laptop help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
My moms laptop loses wifi connection alot. When you use the trouble shoot it always resets the connection and is good to go. So I tried a usb wifi thing and it does the same thing. So I used a ethernet cable and it also does the same thing, just not as much.

Its only like 8 ft from the router too if that helps.

How old is the router? My old router did the same thing pretty often during my last year in the states, I would have to go unplug it for a few seconds to let it restart.

^^ my Internet supplier sent out three routers before I decided to get on on my own.

Well I kinda ruled the router out because it also runs my pc, tablet, phone and never has trouble with them at all. Was running my ps3 wirelessly too.

Its built in.

I was just using it and it will say the default gateway isnt available. Before it fixes it that is.

edit. I was just checking device manager out and it said the ethernet wasn't enabled, I'll see if that helps. I turned off the option that lets it turn wifi off too along time back just an FYI.

Last edited:
If you hadn't of said your stuff runs fine I would say check the router first and see if a firmware update is needed and install that and then give it another try. I would still take a look just in case. Also how old is her laptop and what type of security are you running on the router? Some older wifi adapters have problems running some of the newer security settings on newer routers.

Tom

Its working with the cable now. I tried it with a groccery stores wifi yesterday and it messed up again. I've updated the router too and had it open as well as password protected with the same thing.oh well, it stays in the same place so ethernet will be ok.

:hehe: yeah thanks. For the record its about 3 years old, its an Acer with Windows 7. Its been good except for this problem and the case is broken on one side where the screen hinges. She never moves it so I'm thinking in the future when it dies a small desktop might be better.

A tablet might work, too. You can get them for under $200 for a nice one.

Yeah I love my tablet but its alittle small for her, so is the laptop with 15" screen. All she does on it is email and pinterest so no real need for anything fancy. My current pc was the cheapest emachines at walmart without a screen, something like that for her with a 20" screen or so seems perfect.
You got your mom a nook didnt you hamz? Does she like it and is able to use it easily?

My mom has a 15" that she likes using when she needs a computer. I got her an 8" Nook Tablet that she loved and used until it almost wore out. My step-dad got her a new 10" tablet for Mother's Day that she uses everywhere she can get a WiFi signal. She also just got a smartphone and using that a lot for email on-the-go.

Back