Help choosing a new truck!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are way off with redcat they are good and the aluminum is really aluminum. and the cars are amazing. traxxas used to be small and said to be terrible. look at them now that will most likely be redcat in a few years. you will hate the brand until you have one of there cars and i hated them now i have 2.

I have owned several tmaxx's and quite a few savages, ( one redcat volcano s30) of all my riggs, the redcat was the worst in comparison, I myself would advise you to consider a t-maxx or savage, their both great trucks, as is a revo, just my opinion, but parts support has Everything to do with the brand of rigg i buy, not to mention both trucks are tuff as nails. whatever you decide, just make sure you are going to be able to get parts in a timely fashion. hope this helps. mackdaddy66

I love my revo....i HATE the 3.3 it came with....didn't last no time before it was toast...i say buy a revo and a O.S.

Nothing wrong with the mill. Just do a proper break-in and you'll be fine. Just stay away from Traxxas' poor fuel...

I always liked Blue Thunder for break-in. It's nice and oily--just the thing for a hot and lean engine.

I was ok with BT as well, you just mentioned you liked a lot of oil and thought I'd mention odonnels as it has a lot.

Got ya Bryan! Never tried O'Donnels. Maybe if I ever break in another mill...

Last edited:
According to their website the oil content for the race 20% by odonnells is only 8%. A friend of mine ran odonnells and blew his engine but I think it was a coincidence that his engine blew with that fuel. I think that motor was beat on to begin with.

Thanks for all the input guys! Unfortunately It will be some time before I can buy a new truck. I spent more then the price of a revo on my wife's present this year so my toys have to wait! :doh: Thanks for all the fine tuning, I believe that is the truck I want to own. It will just have to wait a bit. I'm sure it will be to cold to break in when I get around to buying it!

It's never too cold! Heat the head with a blow dryer then fire her up! Running in the cold can be a lot of fun!

You may want to wait until spring as the colder weather tends to make you have to run on the richer side and it may be difficult to retune when the warmer weather comes back around. Just a suggestion anyway. You can run now but at a performance cost. This is when I break out the electrics and tool around with them or work on wrenching the nitros for spring time. Just my .02

Rc Addict ^^ That's what I keep saying ! ^^ But for some reason some people seem to think these engines are made of eggshells and can't take the cold weather or that it's some how bad for them. If there is snow on the ground and it's at least 20 degrees outside I know what I'm gonna be doing! Lot's of donuts and big powerslides with my Savages!

Rc Addict ^^ That's what I keep saying ! ^^ But for some reason some people seem to think these engines are made of eggshells and can't take the cold weather or that it's some how bad for them. If there is snow on the ground and it's at least 20 degrees outside I know what I'm gonna be doing! Lot's of donuts and big powerslides with my Savages!

We are expecting 3" of snow down here in West Texas today. You can count on my running the LST in it!

The reason most of us say to wait for warmer weather for break in is it's hard to keep the temp up where it needs to be for a proper break-in. If you can keep the temps in or around the 200*-220* F range you will be ok. If the engine is below 170* for break in you are going to ruin the engine. There is too much mechanical strain put on the engine if you try to run it when the engine can't get up to operative temps. I have broken in anywhere from 20 to 25 engines and this is the experience I have gained. ONCE the engine is broken in properly then yes you can do some cold weather running. But even with a properly broken in engine if I can't keep the temp above 200* while running I am putting it back on the shelf.
I am not trying to be a kill joy just trying to prevent the same costly mistake that I have made before.

Aluminum foil around the head will be called for today, count on it!

'Course my mill is solidly broken in too...

Oh I run a lot in cold weather too....AFTER break in though. I use older engines that I don't care if get ruined for colder weather. Yes mine have a little stocking cap and tin foil....just no tassel ....

Ok...I HAD a tassel.....but it got caught and chewed up in the spur gear .

Back