what to buy??!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistidNitro

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello everyone! I am new to the rc hobby and am looking to buy a t-maxx but dont know if i should buy used or new? i have a couple questions...how is the new tmaxx compared to the older ones?same parts or different things on it is it worth it to buy a new one..servo wise and things i heard they don't turn good..is the 3.3 motor better or worse then the 2.5??any help would be appreciated thanks!!

If its your first nitro rig - BUY NEW!! You will save yourself a ton of aggrivation buying new as you wont be taking over someone elses headache of an improper tune or hidden broken parts. I've never owned the 3.3 to talk good or bad about it but did have the 2.5R for about a 1/2 gallon (Not long at all) until I blew it up and went for an OS .18. Due to the stock electronics and weight of the truck the servo is by no means overpowering but does its job good enough to not worry about it right away

Deff agree with phins, buy a new one save the hassles
if you were to buy a used one factor a new motor into the cost coz most used nitros have been thrashed and not well looked after
I think the 3.3 is a great little engine for its price just make sure you break it in properly and you will be rewarded with a great truck for years to come

Ok well i was looking at the new traxxas t-maxx for around 459$ or i found a couple on cl for 200 but they will take 180 so I didnt know if i should go for that or not here are the links for the two (1) http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tag/3383215298.html (2) http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tag/3383215747.html .......or should I still stick with new i heard the 3.3 was bad anyone had that experience with it? That is what i had to do to my rc10gt i got it used I had it a week and ended up putting a new motor in it.

Well I ended up buying a new t-maxx 3.3 2.4 ghz I'm about to unbox and break it in thanks for the input!

nice one
wow there is a big price difference from what i paid for my maxx i ended up paying nearly $900 for mine but i am australia so it must cost bout $350 to ship them to my lhs lol

Take your time breaking in the engine and follow the instructions it will help the engine last a really long time. You do not need to break in the engine in one day.

The stock servo is only 80 Oz and a 125 Oz Servo will assist in streering it better. Traxxas uses the same spline count as Futaba and a S3305 is a 125 Oz Servo with metal gears.

Another trick is to purchase a 5 cell hump pack NiMH 1400 MaH or better. I fitted my TRX 2.5 with a charging jack so I would not have to remove the pack everytime I recharged it.

I would buy new and I would buy a Savage instead of a t-maxx but either way buy new :)

Well I broke it in then my first tank after breaking it in broke the slipper clutch, my own fault i didnt check it from factory so fixed it with the aluminum disks. but its running good i am having some high idle problems so wondering what i should do there?? I will post some youtube videos soon I mounted my gopro on it so got some videos so you will be able to hear it. Well thanks for all the input i will post pics today sometime.

A high idle can mean your lsn is on the lean side,an air leak or your idle screw is open too much

Hey twistid, we should get together and do some bashin sometime...I figured u lived near sac since u were lookin in the sac craigslist. Playin with the maxxs r fun alone, but way more fun if ur bash with a buddy

Bashin

Well finally got a day off and got to do some bashin. Took me a while to get the carb dialed in still having some little issues but I have been working on it,some idling issues still i have to run it really rich for it to stay cool and keep a idle but the idle is still erratic. MrFerly i am in yuba city outskirts so if your close then definitely we could do some bashin let me know,

Twistid, I actually live in colfax. Have tons of good bashing areas around. Got a brand new engine that I'm waiting to break in. Waiting for a warm day to do that but that probably won't come until spring. Debating on if I should just do the winter break in, just worried kuz I wanna do it right since the break in process is so important

sounds to me that ur too lean on the bottom and compensating on top,also once the motor breaks in it will idle higher being that the fit loosens a lil

The stock servo is only 80 Oz and a 125 Oz Servo will assist in streering it better. Traxxas uses the same spline count as Futaba and a S3305 is a 125 Oz Servo with metal gears.

The stock servo is a ball bearing unit with 125 oz/in of torque. It won't last forever, but I wouldn't worry about it right now.

You also don't need to do the whole break in process in one day either, I did mine in 2 days and got a little over 2 gallons through it and my pinch is almost the exact same as new. But I do have a losi aftershock let.

The last time I decided not to do a break in in one day I kept forgetting what tank I was on,even lost the piece of paper I had it marked on,...I must have went through 12 tanks,lol,