Transmitter recommendation for multiple rigs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Just getting back into RC cars and trucks after a long hiatus. I started in the hobby in the 80s with a Frog and then Kyosho Turbo Ultima, and then eventually got a Tmaxx and RC10GT in the late 90s. I got back into the hobby when my kids wanted rock crawlers, so I got two TRX4Ms and an Axial SCX24.

Right now I'm in the process of converting my Tmaxx and RC10GT to electric (brushless) but am at a loss for which transmitter to buy. I see many recommendations for the FlySky GT5, and some for Radiolink. I'm not yet familiar with all of the new terminology and technologies.

Any recommendations or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help, and Happy New Year!

If you just want a decent radio to get you going, the Flysky GT3B is on Amazon right now for around $35. I'd start there because you can always use it as a secondary later on if you decide to buy a nicer one. You really cannot beat it for the money.

I have a couple Flysky GT3B, very good budget transmitter,
and a Spektrum DX5C. Good radio but three times the cost of the Flysky.
Anymore, I try to have a radio for each of my rigs because my grandkids run them.

The Flysky GT3b that I currently use actually came together with a nitro RC deal yet it's always been doing it's job. In fact I'm running out of receiver memory and might buy a new one😂 I like the customizations, price and 10 vehicle memory

Last edited:
I have a SkyFly Noble NB4 that I'm very happy with. I run everything I own off of it. It can be run left or right handed as well (I drive left handed).

For the extra $20, is the GT5 a better choice?
Yeah, I hadn't seen they lowered the price of the GT5 as well. I have both. The GT5 is 6 channel, and has a built-in gyro. It also has 4 wheel steering controls that are easy to setup.

Last edited:
For the extra $20, is the GT5 a better choice?

Yeah, I hadn't seen they lowered the price of the GT5 as well. I have both. The GT5 is 6 channel, and has a built-in gyro. It also has 4 wheel steering controls that are easy to setup.
How about the GT5 vs the Radiolink?
Pretty much set on the FS GT5….now I just have to determine which motor and ESC for each rig. Probably going to go with a hobby wing.

How about the GT5 vs the Radiolink?
Pretty much set on the FS GT5….now I just have to determine which motor and ESC for each rig. Probably going to go with a hobby wing.
@DavidB1126 and a few others here have Radiolink. I think they have the 4ws in some of theirs as well, but I am not familiar with them. Some of them have channel mixing to aid with that kinda stuff too I believe.

@Greywolf74 can point you in a good direction for electronics. That is if you can get past his snobbish approach to RC electronics 😅 (his words lol).

If you're going to go with FlySky then I would only recommend the NB4 which is a higher quality mid range radio.

If you want to stay with a lower budget radio then I would go with the Radiolink RC4GS
https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-2-4GHz-Transmitter-Receiver-Controller/dp/B07DPMVVKN

Having an integrated gyro in the rx is kinda nice for 2WD's on loose pack conditions to help you get better steering control ;)
Is the gyro in the radiolink decent? And, slightly different topic, but will either of these ESC / Motor combos be suitable for the RC10GT? Thanks in advance!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...erproof-esc-3652sd-motor-hwa38020346/p1455074

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ss-waterproof-esc-3665sd-hwa38020344/p1455072

The Radiolink gyro is excellent for drifting, I recommend between 5%-15% gain to get the best results.

HobbyWing is very good quality too, your first link is good with the 3300KV motor, but that might be a pinch too much power for vintage drivetrains. If you want to play it safe, I would recommend the following 1800KV motor which also has the ESC integrated in it to make your wiring a lot easier:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...ucts/quicrun-fusion-se?variant=40597819719795

The Radiolink gyro is excellent for drifting, I recommend between 5%-15% gain to get the best results.

HobbyWing is very good quality too, your first link is good with the 3300KV motor, but that might be a pinch too much power for vintage drivetrains. If you want to play it safe, I would recommend the following 1800KV motor which also has the ESC integrated in it to make your wiring a lot easier:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...ucts/quicrun-fusion-se?variant=40597819719795
The 1800kv would be appropriate for the RC10gt? I see a lot of reviews by people using it in crawlers.

The following chart is used for brushed motors to get a general idea, where brushless motors tend to provide significantly more power so 1800KV brushless would be somewhere in the 27T to 23T brushed motor range. With a lower KV motor, you can always gear up if you want more speed, but main problem with too high of a KV motor on a 2WD truck is that it will tend to accelerate too hard and will be more likely to spin out of control on loose pack :(

You can also run the 1800KV on 3S if you want to do some speed runs without concern of overheating your electronics ;)

1704247178830.png

The following chart is used for brushed motors to get a general idea, where brushless motors tend to provide significantly more power so 1800KV brushless would be somewhere in the 27T to 23T brushed motor range. With a lower KV motor, you can always gear up if you want more speed, but main problem with too high of a KV motor on a 2WD truck is that it will tend to accelerate too hard and will be more likely to spin out of control on loose pack :(

You can also run the 1800KV on 3S if you want to do some speed runs without concern of overheating your electronics ;)

View attachment 178239
Thanks!! I might try the Hobbywing Fusion...I'm anticipating that it's going to be at least as fast as the OS .15CVX that it was running....especially considering the reduced weight!

Yea I have the radiolink rc4gs and one of my micro crawlers has 4wheel steer set up on a little knob so I can control how much rear steer on the fly, and one of the screens tells you all of your current steering, throttle, brake, etc parameters in real time so I can always return to perfect zero.
I’m pretty sure the flysky can do the same thing

@Greywolf74 can point you in a good direction for electronics. That is if you can get past his snobbish approach to RC electronics 😅 (his words lol).
Screw that Greywolf guy, he's an elitist douche! You can't believe anything he tells you!

Seriously, though, I agree with Bill. Hobbywing is a decent brand and I agree with Bill's assessment of using 3300kV or lower. 1800kV is approx 25T which would be appropriate for a trail truck. It's probably too low for an actual crawler, or at least lower than what I would personally want, but an RC10 is going to have way different final gearing ratio than a crawler or trail truck, plus you can use different size spurs and pinions to make it faster or slower etc. I would make sure that things like punch etc. are turned off or all the way down in the ESC settings, too.

View attachment 178239
Bill, I'm just curious where you got this chart. It differs a fair amount from the one I have from RCCA. I know that it's all approximations, but I'm just curious to read up on the math used to generate this chart vs the math RCCA used.

Last edited:
Bill, I'm just curious where you got this chart. It differs a fair amount from the one I have from RCCA. I know that it's all approximations, but I'm just curious to read up on the math used to generate this chart vs the math RCCA used.
I pulled it from this thread here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/461860-motor-turns-kv.html

Nothing is 100% accurate, all we can do is guesstimate based on personal experience with various brands, I've noticed that newer stock motors have drastically increased their KV ratings compared to older stock motors from years past where a modern 21.5T brushless would be comparable to a 13.5T brushless from 10 years ago.

It's sketchy when you try to match up electronics with vintage cars, so I prefer to error on caution :)

Back