Best 2 Stroke Oil For Baja

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxfreek

Hardcore RCTalk User
Firefighter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I have read alot of different threads on this, but what is the best oil to buy for a baja? Synthetic, non synthetic, i need to pick some up soon, i got some with the car Amsoil Saber full synthetic with the car.....is this a good oil to use?

When I was riding 2stroke motocross bikes I used klotz oil. It smelled like like heaven and never had any problems.

i heard clotz was the best smelling.....LOL is it full synthetic?

I use a synthetic and 87 Octane gas.

So these things run ok on 87? i was thinking 93, but 87 even better less $ per gallon

Klotz is good stuff, but you have to make sure to choose the right oil for the application. You want the R50 Techniplate, which has no castor or beanol in it. That stuff is made for other applications, and not on and off throttle like RC, and has been known to gum up RC engines. The R50 TP is made with RC gas applications in mind. The engine manufacturer CY calls for 93 octane as well. I mixed 32:1 with 93 octane and never had one issue, not even a fouled plug, ever. I'm sure you can run 87 just fine, I simply went with the engine manufacturers recommendations, and not HPI's. YMMV

http://klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=48&submit2=View

Thats what i would rather go by what the engine manufacturer says, so the 32:1 run better or does it just what you want? I just want to make sure i dont screw anything up with this car as i have come pretty attached to it, and havent even started the dern thing yet....LOL

I'm running a stock engine so the cheap gas works for me.

IS the klotz sold at parts stores or just mo mo cycle shops?:D

Thats what i would rather go by what the engine manufacturer says, so the 32:1 run better or does it just what you want? I just want to make sure i dont screw anything up with this car as i have come pretty attached to it, and havent even started the dern thing yet....LOL

I ran it 32:1 for one because it's good synthetic oil, and two you and I are at a higher elevation than some others. You lean out a four stroke as you gain elevation due to less oxygen content in the air, so why wouldn't you lean out a two stroke as well?

Also, the higher octane fuel won't give you any more power at all. Higher octane fuel is simply more resistant to detonation (pre ignition) under load in high compression applications.

IS the klotz sold at parts stores or just mo mo cycle shops?:D

Gotta get it at a good bike or Kart shop. And they may have to order the R50 TP for you, they did for me. About $11 a bottle that will do five gallons of gas at 32:1.

Ok, I will check around tomorrow in Asheville to see if they have it, If not ill just order it and have it shipped to me.
Thanks Guys

More important than octane is ethanol. Look for non-ethanol gasoline if you can find it in your area.

klotz says its only recommended for 32-50:1 mixture would i be ok mixing it at 25:1?

In my almost completely stock 5sc I run klotz synthetic at 25-1 with 89 octane gas from sunoco and also about an ounce of stabil ethanol treatment. So when I make a fresh gallon I'll put 5.5 ounces of oil then my treatment and then I'll get the gas last. The treatment is designed to fight the ethenol and drying of the fuel lines. I added the treatment to my half gallon of fuel and it seemed to have a lot more pep.

i guess i will have to order the klotz, No one close to me has it, so i guess ill have to wait some more to start my Baja......:\, i have some oil but would it be good to break the engine in on one oil and change to another?

My buddy and I run amsoil in both the baja's and gas boats, at a ratio of 25:1 for both. It came highly recommended by a very knowledgeable friend who's been in gas boat racing for years where the engines are put to the test. I witnessed the protection myself when my buddy lost his water cooling and did two laps with temps just building. I have never seen an engine so hot, 1/2 hour later it was still too hot to touch. We both figured he had cooked this freshly modded engine but upon inspection the piston showed very slight signs of seizure in one tiny spot at the exhaust port, I was amazed to say the least as that sucker was screaming! Klotz is great stuff but I'm sold on the AMSOIL Saber™ Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil

Just figured I would share with proof of what should have been a melt down lol :)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Back