Well i'm getting a new engine already

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage2k

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well after owning my revo for a few days I'm getting a new engine already.
My cousin decided to run my revo without asking while I was at work. He didnt notice I had my air filter off since I had just cleaned it. So the 3.3 ate a bunch of dirt and grass clippings. He's agreed to pay for part of a new engine (the revo was already used when I bought it.)

Ended up ordering a picco .26 jl red dot and new era mount. I just can't leave things stock. I've always been one to tinker (have a very modified 94 mustang, 500+rwhp), so this is a natural step forward lol
First thing I'm going to do when I get it is to seal the engine.

Few questions.

My 3.3 pull start should swap right on, correct? Just use the pull start and 3.3 one way bearing?

What if I want to go to a roto start? Which is the best one to use on the picco? Preferably one that I can get to from the side since the A arm will get in the way in the back.

Does the picco come with a carb? Or do I reuse my 3.3's carb?

Will stock air filter be sufficient, or should I look into an aftermarket bigger
one?

I ordered this roll cage from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330482975367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Will it fit around the pico and the stock loop that goes in front of the engine?

I'll be using stock exhaust for now, until i can afford a new aftermarket piece.

Any body have pics of their picco setup?

you should keep your Revo locked up in a locker when your at work ....lol...did you give your cousin a few good slaps ??? ...i would have given him a good beating ...lol..and make him pay for the new engine ....you should make him pay for a new exhaust to ...because I'm sure the stock one wont cut it with a .26 ....i have a wasp .26 ....i love the torque it puts out ;) :D....I'm using the single chamber traxxas resonator ...works ok ...but it sounds a bit restrictive with the wasp ...you should love the picco .....the 3.3 carb wont fit ....it should say if the picco comes with one or not

i dont think the 3.3 filter will fit ....the picco carb should be bigger ...pull start should fit right on it

Last edited:
Yes the picco comes with a carb the 3.3 airfilter should fit know problem but i would get a motor saver big block filter.The pull start from the 3.3 fits just fine but to break in the engine i would use a ezstart setup if yah got one layin around the reddot has a ton of compresion its a bitch to break it in with a pullstart not sure a roto start will fit you would probly have to mod the a arms wich i wouldnt do if your bashin also i would recomend replacing the engine bearings with some boca bearings if can the picco ones leak bad and youll be chasing a tune forever if ya dont. I highly recomend a side pipe for the picco 053 dynamite pipe works awesome u wont find a rear pipe that will let her breath rigjt jammin crt.5 exaust header hooks up just rite to the picco

Sry bout the poopy typing lol

Look in the revo thread "custom revo pics" mine has a reddot and i thk some of the others do to if ya need close ups or better pics limme know and ill puttem up for yas

Last edited:
Get one with a pullstart! It's only a few bucks more and you'll have a better style OWB plus the stuff from your 3.3 as spare parts. Also get a 16 or 17 tooth clutch bell to cope with the massive horsepower. A pipe will also be a good thing cuz the stock one sucks already. The bidding has ended on your roll cage, but all I can say is you get what you pay for. You will need some kind of protection for the engine, because upside-down backword landings will tweak the chassis if it isn't already tweaked. Just look at how close your air filter is to the spur gear, if it's way to close then it's tweaked. I suggest getting a wing, they're pretty tough. I would run at least 3/4 of a gallon through the picco before putting in expensive new bearings. Also it's not hard to pull them over if you heat the engine with a hair dryer/heat gun first, which you should do anyway during break-in.:D

The picco comes with a carb, I have the same roll cage and its great. You might have to bend or cut some if you want to run side exhaust and the header fit in the motor right. Ill get some pics up here in just a second for you.

Here ya go.
DSC01335.jpg

DSC01335.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

After you get it broke in and tuned you are going to love it. :D
See behind the exhaust? I had to cut that support to get it to sit straight and not make the header sit at a angle that was causing it to leak. My friend and I both have those cages and esp for the $$$$ they are great.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics foolproof. I figured for 35$ shipped I would take the risk.

As far as chassis being tweaked, from just looking at it it doesn't "seem" tweaked. But the air filter is definately very close to the spur gear. It makes putting the filter on a pain!
How can i confirm the chassis is tweaked?

Take out the 4 engine engine mount bolts and see if the mount and chassis are close to the same shape. The metal section just ahead of the hole for the engine gets twisted too, that requires removing the whole mount assembly. Just picture the truck landing upside down backwords, you'll know how to bend it back if needed.

Thanks for the pics foolproof. I figured for 35$ shipped I would take the risk.

As far as chassis being tweaked, from just looking at it it doesn't "seem" tweaked. But the air filter is definately very close to the spur gear. It makes putting the filter on a pain!
How can i confirm the chassis is tweaked?

Np, And both mine and my friends air filter around where it slides on the carb is really close. When you get the new motor the carb will sit at a diff angle and makes it way easier to get on but it is still close.

Hey foolproof,

Does the dynamite pipe come with a header?
Any special considerations on fitting that header onto the picco?
Would it be possible to run a rotostart on the picco with that header?

I just put my new cage on, and i think my chassis might be a bit tweaked or something because I couldnt fit the cage on with that stock 2 point hoop. I had to remove it.

I think all of the starting options work other than the Ez start. I didnt buy the big block adapter from new era for the header yet so I just stacked the gaskets. And the exhaust does have the header with it. Heres a pic of what all is with it http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYNP5002. I did have to cut of the bar on the roll cage so the exhaust header would go on straight because it had a small leak.