GoPro Hero 3 on my Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Getting a GoPro tomorrow(not just for rc) but I'm going to be looking for a good angle to show the tire(s) and some suspension so people can get a feel for the motion and the speed. where should i mount the GoPro for a good side or third person angle, and what should i get to make the mount?

Save your money....
My gopro 3 white went into self-incinerate mode while charging after about 3 months, and gopro DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT, DESPITE IT BEING UNDER WARRANTY!!!!
I was basically told that I must have plugged it in with a NON gopro cord(NOT the case here...), and that I threw $200 out the window.....
The gopro company sucks at honoring their 1 year defect warranty.
Buy something else!!

this is a case similar to"traxxas sucks dont buy one!" or "HPI sucks dont buy one!" I've made up my mind. i asked a question about mounting my gopro. everyone discovers something bad during their life and wont buy another one, some will have the same product and never have a problem with it.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck with yours. I only got to use mine 4 times...

As for camera angles, definitely on the opposite side as the exhaust, probably between the front and rear tires.
You may find(depending on track surface) that the tire throws up too much dirt for a good video, but it's worth a try for sure.
You will more than likely have to use a self adhesive mount for it, as there probably isn't enough flat real estate on the side of the body for the vacuum mount(if your model comes with it).

The booms with the vacuum mount aren't very long and may still be closer to the body than you would like.

Use the 1080P setting for videos, the other settings have a wide angle view and it's like looking through the peep hole in a door.

I'd be interested to see how the vids come out.

ill be making videos throughout the weekend and posting some, got some editing software and I'm in the process of making an aluminum bar that mounts onto the roll bar and sticks out in between the wheels, but about an inch above the wheels so more can be seen. I'm curious to see how it comes out also

You're going to get a lot of vibration in your videos. You can upload them to youtube and use their image stabilizer. I think the resolution setting that you want is the R2 setting. That is wide angle with less horizontal view. I don't think the double sided tape will stick and hold it. See if you can drill the mounting plate and put a couple of screws in it.

Last edited:
Its rare that I have seen a vibration free video from any nitro. Experiment with mounts and pads to mount on. If mounted on body, it will vibrate like crazy.

As for the go pro, I have beat the crap out of mine rock crawling and trail riding in the 1:1 jeep, and it has been run over, bashed into trees, dropped on rocks many many times and still goes on ticking. I'd for sure go with the silver or black so you can have the playback/live on tablet or smart phone, I'm not 100% sure, but i believe that the regular 3 doesn't do that.

I just ordered a Hero3 Silver + accessories yesterday afternoon. I ordered the various mounts pack. Looking around the web, I see that some guys are making decent mount up just using the plastic piece in the retail box that holds the camera for display. Its @ 4"x4". Most of what I found had them mounting that to the roof with double side tape, or even flat rare earth magnets. I have a piece of Kydex kicking around and may see what I can come up with that.

Its rare that I have seen a vibration free video from any nitro. Experiment with mounts and pads to mount on. If mounted on body, it will vibrate like crazy.

As for the go pro, I have beat the crap out of mine rock crawling and trail riding in the 1:1 jeep, and it has been run over, bashed into trees, dropped on rocks many many times and still goes on ticking. I'd for sure go with the silver or black so you can have the playback/live on tablet or smart phone, I'm not 100% sure, but i believe that the regular 3 doesn't do that.

I'm getting the white one, i dont need the extra accessories and all that. I have a work phone and use the phone only for work related issues and emergencies. I just usually upload videos to my CP and watch them, and tinker with them. I made my mount for my GoPro yesterday and its pretty flexible so that way there is a little sway but not too much, will cause less vibration and more motion sickness to viewers xD

I've looked into the POV, i think ill make my own rather than buying one. they are nice but id like to have a few different setups! thanks for reminding me of the POV

I made mine from some PVC pipe and a castor wheel.

Did you check out that link I posted. Well worth the money dude

thats the link to the video i made, nothing major.. BUT i was having some fun doing my wheelies, LRP.32 isnt tuned yet, still running it rich. havent even got a gallon through the engine. Snapped a rear dog bone at the end. the front tires started ballooning big time so i knew something was wrong. check it out:)

Last edited by a moderator:
We want to see some videos of your big air. Take some of the truck jumping not pov

we came to this spot next to the creek to do some scale RC so i thought id get some paved footage. this weekend illl be going to the gravel pit and hitting some of the dirt bike jumps. more to come, I'm sure

Nice test vid!
I kind of liked it when the camera got tipped down and you can see the suspension working.
Bummer bout the dog bone, but that crap happens, right?

yeah i like the angle too, i love seeing suspension work when its driving along. especially when the camera isnt shaking. ill be making more with some jumps this weekend. but yeah the dogbone thing was actually pretty neat, I've never seen one break the way it did. ill post a high resolution pic to show how it broke

Looks good. I'm all excited to get mine. Tracking # shows its supposed to be here today. Hopefully the paving crew paving my cul-de-sac doesn't keep him away, as they have the entire street blocked right now. Well always tomorrow I guess. :\

hopefully it gets there for ya! they are fun, going to the levy today to do some good 30ft+ jumps with the cam onboard... if the wife lets me. ill be posting more as we go. @wwit let me know when you get some vids up

Last edited by a moderator:
Back