1. Ask questions. Share your knowledge. Register TODAY!

Which Large RC?

Discussion in 'Large Scale RC' started by hamz9561, May 8, 2007.

1. hamz9561

hamz9561 Proud Short Bus Rider Supporter Veteran

I'm looking at buying a Large scale RC in the near future. I live in the Upper Rio Grande Valley with the sand and the sticker burrs. I'd like to keep it under $1500 without upgrades or radio.

2. ImBroken

ImBroken Still Lurking... Supporter

Well... From what I've been reading, you cant go wrong with the 5B. Parts are everywhere, and the following is huge on the large scale forums...

3. Tweak

Tweak RCNT Addict

5B all the way man.

Not a nitro but IMO better bang for the buck, flat out. these things are like miniature tanks, definitely worth the extra cash in the long run. You think your Savage is tough? Wait till you get a load of one of these things, and they look and roll AMAZING in sand/dirt.

4. 4u2nv

4u2nv Gone - bye bye.

I love my 5b.. With all that sand by ya, itd kick major ass!!

5. olds97_lss

olds97_lss RCNT VIP Supporter

From all the vids I've watched, th 5B looks like a blast in sand and loose stuff. However, the shocks are reported as fragile and I've seen many front arms/axles snap right off on bad landings. So your going to want to stock up on a few parts before you get rough with one.

6. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin Staff Member

The Baja 5b might be my next purchase but I have to say I'm extremely happy with my FG Monster Truck!

-Michael

7. .21Rc10GT

.21Rc10GT Hardcore RCNT User

Olds, supposedly HPI fixed the weak arm problem a little bit ago, and replaced them with stronger ones. I think I got the batch with the stronger arms, as I have landed pretty damn hard on the front and only broken a steering knuckle. I got 3 of those now!

8. fastflee

fastflee RCNT Talkaholic

Hey get a baja I have two now did have three but hooked a kid I sponsor up, the only thing that has gone wrong on me was servo gears and tire getting ripped up and well it was all my own doing not the car this thing rocks

9. preludetospeed

preludetospeed RCNT Rookie

I have to ask because i am what you all.....ohh whats the name....ohh yeah cheep. What about this one on ebay for 500 bucks. It is 1/5 scale and comes with radio and everything. It looks like the 5b but with an ugly red body on it. Anyone know about these??

10. hamz9561

Do you have link to the fleabay sale item?

11. frumpy

frumpy RCNT Rookie

12. .21Rc10GT

.21Rc10GT Hardcore RCNT User

Looks like a Smartech to me. A bad knock off at best. They even use HPI's tires and rims! LOL

13. fastflee

fastflee RCNT Talkaholic

Nooooooooooooooooooo Dont Doooooooooo Itttttttttt Breaks To Easy And No Parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. fourwheeler

fourwheeler RCNT Racer

You have to wonder when they have to put this in the auction,

ALL SALE FINAL

15. olds97_lss

olds97_lss RCNT VIP Supporter

That's good to hear. I doubt I'll ever buy anything over 1/8 scale though. Aren't there a few places that make aluminum arms for it anyway? That may help since there's so much material. Even though in most cases bashers shy away aluminum, but on the 5B, the parts are so large and beefy that aluminum may hold up quite well.

Or wait until flex tech comes out with some...

16. midnightmaniac76

midnightmaniac76 RC Newbie

New guy here,I'm interested in buying a 5B.Where is the cheapest place to buy?I have built a few show trucks now I want to get into the 5B Monster.Any sugestions?

17. fastflee

fastflee RCNT Talkaholic

BUY A BAJA THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:buggy1: :buggy1: :buggy1: :fro: :fro: :fro: :fro: :fro: :fro:

18. fastflee

fastflee RCNT Talkaholic

Yep as posted before get a baja I'm out at the coast camping and ran my baja tonight in the sand man these things love the sand when it is smoothe and damp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try and get some pictures tomarow...

19. hamz9561

Well, after purchasing a Baja 5b from another member (thanks again Nitro Buzzard), I had it out to play today. I've kind of been busy after trying to take care of things with my father's estate and haven't much time to play. After about half a tank of gas through this beast and a torn skid plate, I was all smiles. I now understand why everyone that owns them loves them!

20. pitmaster

pitmaster RCNT Qualifier

hmmm i think i need to get one. seems like a ton of fun. with the real gas cars lol.

21. screamin chicken

screamin chicken RC Newbie

The HPI Baja is nice, my buddy has one with the 30.5 and it pretty darn fast not as fast as my Fg stadium but pretty clos. I think I may look into a MCD next myself.

22. pitmaster

pitmaster RCNT Qualifier

man i think I'm gonna have to pick a hpi baja up dam these things are killer i got to drive one that this hobby store owner had today holy crap. i want right now. hes selling for 1k thats with tax . prolly gonna get one in few months dam. GASSSSS

23. Timmahh

Timmahh RCNT Addict

fyi, they can be had for about 900 shippped. maybe your LHS will do a bit of price matching, considering you ll likely be getting parts from him.

24. screamin chicken

screamin chicken RC Newbie

Hey Timmahh see your here also....

25. FastEddy

FastEddy The Slowest Guy In Town