Holy Imp poop, Doom 3 comes out tomorrow!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
half life 2 will be the BEST game out for a loong time. who cares about delays. its all about the finished product

Ok picked up Doom3, intalling disc 3 of 3 now so my opinion should be in soon. After looking more into the game and the story I have to admit I am quite excited to play it.

I will have 5 copies on Monday.
They are going for a premium now and I have to charge 49.99.
Ill post in the FS forum.

That's a deal, I paid 54.99 at GameSlop

I have to say after about 3 hours with it last night I am truly LOVING this game. Ooh the horror! I have to say I have jumped out of my seat more than when i played Resident Evil 2 for the PS1 (damn that was scary to play the lights off).

The bad is the game has some bugs. Lots of white specks in the graphics, it was even worse and crashed on me the first 2 times before I went and updated my Catalyst drivers for my Radeon 9800 XT to the new 7/7/04 drivers. The specs for the most part went away but I still see them. The middle of the screen horizontally is kinda chunky when moving from side to side, hard to really explain clearly I guess but it is a graphics glitch non the less. Now this game has the highest minimum specs I have ever seen but with that said my PC should be able to run the game without breaking a sweat.

P4 3.0
2Gig of 400mhz DDR
Radeon 9800XT
800Mhz FSB Intel board (decent enough)
160 gig serial ATA HD
Sound Blaster Audigy

I mean really now if this system can't run it smooth on 800X600 (Great Graphics setting there is one higher called Ultra Graphics 1024X768) than what system will it run smooth on? I just installed Splinter Cell 2 Pandora Tomorrow and that game is eye candy and runs smooth as silk? I guess I will sit and wait for the game patch to come out. BTW I am upgraded to DirectX 9.2b the latest version to my knowledge (was installed with the game Doom3).

Is it too dark so it is hard to see what is happening? And how is the gore? I want to see blood squirting out of severed veins....

mcvickj said:
Fear not fellow Doom fans......

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon 2400+ 2GHz
1GB of Corsair XMS Platnium Series
128Mb ATI Radeon 9700 Pro running Catalyst 4.7 drivers

.....and Doom3 runs great. I currently have the ingame settings at 1024x768 and "High Detail" There is still one more setting above that which is "Ultra Detail" I have tried that yet. Anyone know the command that will display FPS?

I have already jumped in my seat several times. This game is just hands down awesome. Now I have a good idea of what they were going for but there is a point where a game is too dark and I think Doom3 might have crossed that line. If you want to live for any length of time you will be switching between you flashlight and weapon A LOT. Make sure to explore every inch of the level. The creators have stuff in a lot of nooks and crannies. Some you can only see with your flash light.

How did you get the game so early? It wasn't out here until yesterday and to my understanding the were select stores that stayed open until midnight on the 4th it ship date. You got the dark part right and I am getting good with my mouse wheel from shotgun to flash light. I want to go home and play it some more but I am kinda scared LMAO!

scottm said:
Is it too dark so it is hard to see what is happening? And how is the gore? I want to see blood squirting out of severed veins....

Not to dark to see but there are sections where you purposely cannot see and a monster is waiting (adds horror and terror to the game very well), gore is a 11! I love seeing brains fuckin pop out and explode!

I still have my Doom 1 and 2 discs! Gotta love the chainsaw on it!

I guess here is my answer to the white snowy specs I see:

From Activision's support site
"I'm getting ''white snowy'' graphical corruption during gameplay.

Answer
Make sure your system meets the minimum system requirements of the game.

Make sure you have the latest video and sound card drivers from the manufacturers' websites.

All background applications must be shutdown prior to running the game.

If you are using an nForce or VIA motherboard, make sure that you have the latest drivers for that device.

If you have a Radeon video card, try disabling Fast Write and/or set your AGP speed down to 4X. Right click on your desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Smartgart.

Make sure you are not over-clocking your video card as this has been known to cause graphic issues with the game."

Looks like they have addressed my other problem:

" When playing Doom 3, I encounter a tearing effect when moving around. Can this be fixed?

Answer
This is a side effect of having the Vertical Sync option disabled. Vertical Sync is disabled by default, but can be enabled through the Advanced Options."

Seems like a lot of bullshit to me as I have top notch poop with updated drivers. I thought they were going to wait for release to work this poop out. Seems like since there are very few video cards any more do to ATI and NVidia being the only to in the market I just don't understand why Id Software didn't work this poop out. Maybe I will be happy again when I go home and try these fixes but it seems like I shouldn't have to disable options on my video card to get the game to work.

Didn't you realize you were paying $54 to be a beta tester?

scottm said:
Didn't you realize you were paying $54 to be a beta tester?

The truth fuckin sucks! :contract: :doh:

our doom three just arived today. we got a new video card and losts of memory.

Last edited:
It is driving me crazy. I subscribed to this thread a while ago. But today I keep receiving emails saying that there is reply. I even un subscribed... it wont stop... please make it stop.... Please......

I just bought my copy a couple of hours ago at Circuit City for $44. I heard the game was graphics intensive, but damn.. I have a 2.4ghz P4, 128mb DDR GeForce FX 5200 AGP and 512mb of memory and it's still slightly choppy at 640x480. It's a decent video card I guess, but I think that might be the bottleneck. I wonder if more RAM would help any or if the video card is really what would improve the frame rate.

My dad has an AMD 2600, 128mb DDR GeForce FX 5800 AGP with 512mb and it still runs a little smoother at 800x600. I wonder if the 5800 is just a little faster.

Oh well. Even with running all the system options all the way down, the game still looks really good. I don't know how anyone could play it with only the minimum requirements they have on the box.

yeah the Xbox version looks crappy imo

HumboldtBlazer said:
How did you get the game so early? It wasn't out here until yesterday and to my understanding the were select stores that stayed open until midnight on the 4th it ship date. You got the dark part right and I am getting good with my mouse wheel from shotgun to flash light. I want to go home and play it some more but I am kinda scared LMAO!

The local Best Buy had it out Sunday. I was picking something else up and they were just starting to bring the boxes out about 30 minutes before close. Right place at the right time. There are also several others who managed to get a copy on Sunday.

Ok Fixed my snowy grapgics problems, guess this game gives the video card such a workout I had to turn Overdrive off (card heats up). The actually suggested underclocking it (bullshit) but once I put it back to default (412mhz) it ran without any snow. Now my problem is I am stuck in reclycling and don't know what to do? Do I just go back out on the monorail? I am dizzy from doing circles in this fliping building!!! Mcvickj did you pass that level yet? Its after communications where you send the message you go out the air lock to recycling. I have killed everyone in that building what now? Anyone?

holy poop. doom 3 sucks!!! only nice graph. the rest is crap.
go with half life 2 when it comes out.

doom 3 is just a brainless shooter. bah

petal2thametal said:
holy poop. doom 3 sucks!!! only nice graph. the rest is crap.
go with half life 2 when it comes out.

doom 3 is just a brainless shooter. bah

Well I actually really like the story (one of the resons I am still playing it) Have you even played it yet? I am having a lot of fun playing this "sucky" game!

I haven't had much time to play it yet, but my dad has played a lot and has gotten pretty far. He got tired of it after a few days. He said it's mostly the same thing... kill some monsters, find a PDA, unlock a new area and kill some more monsters. I think it becomes a little predictable too. They get creative, with the enemies surprising you and stuff, but that get's a little predictable. That's also what I'm gathering from some of the reviews.

At least it has beautiful graphics though. It's still going to set a new level at which future games are judged.