Xmaxx Controller/Receiver issues?! HELP!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoBiffBetter

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a very weird issue going on with my Xmaxx.

I have a nearly brand new xmaxx that in day ONE I swapped the Radio/Receiver over to a FlySky FSGT3C. This is the remote I use on 5 of my other trucks, buggy’s, and boats (all 1/8 scale).

From the very first moment I ran my new truck with this FlySky Remote and RX Iv had an issue with both the throttle and steering when the truck gets a certain distance away. This can happen anywhere from 50-75FT. Away. What happens is the throttle I am giving it sticks even when I let off the throttle on my controller, when the throttle sticks the steering will ALSO stick to wherever it was set at last when the throttle stuck. Also sometimes the truck will brake all by itself and random times and the truck can also feel very laggy from the inputs I am giving it on my remote.

Now I had an xmaxx 8s 2nd Gen years ago that I used the exact same remote and RX on and it had the SAME EXACT ISSUE.. I was never able to find out what was causing it and eventually sold the truck when I got out of the hobby for a bit so naturally when the same issue came back on my new truck I told myself “this 100% has to be the remote or the RX.

What I have tried to fix it:
-First thing I did was I swapped out the original FLYSKY RX that was used in both of my xmaxxs to a BRAND NEW RX. This did not fix the issue.

-Second thing I did was I purchased a new FlySKY remote (same exact model) … I bound the new remote to the new RX and still had the SAME issue!!

-I eventually assumed it HAD to be the stock traxxass ESC so I bought a brand new Max 6 and installed it.. SAME ISSUE STILL!

I am at my whitts end with this truck. I really don’t wanna go back to the factory remote as I love my FlySKY and have all my other RCs programmed to the same remote. This issue does NOT exist with any other RC truck I own and use with this FlySky system.

This issue MUST have something to do with the two wires in the xmaxx RX box.. (The ones with the grey and red RX plugs) One is for motor temp and the other Is for TSM.. I have never had either of them plugged in from day one when I first swapped to my FlySky because I didn’t want to use them..

I’m thinking that the factory TSM and temp sensors are creating some type of interference issue with my FlySky remote and RX which are still in the RX box tucked in close to the FlySky RX? Even tho they are not plugged in.. I feel that they must be somehow causing this interference issue iv had with my remote/RX since thats what it feels like is happening when I get too far away and because this is my SECOND 8s xmaxx to have this exact same issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! And YES I have reprogrammed the throttle neutral and brake settings over and over again on both the stock traxxass ESC AND this new HobbyWing max 6 to make sure that it wasn’t just an ESC programming issue and it is NOT.

PLEASE HELP before I go insane 😅

Last edited:
have you checked the esc bec or tried another ubec. not red all your log just the 4 paragraphs.

Those extra wires shouldn't affect anything. Why not remove those wires if you think that could be the problem while your in there anyways?

FWIW: (Traxxas TSM is in the TQi receiver itself. And those two connectors are motor temp and voltage)

It could be just a faulty transmitter & receiver
Yes but as I said in my OP I have replaced both the remote and RX with brand new ones and it’s still doing the same thing. So I know it’s not a faulty RX or remote. Maybe it’s the model of FlySky I’m using just doesn’t like the xmaxx? Just makes no sense why my remote works fine with every other truck and boat I own accept for when I use it on an xmaxx
Those extra wires shouldn't affect anything. Why not remove those wires if you think that could be the problem while your in there anyways?

FWIW: (Traxxas TSM is in the TQi receiver itself. And those two connectors are motor temp and voltage)
ah ok, see I didn’t know the TSM was actually in the controller. How the heck does the controller know what angle the truck is at tho If there is not a sensor in the truck for it to work? I always thought TSM got its measurements off the trucks angle and adjusted it from there to compensate? Maybe it just works off the feedback from the servo or something.

In any event, I agree, it makes no sense if these 2 plugs are unplugged and have been left unplugged why they would have any affect on interference.. but I just can’t understand what else would be causing it since the only time Iv had this issue is when using a FlySky FS series remote and RX on an xmaxx truck. This is why I thought that maybe those wires were somehow interrupting the signal since there is really nothing else that could be different from the xmaxx to any other truck I own aside from my xmaxx being the only “traxxass” I own
have you checked the esc bec or tried another ubec. not red all your log just the 4 paragraphs.
Thanks for your response, the issue was obvious on the first day out with the truck with the full stock setup minus the temp and volt sensors being left unplugged. After I tried a new remote and a new RX I did end up swapping the stock ESC out to a hobby wing Max 6 and still have the exact same problem. Also don’t forget that this issue was also there with an xmaxx I owned years ago. (Totally different xmaxx) which I never found the solution then either but never tried any other remote besides the FlySky GS series that I use on all my other trucks
I could try removing the temp and battery voltage wires all together.. this is about the only thing I have not tried yet. I did however run the truck with those wires pulled out of the box a few inches away from the RX and the issue persisted so that’s where I last stopped.

SIDE NOTE FOR ALL:
I vaguely remember watching a KEVIN TALBOT YouTube video where he swapped from the traxxas remote and said that “he’s had way too many issues running non traxxas Receivers on the xmaxx and he’s learned to just cut those 2 wires out completely to stop from having any weird remote issues”

Has anyone else ever heard of this? Or done this? Maybe this is what I need to do.

Last edited:
The flysky transmitter and rx are at fault.its not the extra wires in rx box.its the radio. get another radio bind calibrate I'm sure your issue will be gone.

Agree with @tntpoof. Radio system seems to be the common item.
edit to clarify: (meaning it's the only thing both the Xmaxx's with different setups having the same issue have in common. Process of eliminates says it's the FLYSKY)

The TQi receiver has a built in gyro.

Last edited:
issue is w flysky not traxxas
I would have to agree with you and Grizz03. The FlySky system is the same used in both xmaxxs Iv owned.

But don’t you guys think it’s weird that I used 2 different FlySky radios and 2 different FlySky RX,s in this new xmaxx and the issue still persists?

I guess I just am trying to figure out what the difference would be between my traxxass xmaxx and every other rc truggy, buggy, and boat that I use the same radio system on? IMO RC trucks aren’t that complicated, you have a RX, an esc, and a motor. All RC trucks have these.. so in my mind I’m trying figure out what the xmaxx has that my other trucks don’t.. and that’s when I think about those temp and voltage sensors.

So I agree with you guys that my FlySky system is prolly the issue, but I feel that there’s something in or on the traxxas Xmaxx that isn’t agreeing with the FlySky radio system. And that’s really what I’d like to know.

I do agree, if I go back to the stock radio or maybe a better quality radio for my xmaxx this issue prolly will go away like you both suggest. I may just have to cut my losses with my FlySky radio and go back to stock for this truck :/