baja upgrade help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverback

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
looking to put some upgrades on my baja ss been looking at some gabe brown stuff (pro mount,his tuned pipe and his shock mounts) anybody using something listed and can say it is a worthy upgrade also looking to upgrade the brakes any suggestions there?

for stock location upgrade there are a few options.

one would be the OFF/TurtleRacing Ulitmate Brake upGrade for 99.00
top rear carbon fiber plate and cf brake plate, cf Rotor with billet callipers and spacer, flanged bearings for brake cam. excellent setup for performance and looks.

next would be the TGN Rear Brake Triple pad upgrade for 60.00 billet callipers with new rotor setup to replace the star on the brake hex flanged bearings for brake cam. also a nice looking and well performing upgrade.

there are also a few other mods you can do with the stock setup to get them to work well. they very from sping mod between the pads to stop drag, cf pads, fuel line isntead of spring behind adjuster, though i prefer the stock spring setup myself. but the number one upgrade you can do for your brakes is a good heathly servo.

put 80.00 to 130.00 into your T/B servo. look for decent speed, .16ms or faster, and high torque, 220 in/oz of torque and preferable 300 or more!. this one upgrade will make the brakes do very well, and should improve your throatle control ect. just be sure to set it all up and get everything working with your radio, THEN RE CHECK YOUR FAILSAFES before you make the first run on the new throatle. would suck to hit failsafe and find out it goes WOT and not brake instead.

then there is the front and rear disc brakes options in both cable and hydro. these can run beteen 100 (Integy -ehh) to 200.00 for the RAMTech front disk brake kit. very nice units, work very well, excellent buy) to 250ish/pair of B&T Cable Disk Brake and Deluxe Cable Disc Brake for front and rear brakes, also an excellent buy. then there are the AMS Hydros which go between 350 for a pair to 700 for the full 4 wheel hydy disc brake setup.

any of the cable and hydro option require more setup, adjustment and maintenance, but REALLY make a stopping differance over the single rear brake setup.
just depends on how froggy you are, and how much money you want to throw at it.

hth
T

Last edited:
I think the servo is DEFINITELY something to consider. I skimped at the time when I built my Baja because of money, but I now have a JR with 400 oz/ in of torque. I've been very tempted to put it in the axial, but I know the baja really needs it when I do take it out and run it.

I'm using the hitec 5998 servo for the t/b do you think i should change this or go for the brake upgrade after reading the first reply he has got me thinking about my radio I'm not very good at setting them up so this led's me to belive that is some of my problem

You might want to make sure that your end points for the throttle/brake aren't turned down and the trim is set right.

Back