Traxxas s-maxx won't start at idle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-maxxrules

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Traxxas S-maxx 3.3 and it won't start at idle, but when I give it about 1/4 throttle it fires up. Also it won't rev at all when given any throttle. I was looking at some of the forms and they say there is a leak in the fuel system but I can't find one. The engine has had only three quarts though it after break-in. The needles are at factory. I was running vp racing fuel 14% oil and it was fine then switched to 9% because the hobby store did't have 14%. It fired up on the 9% for about 30 seconds then it died and has had the problem ever since.

Hi, I have a Traxxas S-maxx 3.3 and it won't start at idle, but when I give it about 1/4 throttle it fires up. Also it won't rev at all when given any throttle. I was looking at some of the forms and they say there is a leak in the fuel system but I can't find one. The engine has had only three quarts though it after break-in. The needles are at factory. I was running vp racing fuel 14% oil and it was fine then switched to 9% because the hobby store did't have 14%. It fired up on the 9% for about 30 seconds then it died and has had the problem ever since.

Sounds like the idle screw needs to be upped just a little, and the carb tuned. Factory settings are good for break-in, but won't deliver much power afterwards. They're too rich and designed to flush out the engine.

When you change fuels, you'll also have to change tune.

It's also possible the glow plug is starting to expire, the break-in process wears one out faster than usual, it's not unusual for the first glow plug to only last a little longer than the break-in period.

Sounds like the idle screw needs to be upped just a little, and the carb tuned. Factory settings are good for break-in, but won't deliver much power afterwards. They're too rich and designed to flush out the engine.

When you change fuels, you'll also have to change tune.

It's also possible the glow plug is starting to expire, the break-in process wears one out faster than usual, it's not unusual for the first glow plug to only last a little longer than the break-in period
Thanks for responding. I have tried adjusting the needles and idle and I got it to where it almost starts but it won't stay running. I had it tuned for a lower elevation before and it ran fine. Now in the higher elevation it seems like a piece of junk

I'm not a Nitro person.but I do know internal combustion motor. Guys what about a Higher percentage nitro fuel. since the altitude is the issue. less Oxagen at higher hights