X-Box or PS2?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyman

'Cuse is in the house!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, I'm thinking about getting a video game system for my kids for Christmas. But which one? It seems that the X-Box and PS2 are the more popular. Which one's better? It will be staying at my house, too, so I want to make sure I can get some cool ass games for myself. Which one do you guys like better? And what's the deal with Game Cube? It's like half the price. Is it any good? Or should I just run screaming from it?

And as a second question, where can I find a great deal on these? Ebay seems the best bet because the price seems to be the same everywhere else....

Thanks

I just went through the same dilemma and choose the X-Box.
PSII has a huge selection of games but the X seemed to have better graphics. Another factor for me is that a lot of the members here seem to have the X and use X-Box live.

When you look for price also compare what you get with the package. All come with 1 control pad. Some come with value added incentives like 2-3 games or an additional pad. If you will be using it for a DVD player look to see what the additional add on packages will cost. X-Box has a network kit (Live) that will hook up to your broadband connection.

Doesn't matter what box you choose be prepared to dig deep for the current games. Most are 39-49.00 a pop. You will be able to find a plethora of discounted games just be careful, you get what you pay for.

Don't forget to purchase an additional control pad or you will have 1 pissed off person in the household.

Happy gaming Santa.
-Ed

ps2, better games(first) ie: gta3 and vice city... , and look at socom 2 online, wicked game. plus if you read almost any www.gamefaqs.com board about xbox online games, they say cheating is rampant online, ps2 doesn't have that. and I'm not even gonna say anything about the conrollers...

Well, I like the PS2 because, I had PS1, and I can play all my PS1 games on the PS2 . Also, you have the ability to go online, and play as well. I am a big fan of TOMB RAIDERS so I need this system to play the games. But they are both very good systems. The way I pick a system is buy the type, and style of games they offer. Well good luck.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Razor
ps2, better games(first) ie: gta3 and vice city... , and look at socom 2 online, wicked game. plus if you read almost any www.gamefaqs.com board about xbox online games, they say cheating is rampant online, ps2 doesn't have that. and I'm not even gonna say anything about the conrollers...

Better games "gta3 and vice city" - Better look again, X-Box now has both of those games.

"Online cheating" Welcome to online gaming, I've yet to play ANY online game that someone hasn't figured out a way to cheat. I dont have a PS2 anymore but I'd be VERY surprised if there isn't any going on over on the PS2 side as well.

The controllers - Well I've had or have both the PS2 and the X-Box. Yes the first generation controllers for the X-Box where the biggest, most annoying controllers that any console has came out with. However all the new xbox systems I've seen comes with the new S-Controller, much smaller and fits much better in the hand. I myself like the new xbox controller then the PS2, and they only run about $20-25 each for more.

Games where is still is a pretty big issue for the xbox, but look now games are flooding to xbox, as I've mentioned Xbox now has GTA3 and Vice City - companies are noticing the demand in the xbox field and are starting to fill it. Hacks/Mods are AWESOME for the x-box and pretty easy to do it you wanted to do it yourself or even have someone else do it.

Granted the PS2 is a nice console and it does have a LOT more games then the Xbox right now, but anymore thats the only real plus I see. I've had a PS2 in the past and sold it, my roommate has a PS2 and I have an Xbox we both have Madden 2004 - the graphics on the xbox or MUCH smoother and much more realistic as the PS2 and a lil more blocker and not as detailed.

My choice is the Xbox, but I'd still recommend doing some research on both boxes before you drop any money on one of them.

-Michael

Gotta love this place. I knew if I dropped this question all the gamers would flood the place. That's awesome. So it looks like a tie so far. Based on what I am reading, I'm going to give the X Box some serious consideration. For myself, I wanted to get all sorts of games. I've seen previews and read HB's running acount of Streets of LA and am thinking I'd like that. He said it's available for both systems. I also was thinking about Grand Tourismo 3 because I'm a closet racing fan, but I don't know if anything is comparable on X Box. And perhaps something like SoCom or the new Rainbow 6 or Rogue Spear game (whichever it is). Can you tell I'm new to all this? Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming....

I have both and the only one I play any more is XBox.

I havent seen anyone cheat on Fever or Crimson Skies online (the only 2 I play except the occasional Tetris online). All the offline games are kickass too!

The kids enjoy the PS2 more since there are more games for them. My son however has been using my XBox so much lately that I had to buy another one!!! Grrrrr!

XBOX!

I went with the PS2 because my friends and family had them, and this way we could trade off games. There was a much larger selection of games for the PS2, and I could also use all my old PS1 games. But after reading this I may now need to get an X box too.

BTW PS2 needs nothing extra to use it as a dvd player.

XBOX is a superior machine when talking about technical specifications. The internal Hard disk is huge and you can copy your music for custom sound tracks. I also like the built in ethernet card as I use it to play XBOX live. I admit PS2 has more games but that is changing. Can anyone say Halo 2?

I also own a gamecube because I love the cutsey Nintendo games, I admit it is fun because me and the old lady can play for hours.

Ps2 is the top choice in my opinion. Besides it's a game console it's also a dvd player. And if u want a hard drive u can buy a 40 gb HD for the Ps2. And I also heard that the X-box may not be around ina coouple years.

