HPI Mini Recon RTR 1/18th truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any of the rc18 wheels will work, they are alot stronger as well.

I used 1/10 scale adapters to run touring sedan tires on my RC18T. They might work to allow you to run the larger tires. You'll want to look at re-gearing it a bit lower to keep from overheating the ESC or motor.

Up date> i used my dremel tool to cut a hole in the bed of the body so my 6yr son can easily turn it on and off.be careful not to hack it up,because beleive it or not that little body cost $35 and that was on ebay?

THE WALL CHARGER THAT COMES WITH THE MINI RECON I JUST CUT THE END OFF AND WIRED THAT AND A STANDARD FEMALE CONNECTOR TOGETHER.I HAVE A ONYX 200 PEAK CHARGER WITH A BUILT IN JACK FOR Rx BATTERY PACKS AND A BUILT IN LEAD WITH A STANDARD MALE CONNECTOR.SO YOU WILL NEED TO CUT THE END OFF THE WALL CHARGER AND GET A FEMALE STANDARD CONNECTOR,TWO WIRES AND TWO BUTT CONNECTORS 18AWG THAT HEAT SHRINK.THEN YOU CAN PEAK CHARGE THE BATTERY USING THE LEAD WITH THE STANDARD MALE CONNECTOR.LOTS OF RUN TIME WHEN PEAKED CHARGED. I TRIED TO UPLOAD A PIC BUT IT WOULD NOT LET ME.HOPE THIS HELPS.THIS WAS MEANT FOR TMAXXFREEK.

Last edited:
Keep trying to get a picture up of what you done, if not send it to me in a pm.

which wire from the on the wall charger is positive and which is negative? I see that one wire has whiteish/gray lines on it. Is this the positive? I ask because i am planning on buying this >>> http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVJW0&P=M and then cutting the standard plug off and then soldering the cut off end from the wall charger to the banana leads. However i am worried the wire change from 14 gauge to the what 24 gauge that the wall charger wire is will cause an issue.

Last edited:
The negative is the wire with the writing on it (the size of the wire 24awg) the positive is the wire with white/ gray lines on it.i have mine 14awg spliced in to 24awg and have yet to have a problem.what kind of charger do you have? I have the onyx 200.

Last edited:
dsc0190m.jpg

---------- Post added at 3:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 3:53 AM ----------

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/dsc0190m.jpg/ ok guys here is the pic of the adpapter for the mini recon.just something i threw together fast.it is not just taped i used two butt connectors crimped them then heat shrinked them. works great

Last edited:
i think that link above would work great for you jtboogie and tmaxxfreek.just cut the end off of the wall charger and put the wire ends into those butt connectors and crimp or solder them.hope this helps

Last edited:
Willy that should work i think. And i have the electrify triton which uses the banana plugs thats why I posted that link because it has the banana plugs on it already. But your method may be easier. And thanks for the wire info.

Thinking of putting in a brushless motor in the mini recon.i will let you guys know.

Mine ended up being a P.O.S, and a PITA to work on......gonna get it all fixed up and sell it and get her a Pede, I think HPI really missed on these trucks, even thought its a 120 dollar truck, if it carries the HPI name the quality should have been better IMO.

I thought the same thing when I had my brama 18b. The biggest POS I ever owned. HPI needs to stick with 1/8 scale, it seems those are the only durable rigs they make.

Yes, i will never buy another "small" truck from HPI, this one had been nothing but problems, if it isn't the diffs or tires shredding,Its the shocks flying to pieces, i could see all this happening if i was running a brushless setup, but its all stock. we actually bought all the hop up kits and ending up sending them back because i didn't want to sink the money into it when it was JUNK.

Very Disapointed In HPI with this truck

I also had issues with the shocks, they leaked the day I pulled it from the box.

Same problems here, leaking and the bottom cap popping off, losing all the fluid

Any rc18 wheels or a certain kind of rc18 wheel, I was bashing min yesterday and the spokes broke and the wheel fell off. I need more durable replacement wheels
I got the team associated mt wheels & tires, the offer the best ground clearence without losing any power

hey guys,i am updating the recon.lots of problems with the shocks.although these new ones are working better,but have'nt hit anything or jumped it yet.went to a brushless system.actually bought a team associated rc18t2 and just used the motor and esc.now eating up the gear on the shaft.although pro racing makes parts that fit the recon (pro racing meaga tech propulse t110)and they make a carbon fiber shaft with stronger gears.as far as wheels and tires pro racing makes alot,rc18,3racing.now the recon is good.as for the team associated rc18t2 all mamba power.only problem,keeps eating the belt for the front drive.so for now it is rear drive, for on my street.awesome.

Back