Working hood scoop

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still dont see any benefit. The length is causing more drag on air trying to get to the motor. As for the air being cleaner, thats what a filter is for.

The point of Rolex set up isn't cleaner air,it's trying to get cooler/more dense air for better performance.

I agree though,the long tube seems to me will rob flow and destroy any possible gains. If it were to ever run :hehe:

And I think longer tube will affect on acceleration but on top speed its beneficial cause the velocity of the air that the engine sucks will become more compress and fast.

I dont think it will help top end at all.. If the air isnt being delivered as fast as it needs to go, nothing about a longer tube filter is going to do a thing... I think the only way is have Ralph open the glass case, drop some nitro in her and give us an accurate assesment.

When you drink soda with a straw it doesn't speed up by the time it gets to your mouth, think about it.

Last edited:
And I think longer tube will affect on acceleration but on top speed its beneficial cause the velocity of the air that the engine sucks will become more compress and fast.

By your theory of it compressing the air, it will actually make the motor run harder to retrieve the air necessary for continued combustion, thus resulting in more heat finally making the motor LESS efficient.

Ok, i know more bout 1:1s than these nitros, but how does it have more drag? Considering the tube is the same width throughout, and it fits over the carb. So theres a bigger diameter alowing more air, regardless of length, please explain. It would be good info for us new guys to the nitro world.

Perhaps we should ask this question first. How much suction does an 1/8 Big block nitro carb have to begin with?

They don't suck. That's why they have pressure coming from the exhaust to the fuel tank and need to be primed before they'll run.

So then having the tube won't hamper the performance? It just has more usable air on tap, well that's my though anyway

I dont think it will help top end at all.. If the air isnt being delivered as fast as it needs to go, nothing about a longer tube filter is going to do a thing... I think the only way is have Ralph open the glass case, drop some nitro in her and give us an accurate assesment.

When you drink soda with a straw it doesn't speed up by the time it gets to your mouth, think about it.

If you compare liquid vs gas(air) they have difference. In a filter tube there is already presence of air inside and once the engine continue sucking air through longer pipe it develops a more pressure and velocity of the air. In a liquid that you gave example is a soda in a straw it starts from the bottom and think also air is lighter than liquid.
And ok, lets apply on solid materials, example a gun with a longer barrel can produce more power compare to a shorter barrel. think also about that.

lets apply on solid materials, example a gun with a longer barrel can produce more power compare to a shorter barrel. think also about that.

That theory does not apply as a solid. The longer barrel gives more time for the rapidly expanding gasses to propel the bullet.

That theory does not apply as a solid. The longer barrel gives more time for the rapidly expanding gasses to propel the bullet.

So maybe liquid does not also apply on that theory. Since we are talking about Air. That's my point.

My point is the velocity of pull through the tube doesn't increase as the engine is pulling one continuous amount of air as your mouth pulls the same velocity when you drink through a straw

ok, each one of us has its own idea, and its great of sharing it to each other. Because when am modifying 1:1 engine, with carb (small block or big block chevy we put shorter velocity stack if we want to get low end power and a longer one for top speed. velocity stack (its like a tube with a bigger openning on the other side.http://forums.themustangsource.com/...7318995-5-0-3v-velocity-stack-efi-5.0-efi.jpg

1:1 & nitro engines = oranges & apples.. Alot of things alike but also very differant.

One point I'd like to make is that nitro has been around for many years. 20+ easy. Many people that work on 1:1 also have nitros, dont you think that if this stuff would be beneficial all the racers would be using it? If you really want to know your answer talk to a company that makes the blocks. Us sitting here talking about it does nothing. Not to mention you don't even have a dyno to test it. so until either A. Someone has a dyno, and other hardware to test out theories, or B. an engine manufacturer, or racer says that this will or won't work its all a mute issue.

One point I'd like to make is that nitro has been around for many years. 20+ easy.

Actually, almost 70 years, now.

• In 1947 Cox developed a racing car which used an engine manufactured by Cameron Brothers. The cars sold for $19.95 and generated $200,000 in sales in their first year of production.

• In 1949 Cox developed their own engine for their racing tether car which included some parts from Mel Anderson's Spitzy engine. This engine was called the "O Forty Five" as it was .045 cubic inch displacement.
In 1950 with sales of the car proving to be a success Cox moved on to development of a model plane engine.[2] Roy, felt the need for dependable, easy-to-start engines and spent the better part of the year 1950 in research. (actually 8 months)[3] His three man engineering crew (himself, Mark Mier and Bill Fogler)[4] spent 7 days a week, day and night, to develop the ‘.049 Space Bug’ contest engine.[5] The end result was the Space Bug .049 Contest engine, Cox's first model plane engine which was completed in October 1951

I wasn't sure how long I just knew for sure since the 70's So that would be forty years. wow.. 70 years I didnt think it was anywhere near that number.

Back