What pinion gear to choose?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

Is there a specific pinion gear that I need to use for a brushless? ie.. do I use just a general 48 pitch gear? Is there a method to choosing a pinion gear? How do you choose what pinion gear to use... I guess that is the real question I need to know. Thanks guys.

BTW The Motor I am using is the 7.5 Brushless from Novak and the GTB ESC

Tom

Last edited:
Tom:

I forget what BL makers suggest, but I remember it is one up or one down from what you would use with a brushed motor. For instance, I used a 14 versus a 15 on my Neo powered TC4.

With most brushless setups, it doesn't really matter. Most like to use 18 tooths to give it more speed then torque. But yeah, with brushed motors it is usually one or two teeth lower than the turns in the motor.

Thanks guys.

I did some research this weekend and came up with the same results. I went out to my LHS this weekend and purchased 3 RR pinions... an 17, 18, and 19 tooth. I figured I would give them a shot to see which one worked the best. Thanks for the info! I will let you know how things go!

Tom

Hi Tom, I have a Rustler w/Novak GTB 5.5, bunch of upgrades, I will usually run about 14/81 or so for off road and 17 or 18/81 for onroad. I ran it the other day not remembering the last time I ran it was cool. Had a 17/81 running thru the grass with moab tires, almost fried the mtr. melted part of the heat shrink on the 4k batt. Just becarefull to not have to tall of gear offroad in 85 to 90 degree weather, could not believe how hot I had the mtr. and batt. ESC seemed good.

Back