Wouldn't it be nice to get more life out of old piston/sleeve sets?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by pre1960
And you other cool cats better leave your little sisters EasyBack oven alone.

4wheeler.jpg

Pre1960, you were the guy I was thinking of, sorry for the mix up, tool and die maker not machinist

Ut o Easy Bake oven

Sorry Woodie for spamming your site, I didn't take the time to realize that what I was doing was a bad thing, I just figured that people don't always look in the other forums and I was trying to get as many peoples attention as I could. Again, I apoligize for my action and will be more considerate.

What can your tools do that a "easy bake oven" can't

anyone?

I guess I will just say, if it's working for you, go with it. I can't say for sure, because I've never tried it, but I can't imagine that being a fix that will last too long, heating it that hot and not cooling it properly may mess with the temper of the piston and make it wear out even faster than before, I really don't know. Compressing the sleeve is a sure fire way of making it like new again, and I know you'd like the results of running a compressed sleeve.

Seriously?

You can stick a worn P&S into an oven and it will be like new? I'd like the details on how to do this! :) or is it just a smart remark lol. I don't know... I am new to this as well, but if it can be done that easy hell! I'd do that then spend 50 bucks Canadian on a rebuild :D

I would never do it, doesn't sound good to me, but I compress the sleeve, that works!

I know, doesn't sound to safe for the piston's sake.

Say... has anyone done this before with good result's? I still would like to give it a try if it is promising.

Alright guys Pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees and place your piston and sleeve (inside each other) on the rack for about 15 minutes and then let cool. Any other questions? This is an old trick of the pro's that i learned and it does work. Weather or not it wears out faster, No it will wear just as fast as when you compress it. If you don't know what your doing maybe you should pay to have it done, but me personally I've done it and it works just like knew.

....................:bandit:

Last edited:
Kmart blue light special...Easybake ovens. Nitropower/Squeezy(or what ever your salected name is on this Forum) arn't you gona defend your hightech squeezomatic??? Ok , RC GOD let me give you a clue on what happens at temperatures of 500 degrees and avove. SEPERATION... As with the sleeve brass base and chrome plating having extream deffirance in coefficient thermal expansion/conrtaction rate. Although I am putting great emphasis to the term seperation for readers to understand the result I am driving at, At the very least , excessive heat will create a stress point...AND..."Stress finds it's weakest point ...BAM! Evenmore, Although this proceedure will tighten piston/sleeve fit below the flange area, the focus should be at the pinch point and taper leading as produced by manufacturer. Finally, Although there is no longivity offered to your adopted proceedure, and will not reinstate compression close to that of which my tooling .....Your methode resopnse does show minimal addvantages as compred to others I've heard these past weeks. Please don't strike me with lightning!!!!! Poor Squeezy

lol

Well said, I was thinking the same thought's as you were with the stress.

Cry me a river, I just said it works and it does but if you like your method better than to each his own. I'm not telling people not to use your method, just some people like the cheap and easy way to fix it.

......................:bandit:

I'm with ya, nothing wrong with experimenting and using physics to work things out, that's what it's all about! I didn't figure out how to properly compress sleeves the first time, it took some experimenting and R&D. I agree about the termal expansion charactoristics being much different and causing stress, but I guess if you are desperate and don't mind the risk of weakening the bond of the chrome plating leading to possible chipping of the chrome, the set is already worn out, so I guess try it if you don't care about reliability issues.

Last edited:
"I CAN FIX IT......I CAN FIX IT......MY OLE MAN IS A TV REPAIRMAN.....HE'S GOT AN AWESOME SET OF TOOLS". Sorry, folks! I realy didn't realize this was a young kid untill now. now you guys can beat me up on my thread...I deserve it! Fooled me!

Go home it's geritol time!

.................:bandit:

THAT WAS DOWN RIGHT MEAN I TELL YOU!!!!!! Car God, I was being nice to you. You took my post out of context with more incougagement than deserved. "Evenmore, Although this proceedure will tighten piston/sleeve fit below the flange area, the focus should be at the pinch point and taper leading as produced by manufacturer. Finally, Although there is no longivity offered to your adopted proceedure, and will not reinstate compression close to that of which my tooling".

Lost me. :madface: Who is the young kid you are talking about pre1960?

Last edited:
Originally posted by pre1960
"I CAN FIX IT......I CAN FIX IT......MY OLE MAN IS A TV REPAIRMAN.....HE'S GOT AN AWESOME SET OF TOOLS". Sorry, folks! I realy didn't realize this was a young kid untill now. now you guys can beat me up on my thread...I deserve it! Fooled me!

Originally posted by Car God
Go home it's geritol time!

.................:bandit:

emptyroom.jpg

Last edited:
What ever, Like i said i'm not saying your way is bad cause for all i know it works and i think you should patten the procedure. What i was talking about was a secret of the pro's and if your's works better than cool. So don't get your panties in a bunch. Remember where all here to help each other not put each other down.

......................:bandit:

Back