which buggy to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceuler

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm new to the hobby and I'm looking at nitro 1/8 buggies. I am trying to decide between the Ofna Ultra LX One and the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport Black Edition. The hyper 7 is what originally caught my eye. I think it is an awesome looking buggy. When i went to my LHS he pointed out the Ultra which i like as well, but not as much as the hyper 7. The salesman felt the ultra was a little more durable and the hyper a little more race oriented. I am looking for something fun and durable with a good parts/hop up parts base. I already plan on upgrading the servo's in either buggy. Please let me know which one you would prefer and why. They both run around 300 dollars which is another good point about them. Thanks for your help.

The Hong Nor LXone is a very strong buggy, and very tuneable. I have one with a Force .32 in it, (unraceable) but it is unstoppable.
Dont forget to check out the X1 CR. Also from Hong Nor..
Just as a footnote. Hong Nor and Ofna are the same company.

the x1 is nice, but at 500 dollars with no engine, it is not in my budget. thanks for your input.

I've been nothing but pleased with my Ultra LX One. Steering servo failed after about 2/3 of a gallon, but I expected that to happen.

Engine break in went well, it has good overall power, and runs great at the LHS track. Normal things apply as far as checking the tires before the first run, fastener tightness, etc... but so far I haven't had a problem with it aside from things that came from my own carelessness. (Mental note, when you're just practicing and you get into a jump at a bad angle, brake and coast over the jumps instead of trying to correct and nail it.)

Overall, it seems to be a tough buggy with lots of upgrades available. Everyone I've talked to at the LHS has said it's a really good buggy, and I'm inclined to agree.

thanks for your help jdr. I am aware of the servo issues, as i have already planned on replacing the servo before it leaves the store. I really appreciate your help. How about the radio, does it seem to do OK for you? Did you install a fail safe on it? thanks again for your help.

Having owned both, go Hyper 7. They are more tuneable, and have tons of factory hop-ups.

thanks for your help jdr. I am aware of the servo issues, as i have already planned on replacing the servo before it leaves the store. I really appreciate your help. How about the radio, does it seem to do OK for you? Did you install a fail safe on it? thanks again for your help.

I didn't care for the radio, so I picked up a better radio from a friend a few days after buying the buggy.

check out the hot bodies site for rc you may find your dream car;);)

Isnt a .32 engine too big for a first timer?? :whhooo:

No. A .32 isnt too big for a first timer. They dont have to be driven like they're stolen, you can take it easy if you want to.
In actual fact when you think about it a .32 in a buggy lets you tune it rich which gives you better engine life, and is more forgiving with small temperature changes than an "on edge" tune.

I tell ya that .26 on my buggy is bad ass! That thing goes from fast to crazy fast. But I am a bit more use to a 3.3 but I have had picco .21 . I say the ofna ultra lx comp with the .26 or .28 is a great way to go. And it is a great price.

No. A .32 isnt too big for a first timer. They dont have to be driven like they're stolen, you can take it easy if you want to.
In actual fact when you think about it a .32 in a buggy lets you tune it rich which gives you better engine life, and is more forgiving with small temperature changes than an "on edge" tune.

Agreed. I picked up a better radio off a friend of mine, set the EPA for the throttle at less that wide open, have it tuned slightly rich, and have been having a blast running and tweaking on it.

Granted, I run a .28 until I get a .21. =)

Wow and i was thinking of chosing between the 1/10 DBX and the 1/8 Inferno .21

So maybe i should think again and spend my money wisely on the 1/8 .28???

1/10 Kyosho DBX .18 - £150 pp

1/8
Inferno .21 - £175

Inferno .28 - £245

What you think is best??

Back