Glowplug after glowplug after glowplug!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorjit

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am continually burning plugs in my Revo 3.3, has anyone elsehad such severe issues around this? Below are some specifics:

- I have not tuned the high or low speed needles yet, they are still factory
- I am using Traxxas 20% nitro
- I am using the Traxxas 3232x plugs

In addition, what is the ideal head temp and where isthe best place to measure it?

Thanks

are you still in the break in process... if not start leaning the high speed first.... make her sing a little... I temp the glow plug straight down. i use 30% and TRY to keep temps 225 to 240... but all my cars are different... I will never run one above 280.. however my sons axial 32 flirts with 280 alot.. seems that is its sweet spot.

Thanks for the info.

I am several tanks out of the break in process, that's what is really frustrating me about the plugs. I will lean it out a bit and temp it.

On another note, do you know if the OptiDrives have a failsafe built in?

THanks

I could be wrong but I thought the opti crap did act as a failsafe if the rx battery got low a light would flash and the throttle would stop responding.Its been a while since I used one though and Olds always gives quality info so you don't take my word for it.

Olds97 is correct when referring to the original 2.5r. Capt chaos is correct when referring to the 3.3.

So to confirm, the Revo 3.3 OptiDrive also contains a failsafe?

You have to tune it, bro. Temp should be 250-280. That's what my buds and my maxx's bothe seem to run at when they're happiest. His is a 3.3; mine's a 2.5. Your probably rich on both needles. Adjust the low-speed until it's good and snappy and there is still blue tint to the smoke. Then dial in the high speed. LITTLE increments. 1/16 turns! Run 'er for a couple minutes between adjustments. Glow plugs should rarely fail when you have a good tune.

The manual does not mention loss of signal protection, only low battery protection as Captain Chaos mentioned, so, I guess it could be considered a half of failsafe??? For true peace of mind, you might consider adding an aftermarket failsafe.

Yeah, I think I am going to take the Optidrive out and put in a failsafe. I have a few intermittent issues with the radio and I have a suspicion it the Opti.

get a temp gun
i was running w/o a temp gun for a while and it would also burn a bunch of glow plugs after i got the temp gun I've been on the same glow plug since

Thanks

I'll get a temp gun

both my revos run perfect at 280 and i get temp at glowplug

ya mine too but i like to run it around 250-260

one gal through and still on same original glow plug

i find it odd that you are burning through so many glo plugs. i have a 3.3 5308 model revo about 2 months old, run the piss out of it. Only tuning I've done was based on my eyes and ears till this week. i've set hsn to blow a vis spit of smoke without stalling or hisitating when pinned, had lsn to shut off at 3 secs when fuel was pinched and idle set to run without engaging the clutch...that was it. When I put an on board temp probe yesterday, found I was running at a very cool 180. Leaned it out until was reading 220 and she got a little peppier but not much. Despite all my poor tuning habits, and changing from 30% to 20% fuels, i still run the original stock glow plug without issue. Not trying to sway you to one opinion or another, just sharing my experience with glo plugs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I have been using the stock plugs, I will be re-tuning it tomorrow. I am going to set the needles back to stock and go from there.

Thanks
RR

i got a 2.5r w/ o.s .18tm-i run os lc3 plugs-this engine seems to like 250f to 280f-have to adjust the tuning way to rich to lower temps and runs like crap.i really like the o.s lc3 plug-since its made for the 18tm-been runnin same lc3 for a while.

my opinion I would change fuel try trinty monsterhorsepower 20% it made a big difference in my revo I too was going through a glow plug every other day until i switched fuel now I'm on the same plug 2 gallons later

Back