Who was wrenching today??? What did you do??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My M2C A block arrived today so Sledge Sunday is on track.

The Traxxas motor in my Outcast 6s came loose today and ground the pinion down to nothing. Instead of bolting it back on with a new pinion I decided to install my Hobbywing Porky 1650kv and matched it to a 20t pinion. The motor has been sitting in my junk bin for about a year now waiting for a project, maybe the Outcast is it.

Tomorrow morning we'll find out if they work or not.

Outcast 6S has a sliding motor mount?

Was it the motor screws or mount clamp screws that came loose?

Just curious... Tekno has a sliding mount as well but hasn't been an issue so far.

The mounting plate to motor screws came loose. I attempted to mount a 3m motor to a 4m mounting plate. It did work for a while till I started doing big air launches.

I have a lot going on……
IMG_0101.jpeg

Haven't done much wrenching over the past month. Been too busy.

I did manage to replace all the broken parts and make a new front deffuser on the Typhon after crashing it a 111mph(I think).
Also fitted a smaller spur.

20231224_142230.jpg

The resurrection of Blue Pig.

The picture to the left was the Pig on its hay day. It died a slow death of never ending rear diff issues. I've decided to try it again, this time with 500k in the center diff. The theory is with more power being pushed forward the rear diff will have a better chance of surviving. It has been heavily scavenged so there's not much left to it. I'm gutting my Outcast for the parts I don't have. When I have it together I'll post a picture.

Dunno. Kinda sorta working up a project back-fitting a TRX steel gear tranny conversion for one of my legacy full-prep dragsters. Thought is to convert it to no-prep. See how it comes together. So far 32p gears and a 10.5/4000Kv sensored mule for power. Building from the center out. Narrowing the swing arms is the next challenge. A work in progress or not? See how it shakes out. Building out of the spares box.

20231227_155922_forum resize.jpg

20231227_155825_forum resize.jpg

Blue Pig progress report.
Well, sort of. I went back for round 2. The truck is almost ready to drive. The rear Vitavon hub carriers need bearings but the plastic ones will get me through the weekend. I haven't driven a Kraton for a while, I'm looking forward to this weekend.

20231227_191913.jpg

Installed new wheels/tires my wife got me for Christmas on my xmaxx. Had to wrap them and balance them first. Took a lot of lead tape to get them to be even close to balanced... So far, I just had the stock 8S xmaxx tires on it that I had wrapped/balanced after getting the truck used. One is tore, that I patched and at least 2 of the wheels are cracked.

These are about 4oz heavier on each corner and a bit taller, so hoping it won't cause me to have diff/heat issues:
2023-1226-xmaxx-sledgehammers-side.jpg

2023-1226-xmaxx-sledgehammers-front.jpg

Also installed alloy wheel hexes/hubs and xt90 battery plug holders so I don't have to fiddle with strapping them down each time:
2023-1219-xmaxx-xt90Clamps-top.jpg

I got the front end of my MT410-2.0 assembled and mounted to the chassis plate... will put a pic in my build thread.

Applying RC Body Armor to my new body. So far the armor works well and has sealed a crack in the new body from the very first race. I think the new shell I got is defective/bad material or something because it's just cracking like crazy even without any hard crashes. Oh well.

IMG_0560.JPEG
IMG_0565.JPEG

Applying RC Body Armor to my new body. So far the armor works well and has sealed a crack in the new body from the very first race. I think the new shell I got is defective/bad material or something because it's just cracking like crazy even without any hard crashes. Oh well.

View attachment 177937View attachment 177938
Never heard of that stuff before. Is it carbon fiber tape?

It has a carbon fiber "look" but I don't think it is. I'm not exactly sure what it's made from but it is a fabric and not paper and is very thin but does not tear easy at all. Here's the link to their website: https://rcbodyarmor.com/
Ah, I have seen the site before. I recognize the logo now.

If the glue on the tape is good, then it's probably at least less of a mess to use than drywall tape/shoe goo. If it's that thin, then likely less heavy than gorilla tape also.

Shortened the right side swing arm and got a test fit with the bearing hub in place. Comes next the left side swing arm. Then to shorten the already shortened half-shafts even more. And the beat goes on. . .

Was up in the attic looking at the dragster chassis. Yet to bring it down until time to make the baseplate for rear clip mounting.

20231228_142606_forum resize.jpg

20231228_143742_forum resize.jpg

Ah, I have seen the site before. I recognize the logo now.

If the glue on the tape is good, then it's probably at least less of a mess to use than drywall tape/shoe goo. If it's that thin, then likely less heavy than gorilla tape also.

So far the glue on the tape has been solid. Definitely a lot cleaner than shoe goo and it is thinner/lighter than gorilla or standard duct tape.

Today all day I completely rebuilt my Vintage Trans Am TT01-E. I experimented and put some pretty thin oil in the diffs to reduce drag, rebuilt the shocks, changed the gearing, set camber, toe, etc and put in a hobbywing system. I took out the sway bars completely to allow some chassis roll. Needs a receiver and an updated servo would be nice but it'll do.

IMG_3618.jpg

Today all day I completely rebuilt my Vintage Trans Am TT01-E. I experimented and put some pretty thin oil in the diffs to reduce drag, rebuilt the shocks, changed the gearing, set camber, toe, etc and put in a hobbywing system. I took out the sway bars completely to allow some chassis roll. Needs a receiver and an updated servo would be nice but it'll do.

View attachment 178001
Nice work on the motor wires. What is your trick to maintaining the 90deg bend? Makes for a tidy install where space is tight on 1/10 mid-motor chassis.

Nice work on the motor wires. What is your trick to maintaining the 90deg bend? Makes for a tidy install where space is tight on 1/10 mid-motor chassis.

Thanks! I had my LHS solder the motor to the ESC outside of the chassis. I asked them to make the wires pretty short. Then I installed the motor and meshed the gearing to the motor plate first, and then that allowed me to make that 90 degree bend when I mounted the ESC with servo tape.