool. I have absolutely no concern with heat at this stage.

whats a degree number?
Tnt can be confusing sometimes

Pretty sure the degree as motor temperature. Or could be possibly meaning degree of motor timing. Usually for lower end motors in this case, they are fixed timing if I am correct.

whats a degree number?
Tnt is asking what temp your motor is running. If it's below 160°F or so, you can put a bigger pinion in if you want. Go up a tooth or two and run it. Once you start seeing your temps push close to 160°F, back down a tooth. Then keep an eye on it and make sure you don't go over that. If you don't have an infrared temp gun, grab one off Amazon. They're only a few bucks.

Temp gun ordered, as well as gears. Thanks for all the suggestions! I was thinking of also recalibrating my ESC. I have the old Copperhead 2 shown here: https://shop.stormerhobbies.com/product-p/vip6vsvx4r451.htm

Does anyone have a clue how to re-calibrate this, or even better have an instruction manual? I found a youtube video that said to turn transmitter on and hold button waiting for beep, but no beep....

Gears came today. I jumped up a tooth or 2 on both cars. The gearing made a noticeable difference in speed and power, especially in the faster of the 2 cars. The motors never get hot. I'll bet I didnt see 80 degrees on either of them.

I have noticed that there is something different (I believe) with the gearing on these 2 cars. The motors are essentially the same and I swapped them today to see if that made any difference with the slower car and it didnt!

Is it possible to get different gear ratios for the transmissions or diff's on these? The transmissions appear the same. I must figure out what has been done to this "fast" one so I can do the same to the other one.

I have noticed that there is something different (I believe) with the gearing on these 2 cars. The motors are essentially the same and I swapped them today to see if that made any difference with the slower car and it didnt!

Is it possible to get different gear ratios for the transmissions or diff's on these? The transmissions appear the same. I must figure out what has been done to this "fast" one so I can do the same to the other one.
It’s sort of possible. The Tmaxx has a two speed transmission. Most times when they are converted they are locked in second gear. The slower one could be stuck in first gear?

They also made a single speed kit for the transmission too.

Back