Newb with LST2!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LST2Junky

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi my name is Howard. I just got a LST2 Saturday. I got it broken in. It runs good, But I got to gas it a bit to get it started. It also dies after 3-4sec after I stop. I think the Low speed needle is to lean?

what type of fuel and plug are you running? I had similar problems with mine after break in. I put in a hotter plug and switched to odonnells fuel and it has been all good since. If you want to check your low speed needle try the pinch test. Pretty simple to do and you can get pretty close to perfect rather quickly.

Sounds like the LSN is too rich. Does the idle drop reallly fast after you run it hard? You want the idle to slow down after about 8 seconds of idling on it's own after a hard run, if it takes less than 8 seconds you are too rich on the LSN. This method has worked nicely for me setting LSN on all my engines. You wil need to adjust your idle speed down after leaning the LSN. Starting will be easier and it will idle much more consistent without flaming out. Remember small adjustments and make sure your engine is fully warmed up. If the temps go too high afterwards, richen the HSN a bit. Ideal LSN setting the temps should not climb at idle, but remain steady or slightly cool off.

Last edited:
I think you should make sure you have about a 1mm opening on the carb slide, this is set using the idle screw.

If your new to nitro the last thing you want to do is start twisting on both needles at the same time, you won't get it right unless your very lucky! Once you get it to idle start with the HSN, it's ok if it sputters a little on take off, you can try wheelies later. Once it's revving high on the top end (should also start to shift) you can then start with the LSN. Turn in 1/8 increments, you will notice a difference on the first or seconds adjustment, it doesn't take much. Keep an eye on the smoke coming from the exhaust, you want a nice smoke trail when you in the throttle. You will also notice that it will start to shift sooner, all shift points should be adjusted after you get the engine tuned.

Last edited:
I use traxxas 20% and duratrax hot (1.5 volt) plug. Ok I see what I doing wrong I riching the LSN instead of leaning it. LOL! My Jato carb must be a little different, cause I had to richen the LSN to got it to idle right. Thanks for the help. I try it out tomorrow and get some wheelies! LOL!

Traxxas fuel is good for small block engines. If you switch to a quality fuel like Byrons or Trinity you will see a LOT more power, it will tune easier and less owb slippage.

Traxxas fuel is good for small block engines. If you switch to a quality fuel like Byrons or Trinity you will see a LOT more power, it will tune easier and less owb slippage.

What percent fuel should I run? I got a gallon traxxas fuel 20%. I should be ok switching after the gallon? Or switch right away?

switch as soon as possible and run the rest of the traxxas in your jato, the traxxas engines run at their tops when you run the traxxas fuel

and please for gods sake do not run trinity, the stuff is garbage it is about the same as the traxxas stuff, right now you should be running one of these three and here is my prefered order

1. team losi nitrotane sport formula 20%... supervised creation by a very good racing fuel company, and good with all the dynamite engines like the mach 427 which is in your lst2

2. odonnells 20%... great fuel i never lost power with this stuff even in high temps, it is a great fuel for all around running wheather you are racing, bashing, or just goofing

3. byrons 20%... also a great fuel but a little oily when you are running rich this stuff just puts out way too much excess oil, and it can be messy, but still performance wise a great choice...

Most Big blocks run best on 30% but they require richer needle settings than 20% fuel. So keep that in mind when and if you switch fuel.

Everyone has a fuel they hate with a passion.

This truck is giving me all kinds of trouble. I figure I run it to day to get all the bug out. It took me 3hour to get it get it running. I checked the OWB it is ok. The fuel to the carb was loose. I finnaly got running I it. Then stalled on me after 30sec. All my rota start batteries were dead! LOL! It the traxxas fuel causing this much trouble?

Yes it can, it does not allow the engine to idle well due to all the excess oil. 18% oil content is way too much IMO. 10-12% oil seems to be the ticket for me. 8% oil such as cetain race blend fuels contain can be scary. Too fine a line there for the average users.
Go buy a MC-59 plug and some Trinity Monster Horsepower fuel 20 or 30%, your preference. 20% will work just fine, the 30% will just make a tad more power. The Mach 427 is not picky about Nitro content.
You will be amazed at how much easier it will idle and tune.

I got bryon 30% fuel. I keep burning up my glow plugs. It keeps overheating. What brand is MC-59 glow plug? I also have to keep prime the engine cause the fuel keeps flowing back in to the tank? I zipped tie all the lines and I still may have a air leak?

If the fuel is running back to the tank it might be running too hot, or, too lean. For breakin and the first half gallon you want it rich. Don't worry about performance at this stage.

If I were you I would return it to it's factory settings - 4 turns out on the HSN, 2 turns out on the LSN. It will be rich but give you a good place to start from. Then, tune the LSN by 1/8 of a turn clockwise, after every turn try pulling off. When the truck won't pull off smoothly any more richen the LSN by 1/8 turn out.

Then start on the HSN, again 1/8 turns until you are getting reasonable performance but keeping the temperatures no higher than 250f.

Have a look at this guide - http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm and http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm.

Do not worry if the truck seems hard to move, it will when new, and it won't shift into second for a while until the engine loosens off. Proper breakin will reward you with an excellent engine.

I agree. He said he already broke it in. u may need to get new lines. like a buck a foot. IMO its always good to have a spare set of lines. Even if thats not the problem.It may be way too lean. does it flame out or stall at speed?

It's a week old I found the line come the fuel filter outlet to the carb had a hole in it. But It still feeds back in to the tank. When I broke it in I had a lot of trouble keeping the temps up. I had HSN 3 turns out after break in it was running great temps at 230 no high. It was around 55f outside when broke it in. Now that it is getting warm out. I about 3 1/2 turns out on the HSN, and finally got the temps to 250f. I richen it a little more. I hope that should do the trick. It doesn't cut at speeds. It just starts to rev when it gets hot. They I quick shut it off. And let it cool down.

hmmmm. I don't have enough experience to tell whats the problem. I bet Rolex would know. Rolex... Rolex...

Bad news I called Losi today. They said my engine has an internal problem. So I have to send it to them.

I got my engine back today!! They replaced the piston, sleeve, and added a shim. They also gave me a pull start, and 4 glow plugs!