XBOX!!!!!! i think that it is better than PS2 but i am not saying that PS2 is a bad system.

bryan

Originally posted by Team 17
Ps2 is the top choice in my opinion. Besides it's a game console it's also a dvd player. And if u want a hard drive u can buy a 40 gb HD for the Ps2. And I also heard that the X-box may not be around ina coouple years.

Bill decided to back the Xbox project 100 percent. He wants the market for console games and just you watch Billy boy will get what he wants. Console life is around 4-5 years and with Nintendo already have a release date for their new Nintendo Microsoft has followed with the announcement of their next console. Here's the kicker bro. Microsoft has SO MUCH MONEY that he is in house developing the graphic chip for the next console so he doesn't have to pay Nvidia (this is why MS loses money everytime they sell a console because the have to pay Nvidia a huge cut). And the Xbox is a DVD player also, and yhe point is you don't have to buy the network card and hard drive seperate, they come installed.

i perfer my PS2 over my Xbox. I'm just about to get online with it. i agree the Xbox is a better machine but id rather have the better selection of games. the only reason i still have my Xbox is because i sank $450 into all the stuff i have for it, and now you can get it new for around $300. and nobody will pay $250 for it so i decided just to keep it. i havent played it in probally 6 months.

honestly, cheating is not that big of an issue in ps2 online, i play tony hawk games, I've only seen one cheater in i, he go some 26 million points in about 15 seconds, albeit, i can get 1.5min in 30 seconds, he was obviously cheating. socom 2 cheats? no. ps2 does NOT have the cheating that xbox has, we have that dnas thing, if ur found cheating, ur blocked. cannot get back online. gta3 and VC, how many years did we have these games before xbox got them? oh wait.. that doesn't matter does it? i agree hat the xbox is a superior MACHINE, but its not actually superior in all other aspects. i had an xbox, and halo was cool, but thats the only game i had i liked. and htne i trded my xbox for a far more useful tool, a pioneer deh1500. fine by me.:mex:

I use to sell both, the xbox is more popular, you can pLAY MOST GAMES ON BOTH MACHINES, BUT XBOX YOU CAN PLAY HALO (sorry for caps) + xbox live and a host of otehr options that are better on xbox athan the outdated ps2

Originally posted by NCNitro
I went with the PS2 because my friends and family had them, and this way we could trade off games. There was a much larger selection of games for the PS2, and I could also use all my old PS1 games. But after reading this I may now need to get an X box too.

BTW PS2 needs nothing extra to use it as a dvd player.

The X-Box doesn't need anything extra either to play as a DVD player.

Originally posted by Razor
honestly, cheating is not that big of an issue in ps2 online, i play tony hawk games, I've only seen one cheater in i, he go some 26 million points in about 15 seconds, albeit, i can get 1.5min in 30 seconds, he was obviously cheating. socom 2 cheats? no. ps2 does NOT have the cheating that xbox has, we have that dnas thing, if ur found cheating, ur blocked. cannot get back online. gta3 and VC, how many years did we have these games before xbox got them? oh wait.. that doesn't matter does it? i agree hat the xbox is a superior MACHINE, but its not actually superior in all other aspects. i had an xbox, and halo was cool, but thats the only game i had i liked. and htne i trded my xbox for a far more useful tool, a pioneer deh1500. fine by me.:mex:

I'm not saying one has more cheating then the other, however I don't believe for a second there is no cheating on one system over the other.

Regarding GTA3 and VC - you pointed it out that X-Box didn't have it...all i was doing was correcting you, i didn't say anything about how long it took. In fact if it wasn't for Sony dropping the contract with the makers of GTA3 it still would only be for PS2.

I've said before games are still an issue for Xbox, but if i was you candyman I'd take a trip to your local game store and look at what game titles are out for the PS2 and the Xbox and look into what is coming out for each this will give you a much better judgement about the games.

-Michael

BTW: Razor where at in Lexington are you from? I'm down there about twice a month.

I'm in holiday hills, next to cardinal valley. lexington is by far the most boring town in all of the continental united states. anyways, my bad about the vice city thing i just worded it wrong, what i meant to say the first time is what i said the 2nd time. yes, halo was fun, but around here i dont have anybody to come over and play multiplay with too, and since its not online.. i play my ps2 online all the time. anoher thing, the xbox DOES need somethign extra to play dvds.. you HAVE to buy the dvd remote. i have a system selector (look it up) and i had my xbox selected and i wanted to watch a movie (i have my xbox and ps2 on my coffe table by my couch) and i tried to play am ovie with it, nope, u NEED the remote, so i had to stand up (a hole lot of work :\ ) and switch to my ps2. but i dont have to worry about that now, i have my ps2 going to the sys. selector, (with monster cables) then 1 monster cable goes from the output on the box to the tv's audio , and then 2 monster cables go from the box to the back of my bose wave radio, really good stuff i got set up. i love it. i just need a uhm.. Y connecter so i can have audio from tv AND radio at same time.

you can play halo online through gamespy, always could.

PS2 forever, You wait and see, playstion will be in every house. Have you heard of PSX? If you think of the first playstation when I say PSX do some research and you'll be amazed. Also look into PSP. Great stuff coming in the future guys!

Back