HPI-Killers Axial XR10 Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you really need a radio that will control two ESC's to take advantage of that set up, my rig is doing well with punk dig set up..

Yeah down the road I will for sure but I need to get gears and a chasis before then

Dual esc's on a good radio (pl or pk) is so much better imo, but the punk does work real good too, I ran mine for a long time.

Okay small update, got the punk up and runnin properly just have to re-solder the rear motor, also got my cc Ti steering rod on, and now I am leaving to go hit the rocks with the 2 packs I have charged so I will have pictures of her maiden voyage on real soon!

See ya soon!

Okay, I just got home from my maiden voyage with the XR and I just have one word.... WOW! This rig is super amazing and just blows my mind with the side hilling, the DIG, the transitions & the overall performance of this rig! While I was out I compiled a list of questions for the MOA guys but first the pictures! I should have braught more than 2 packs because 3/4 through my run 3 guys showed up with their honchos and only got like 24 minutes to play with them, they were wowed by the XR too lol, PICTURE TIME!
P1060181.jpg

P1060192.jpg

P1060191.jpg

P1060190.jpg

P1060189.jpg

P1060188.jpg

P1060187.jpg

P1060186.jpg

P1060185.jpg

P1060184.jpg

P1060183.jpg

P1060182.jpg

P1060180.jpg

P1060179.jpg

P1060178.jpg

P1060177.jpg

P1060176.jpg

Hope this is enough pictures lol I could have kept on snapping but I had to packs to get me more. Now on to the questions:

1) When I pop my front tires over a lip and hit the DIG, my rig seems to just hop instead of trying to hookup and pull me over, what would cause this?

2)When I proceed my front tires to an obstacle, the rear wheels dont start turning until I give it a little more juice (not as bad as before with my 2 escs) would this issue cause the issue from question 1?

3)When I'm hittin the rocks, I really dont have the flex I thought I would, do these shocks have good flex from the get-go or what would be causing limited flex?

4) How the hell do I keep my lipo secured in the chassis battery slot? It doesn't come out but likes to move back and forth.

Thanks guys for peeping!

Last edited:
Now on to the questions:

1) When I pop my front tires over a lip and hit the DIG, my rig seems to just hop instead of trying to hookup and pull me over, what would cause this?

How much weight are you running in ur front wheels? Sounds like you might be to light, or maybe ur back tires have a lot of traction. Also if ur in dig ur back tires are basically locked and if there is not enough weight up front to keep the front down and dig in it's not going o pull the back of the rig up.

2)When I proceed my front tires to an obstacle, the rear wheels dont start turning until I give it a little more juice (not as bad as before with my 2 escs) would this issue cause the issue from question 1?

That is called clod stall and just takes some getting used to.

3)When I'm hittin the rocks, I really dont have the flex I thought I would, do these shocks have good flex from the get-go or what would be causing limited flex?

Most of the people I know go to a softer spring, to allow it flex easier, you really don't want more then a soda cans worth of flex. it is better to be able to float things then have lots of flex and have your rig falling into every hole it comes across.

4) How the hell do I keep my lipo secured in the chassis battery slot? It doesn't come out but likes to move back and forth.

A small piece of velcro on the battery and slot and the velcro strap that came with it should do the trick.

Thanks guys for peeping!

Hope that helps, Hopefully the Guru:D will chime in with a little more info.

I would say around 10oz total up front, not sure what's good

Try some Losi Gold springs up front and see what that does for you. I run a little heavier wheel with 6oz in each wheel right now.

Try some Losi Gold springs up front and see what that does for you. I run a little heavier wheel with 6oz in each wheel right now.

I think with the V1sill have to run the weight strips on the inside which is no biggie, but do you have a link for the springs and would they be a direct replacment? Thanks for all the useful info :D

Yawn, here I am...:hehe: jk. Clod stall, as long as not too much, is a good thing, you will just need to get used to it before you will like it. Too much can really suck though, without seeing it I can't say if you have too much or not though. Alittle adustment that can help is to (within reason and safety) loosen your mesh on the rear pinion and tighten the front, this will make the front have to work alittle harder and even up both to spin closer to the same throttle.

Are you too light up front? maybe. See where the balance point is. A little bit in front of the skid to the front is a good balance point, way more front bias.

Also remember, in those pics you are crawler on stuff that I'm willing to be is alot steeper than it feels while your actually standing there crawling. If that makes sense. Sometimes you can go places where it seems like your crawler is just tipping over backwards off of very unsteep (is that the word? lol) stuff but in reality its very steep but its because the rock is on a hill and your standing against the slope.

Okay I'm headed out to tear some sh!t up! Shredded my servo so now I'm using a puny hitec for now till I exchange the shredded savox. Loosened the mesh on the rear a tad but I shall return with more pictures!

Okay just got home, what a day, destroyed a servo, stripped 2 servo horns and broke a plastic one.... I need a really tuff horn for the savox servos...

PICTURE TIME!!!
P1060226.jpg

P1060227.jpg

P1060228.jpg

P1060229.jpg

P1060230.jpg

P1060236.jpg

P1060237.jpg

P1060238.jpg

P1060239.jpg

P1060240.jpg

This rig is incredibly tuff, its taken a few 15-25ft tumbles down rocks and hold up juusttt fiiine!

Last edited:
Looks good, did you make any changes to your set up, Also if you flip ur servo over so the horn is closer to the tire it is less likely to get hit, the put a good aluminum servo horn on it.

Plastic horns wont do any good on a crawler, get a nice alum horn and be done with it. Thats why I run a guard under the horn, I dont like replacing $150 servo's! lol. Nice pics too.

Yeah I loved my aluminum ones but stripped both of them today somehow within an hour, went plastic and held up for about an hour, just not sure what fits the savox servos. I loosened the mesh on the rear motor and it may have made it worse, but it definatly didnt make it any better, 1/8-1/4 throttle is when the rear kicks in, tried to make a video today but crawling+dig+recording=no chance in hell....

Thanks guys on the input :D this rig is the funnest one I have owned yet, I am just glad I have a lifetime warranty on my savox servo so I can just exchange @ my lhs...

It also apears I have 2 blown shocks or something is wrong because one leaks oil, and the other leaks ALOT of oil, any ideas? I would love to flip them 180* but the caps wont bolt onto the axles...

Do a rod end mod to your shocks like Lloyd and I have done to our shocks, then you can mount them upside down and they will move much smoother pivoting on ball at both ends, count the number of splines on you servo then we should be able to figure out which servo horn you need, the clamp on style seem to work the best, and like I said if you flip the servo 180* the horn is less likely to get hit.