Help choosing a new truck!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farm boy 530

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I really like this truck.. I like it for its lower wider stance, large tires, and large engine. Problem is, its an Exceed Madstorm. Price, $220 for the .28. That's $250 to my door. I'm looking for suggestions for a 1/8 scale truck. I don't know to call the Madstorm a M/T or a truggie.. But I'm looking for something with a similar build and stance. Maybe its a truggie with larger tires I'm looking for....HELP ME OUT If its over $450 I can't even consider it.

Are you looking to bash or race? I would say a revo would be the best bet. Not only is traxxas well stocked at every LHS but they have a boatload of aftermarket as well. A revo would allow you to do both as they are a great platform to build either way you are playing. Just my .02 and I dont even own 1.............yet!

Looking to bash for sure, no racing for me. the revo does look great I just didn't want to say it so everyone doesn't jump on it. looking for all the opinions I can get! Without leading the way.

I would go with a revo, the HPI Savage is pretty badass too but may be over your budget. IMO I would go Revo 3.3 because they have ALOT of setups and parts and are total badass.

Stadium trucks generally have smaller tires intended for racing. Lower center of gravity chassis' too.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. Right now I drive an exceed froza and have had great luck with it so far. I didn't want to buy from them again only because parts support. The product is fine, not the best, but I hear the 1/8 line is much better. It is fast and runs really strong. However you can't upgrade and personalize your rig when it's an exceed... I still love the exceed mad storm. I like the stance and tire size. Also the power and price! You don't get all the goodies that you get from a revo or maxx but for the cost and the fun factor I'm still leaning that way a bit. I will get a revo in due time, could be the next truck still. Any more input is welcome!

maybe someone can tell me why and how some of those revos sit so high and some much lower? is this from upgrades or just adjustments?

So is the stock revo going to be on the taller side or a bit more squat? I'm looking to a shorter more truggie like monster truck as opposed to a MONSTER sized monster tuck.

So is the stock revo going to be on the taller side or a bit more squat? I'm looking to a shorter more truggie like monster truck as opposed to a MONSTER sized monster tuck.

I do believe that you can adjust the suspension to lift or drop it, love the truggy look

The Revo sits relativity low compared to a stock Savage or TMaxx. You would love the rig: Strong, reliable, great mill, and your LHS will always have parts for it.

I love my revo....i HATE the 3.3 it came with....didn't last no time before it was toast...i say buy a revo and a O.S.

Radcats are not very good trucks. Not even good trucks. Their composites are brittle and their aluminum is cast. I almost fell for a redcat because of the prices. Then I read reveiws and found out the truth. Hit and miss. More misses. Part support is lacking as well.

What will you be driving it on? Grass? Dirt? Pavement? Skateparks? Parking lots?

If your getting a MT (or looking at an MT) you will most certainly be jumping it off stuff at some point...

Knowing where your driving it and what you intend on doing with it helps us help you figure out what you want.

Everywhere. I have access to dirt, gravel, and pavement. Total off and rock. Grass and pasture. Pretty much looking for something universal and dependable. The Revo looks great but itll come down to cost in the end.

Well, the revo can pretty easily be made to stand tall or be low slung. With the 3.3 in it, it's a pretty good all around rig. Throw some RPM arms on it, get a new era 3 point roll bar and traxxas wing kit on it and it's then pretty durable.

Pretty much the same for a savage, sans wing.

I have found the revo to be a more nimble rig in general. It's quite a bit lighter which helps make it more nimble.

Back