Wrx Sti

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RushRC

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I had a new Dodge Magnum SRT8 on order but with gas the way it is I can't justify it and looked at the Mitsu EVO and WRX STI and the STI just fit me better and fit my driving style. Do any of you guys have one and any words of wisdom before I make the plunge?

I have been told that the WRX is one of the true bargains in sporty cars. Very potent engine, AWD, great handling. I ended up getting an accord, because it fit me better, but I would take the WRX over the Magnum for sure.

Also, Consumer Reports rates it as an exceptional handler, and much better than average reliability. I don't see how you could go wrong with one.

HERE IS THE TEXT OF THE REVIEW OF THIS MODEL

Subaru Impreza
Road test

Tested model: 2004 WRX STi sedan AWD, 2.5-liter Four turbo, 6-speed manual
Tested tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE070, size 225/45R17 90W

Also see: Model overview-test results
Consumer Opinions on this car

Highs: Acceleration, braking and handling, all-wheel drive, offset crash test.
Lows: Ride, no folding rear seat, noise.

The Subaru WRX STi combines race-car-like acceleration and handling with the practicality of a four-door, five-passenger sedan. For the price, the STi is also a performance-car value. Its 300-hp, turbocharged four-cylinder engine accelerates like a high-performance V8, making it almost as quick as a Chevrolet Corvette while delivering reasonable fuel economy (20 mpg), albeit on premium fuel. The STi's nimble handling is reminiscent of a Porsche Boxster. The trade-off is a stiff ride that is jittery but tolerable. There is also constant noise from the engine, drivetrain, and, particularly, the tires. For less money, you can buy the 227-hp Impreza WRX sedan or wagon. It isn't as quick as the STi version, but it's quieter and has a more comfortable ride.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

The STi effectively absorbs road impacts and bumps but feels jittery. Highway ride is firm, and the cabin is not well-isolated. The STi feels at home on twisty roads, cornering with very little body lean. Steering is well-weighted and communicative but not very quick. Emergency handling was predictable and controllable. After some initial understeer, the STi demonstrated excellent balance in corners and in our avoidance maneuver. The 2.5-liter turbocharged engine, coupled with a six-speed manual transmission, helped the STi achieve extremely quick acceleration times. The amount of lock in the all-wheel-drive system's center differential is adjustable, but we found that it didn't make much difference. Braking performance was excellent.

INSIDE THE CABIN

The interior is put together well with quality materials and outfitted with a racing-style Momo steering wheel and sport seats. The driver's view is unobstructed except for a large hood scoop and rear spoiler. Head room and leg room are good. The comfortable cloth front seats are bolstered to firmly hold drivers in place around tight corners. The rear seats have just enough room for two adults. Access to the front seats is relatively easy, though rear access is more difficult. Controls are readable and well-placed. The illuminated gauges are clear, but the optional turbo-boost gauge blocks the temperature display. Controls let the driver adjust the height of HID headlights. Cabin storage space is limited. There are two sturdy, narrow cup holders in the center console and a flimsy one in the dash. The rear seat doesn't fold.

SAFETY NOTES

Side-impact air bags mounted in the front seatbacks are standard in the STi and supplement three-point front seatbelts that have adjustable anchors for an improved fit as well as pretensioners and force limiters for reducing belt slack and forces in the event of crash. Rear passengers also have three-point belts and the outboard positions have adjustable upper anchors like the front. Head restraints integral to the racing style seats in front are tall enough to limit rearward head travel, but the small integral restraints in the outboard rear seats and lack of restraint in the rear center are inadequate Driving with kids: The owner's manual does not recommend installing child restraints in the rear center seat due to the contour of the seat and indeed both infant and convertible rear-facing seats were not secure there. Some rear-facing infant seat bases may also have some tilt in the rear outboard seats. There are three tether strap anchors installed on the rear parcel shelf and lower LATCH anchors in the rear outboard seats. The LATCH anchors are shallow enough to provide ease in attaching and detaching LATCH straps.

RELIABILITY

We expect reliability to be better than average, according to our latest subscriber survey.

I hope I didn't violate any rules in listing this, if so, please let me know and delete my post.

The STi is a hell of a car. Its VERY fast and handles VERY well. Its one of the highest performing cars you can get in that price range, but for all that performance you lose everyday comfort. Who cares? lol I like them. I would probably get the Mitsubishi just cuase of looks, they are very similar.

Humboltblazer just bought one. He loves it from what i've read.
Send him a pm.

From what i hear, don't expect anything better than 16mpg REALISTICALLY. But it's a REALLY REALLY REALLY fun car. Great torque for everyday driving, but it's got enough potential to do jsut about anything competitively drag racing, autocrossin, track days...

Wow!!! That's crappy milage out of a 4 banger... especially with turbo. I would have never guessed!

I get consistent 25mpg with my Merc!

Yeah the STI will put the Evo to shame. Sti are VERY nice cars, and can really pull in some good numbers. Also they handle like a dream. There was a buddy of mine from my auto club that had his for sale, but I think he just sold it. Was a damn nice car.

4u2nv, I have read articles in car maginzines comparing these cars head to head. THe performance nembers are almost identical. Both cars put up amazing numbers, I just like the looks of the Mitsubishi.

jetmechG550 said:
BMW 330, the residual sucks on the WRX.

Based on my research the STI holds the value fairly well and I have owned 2 Bimmers a 850i and a 750iL. Back then maintenance was out of site - on the 750 a headlight was $300 not installed just the freaking light!
Used STI's still bring in top $$ where as the 330 drops by larger percentage so I would have to disagree with you.

That's the old BMW, the maintenance plan is tops, as a matter of fact you don't pay a dime for anything for the first 4 years 50K. Oil changes, wipers, light bulbs, Inspection 1, whatever. The 330 has one of the highest 3 year residuals out there for a car in it's class. BTW, how long ago did you have the 850i? Don't see too many around anymore.

Very nice car, i'd take it over the RX-8 or Evo.

All I can think of that you should know about is the fuel milage.

Evo 8 is a all around better car than the sti and rx8. If you had a few weeks i could tell you why. If you think of modding the evo it will throw your warrantee right in the garbage but other than that it is a GREAT car. If you just want a stock car and have no plans to do anything to it then its a toss up between the evo and the sti . The rx8 is not in the same class.

I would have to say the rx-8 takes the cake in the looks department. it really needs a turbo for more power. but... it has a few issues. It's handling is top notch, world-class from every review I have read. now the downside. 13-15 mpg city, premium gas. and, if you use it on a short trip, and it doesn't warm up completely, it can flood. unheard of in a modern car, but that's the wankel for ya! that is the main reason I am not driving one. Instead I got an 2005 accord v6. I know, not in the same class as the wrx or mitsu, but it has a lot of power (240hp), and very comfortable, and 25-28 mpg mixed driving. I have never read anything bad about the WRX, except it's not a terribly exciting looking car, imo.

The Rx-8 probably has the best interior, it's lacking some bottom end imo.

As far as MPG, the WRX only gets you around 15.

As far as your Honda goes 1500, I am impressed with their latest TL and RL.

The RL is priced too high though if you ask me, for 50 grand, I would honestly want a little more, its a little on the small side for 50.

Mine is a coupe, San Marino Red with tan leather interior. All options except the nav system. 0-60 is about 7.2 seconds. 5 speed auto (I wanted the 6 speed manual, but wife can't drive a manual slush box). I paid about $25,000, and it's more than I could ask for in a car. I may add the HPP performance springs to stiffen it up, and maybe some better tires. The stock tires don't grip too well, imo. I had my eye on the wrx, as far as a really nice performance car, but the Honda just does everything well.

Back