What it looks like to be a dad and your son likes RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
You support your son's rc parts, needs, and club racing
You like RC, but don't know how to operate them smoothly and work on them, and know knowledge behind them
But you love food so you get lunch while at track practice on a weekend, or dinner when its club race night
That's how my dad is.

We occasionally go out for a bash together with the slash and rustler. I should start doing that again in the spring time. Its fun. But before then, I will get some appropriate sized offroad tires so we can go have fun in the field instead of the street or parking lot.

My dad, he is at the starter / bashing level rn. He is not at my level with RC racing, yet.

Might actually hit up my uncle and see what he is doing, see if he wants to drive the rustler. He hasn't driven a traxxas 2wd since 2014.
20230429_125708.jpg

Last edited:
My dad goes with me and my RCs everytime as I'm not going to a nearby nitro/petrol RC club (there isn't one). Atleast he got something to do aka filming so I got footage for YT lol, he's becoming proffessional at it😂 Though he doesn't understand a lot about RC he likes seeing them run

My dad would have told me to get rid of the toys and get my GD priorities straight in life! lol. He was always riding my arse, especially about video games. He passed when I was in my 20s. Id like to see his face now when he saw my current hobby room these days and tell him that those video games grew in to me being a Program Manager of an IT department. 🤔 I know ya meant well dad but suck it!🤣🤣

My dad would have told me to get rid of the toys and get my GD priorities straight in life! lol. He was always riding my arse, especially about video games. He passed when I was in my 20s. Id like to see his face now when he saw my current hobby room these days and tell him that those video games grew in to me being a Program Manager of an IT department. 🤔 I know ya meant well dad but suck it!🤣🤣
Getting a Christopher Titus vibe here. Lucky on my end I can't play a video game for more than ten minutes if I even reach that! Growing up in middle and high school, I'd do 3 days straight no sleep.

Getting a Christopher Titus vibe here. Lucky on my end I can't play a video game for more than ten minutes if I even reach that! Growing up in middle and high school, I'd do 3 days straight no sleep.
Not sure who Christopher Titus is but if his dad thought everything he did was a waste of time because it wasn't directly in pursuit of more money or higher education then yeah, that's the vibe. Lol. I love my dad and my dad loved me, don't get me wrong, but he used to drive me crazy with that crap :)

I get it, though, he grew up in poverty and was a self-made man. He wanted me to work as hard as he did, and I didn't want to do that. I wanted to work smarter. :)

*UPDATE*
After further review, there was definitely a little bit of that Chris Titus vibe going on lol.

Last edited:
My dad does the same, but not the professional part 🤣
Sometimes he films the wrong car on the track, or his finger is near the camera lense, but thats why I have lots of video of my racing and cars. Probably to show others, and to show my kids in the future. Because most likely, not enough RC tracks would be around by then. We don't know though.
@DavidB1126 & @fstnd It's great your Dads are there to support you in a hobby you love. 😍 Don't forget to let them know how muchyou appreciate that.
Yep
My uncle does too. Sometimes I have to drag him to fix his car and get down to a track. But sadly, he isn't really in interested in RC anymore. :(
My mom on the other hand, sometimes does support me, but its rare that she does. She took me to the track once during the summer. I couldn't believe she made it through the whole 7 hours of racing. She does not like to marshal, that is one thing.
Half, if not all of my facebook friends are rc racing buddies that I had met over the past year of racing.

It's really good you can see RC racing from your dad's perspective. That will go a long way to maintaining the two-way understanding needed to continue and grow in the hobby. Also, it doesn't hurt in the finances department either. . . :cool:

Wish my dad were still around for my involvement in the RC hobby. He was an accomplished mechanic and machinist. And one heck of a gearhead as well. 'AC'

It's great your Dads are there to support you in a hobby you love
Yes but
My mom on the other hand, sometimes does support me, but its rare that she does.
you wouldn't want to see the 👀 of my mum yesterday when she saw me and my dad come home with a baja😂 It's kinda like David's situation (from what I'm getting), she doesn't hate it and even went with the FG once but got a headache and was found only watching vids ever since lol.
She loved my maxx tho, and I still have it, but the batteries look quite explody to me💰 they don't even fit in the battery tray no matter how hard I push on it
Sometimes he films the wrong car on the track
not a problem for my dad👍

I am the rc dad……. My son isn’t on my level, he doesn’t finish building one and immediately research the next one before driving the one he just built 😂
I was the same
Building my B74.1 and was looking at other cars like other traxxas's and other race kits. Lol

I just finished refurbishing an Xtm nitro buggy, I’ve been looking into that 30 degree north truck/rovan lt450/ losi 5t clone. I am waiting on more fuel, a battery, and a servo for steering so I can drive the Xtm and finish breaking it in. I also really want the Mayako mx8……….
And element has released a 1/18 scale crawler… which I also want. I have a real problem

Last edited:
Haha my story is very similar. Immigrant parents raising 7 kids, they had no time for these silly, childish things such as hobbies, sports, or the arts. Even at a very young age, I understood their struggles and hardship. Nothing but admiration for them.
You've got great parents @DavidB1126 I hope you geatly appreciate them.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I didn’t see it until now😅. My dad won’t give a cent toward my projects but he does let me spend a fair bit of money. He did get me into it and he says that if he’d known how addicted I was going to get he would have never got me started🤣

Back