My Traxxas X-Maxx 8s Build Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jennys is a site that sells factory parts for cheap. The aluminum covers I referred to are traxxas factory. Jennys is just a way to get stuff like that cheap.
The only thing I can think of that's better than an Xmaxx......2 Xmaxx's. Then if one breaks, you just play with the other one while you wait on Jennys shipping.

Jennys is a site that sells factory parts for cheap. The aluminum covers I referred to are traxxas factory. Jennys is just a way to get stuff like that cheap.
The only thing I can think of that's better than an Xmaxx......2 Xmaxx's. Then if one breaks, you just play with the other one while you wait on Jennys shipping.
I think i know about her site i also found some others on eBay that sell discounted oem parts from new trucks. I also have an idea maybe keeping just my current truck and building it up and making my repairs then seeing where i go from there. Since i already own a decent truck and brand new belted tire X-Maxx's are $1,100 new before tax. I think i might be able to refurbish mine like i did Serena my XO-1. Let me know if this is the route i should take.

Major update! From the Phoenixes ashes will rise a new stronger bird, I tore down this X-Maxx in prep for my Ultimate X-Maxx build coming soon, The first picture show what i saved from the old worn out truck to transfer to the new build coming soon.
20240415_095047.jpg

This has my MX43 tires and wheels which will be cleaned and repaired if needed, the box has the center driveshaft and all 3 differentials which will get rebuilt with new fluids, greases, seals, o-rings and the front will get a new ring and pinion. I also saved the stock as i might rebuild it and pair it to either my Max 6 G1 or get a brand new MMX8s the other option would be to get a full new ESC and motor combo like a G2 Max 6 with 5690 1,250kv combo. Let me know which route i should take with the electronics for my new build.

Here's everything from my old truck.
20240414_194333.jpg

I will be buying all new chassis, body, shocks driveshafts, suspension uprights. All the old stuff will kept as spares or i will sell them off cheap. I think part of the reason i lost the screws from the front bulkhead wasn't the front diff cap i think front threads were stripped and the diff gears stripped cause it went months with no grease. But this is the perfect time to entirely rebuild the truck and build her to my spec. But it will be expensive and take awhile to save up for all the stock and upgrade parts i will need to complete her but when she's done she'll hopefully be 1,000 times better than her original form.

This red and black X-Maxx, R.I.P xx\xx\20xx - 4\13\2024, This will end this thread but i'll be making a new thread dedicated to the new build soon once i get the front for the build.

If you don't mind stock parts, Jenny's RC is a good source.
Yeah i found her eBay page and a few other sellers who have chassis' parts on the cheap i also plan to add some X-Maxx Ultimate parts like the shocks, Front diff housing covers, wheelie bar and a few other parts from it, But mostly will need chassis parts Traxxas has a stainless steel screw kit and bearing kit on their main site.

I would use a alloy steel bolts instead of Stainless. Stainless bolts strip out really easy.

I would sign up to be notified at Jenny's RC

Also these.
I see now, Even though i was kind of looking into Stainless just in case i would run my truck in wet\snowy conditions. But maybe just plain steel screws might be the better choice my truck came with some stainless installed from the previous owner.

Stainless even strips out at the head using the hex drivers. Very soft metal.

I see now, Even though i was kind of looking into Stainless just in case i would run my truck in wet\snowy conditions. But maybe just plain steel screws might be the better choice my truck came with some stainless installed from the previous owner.
Stainless still corrodes. It's the aluminum It's screwed into. Any metal in contact with aluminum will corrode. And good luck removing a corroded stainless fastener. Stainless is for medical and food industry. Not RC cars or anything mechanical.

Stainless even strips out at the head using the hex drivers. Very soft metal.
Oh really, I haven't had any issues with stainless screws but have had plenty of normal steel screws strip at the heads. So i might just get the normal steel screw set from Traxxas i also plan to get all new bearings as well.

That's fine, what ever works or you. Screwing into plastic makes a difference also so you may be ok.

That's fine, what ever works or you. Screwing into plastic makes a difference also so you may be ok.
Oh okay, And most of the X-Maxx is plastic and the only metal parts i would be screwing into would be my new motor mount and the center diff housing. So i think things will be fine whichever route i take. I just got done running my Outcast 8s EXB this afternoon and i loved it such a huge difference running that truck vs an X-Maxx so much more stable. And my O8S has a Firma 160 V2 esc and an 1,100kv HW motor so way more power and control vs the VXL-8s and 1,275kv stock setup in my
X-Maxx.

I've never ran a Outcast or the K8 or that matter but I want to build one or the other. Who am I kidding, I want to build both. ;)
I bought my Outcast 8s EXB the old roller version during the X-Mas in July sale that Horizon for $400 before the EXB V2 RTR came out. It took a few months but i got it running for first time Christmas week 2023 with the Firma 160 V2 ESC out of a new V2 EXB RTR with a Hobbywing 1,100kv motor and a radiolink receiver and 5th scale powerhd servo. And so far it been a mostly enjoyable experience as my first ever Arrma product my next one will either be a Limitless V2 or a Felony 6s BLX maybe this fall since i think i have booked this summer to building my Ultimate X-Maxx with whatever good parts from what used to be my red X-Maxx.

I built my Xmaxx and my E-revo part by part and I enjoy that more than I do running them.
I can'r remember the last time I bought a RTR other than a three of my 1/24s but they get stripped down and rebuilt anyway.

For my XO-1 and my Slash 4x4 Ultimate i bought them as rolling chassis from eBay with no tires, wheels, body or electronics. for my XO-1 which now call Serena i wanted to skip the proprietary Traxxas electronics and yes i know the XO comes with what essentially a Castle MM2 but it had "Special" programming to work exclusively with the stock TQI radio to unlock the speed governor to run 100mph and i didn't want to deal with it. For my Slash 4x4 Ultimate i already had all the electronics, tires, wheels and body from my other trucks that would work i just needed the shocks. Since most RC chop shops i know of on eBay with Ultimate Slashes and now Rustlers they take shocks off and sell them separately.

Last edited:
Big update! I decided to not do the full rebuild with all new parts and call it a new truck it'll be way too expensive so i will just refurbish and repair my current truck and reuse and whatever i can since all it needed was diff rebuilds with new front ring and pinion gears. But i might sell this truck in the future to get a new X-Maxx the new Belted tire edition or the new Ultimate version if they'll be available when i'm ready to buy it.

Big update! I decided to not do the full rebuild with all new parts and call it a new truck it'll be way too expensive so i will just refurbish and repair my current truck and reuse and whatever i can since all it needed was diff rebuilds with new front ring and pinion gears. But i might sell this truck in the future to get a new X-Maxx the new Belted tire edition or the new Ultimate version if they'll be available when i'm ready to buy it.
I promise the last big update, But i think i'm going to keep and rebuild the truck i already own since it would be hard to sell my truck even if i rebuild it and use the money to get the new truck. And besides the ultimate is cool but it's heavier with all that aluminum and i would essentially buying practically the same truck with a bunch of aluminum parts and other upgrades. The parts i would want Traxxas already sells so i could get for my truck in the future if i feel like it.

Back