want to start flying

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a dawg

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
alright, i am a complete noob to the airplane world but would like to get flying soon. i would like a decent plane and everything i need for under 500. i have never flown a plane before so it will need to be fairly easy to fly, but i want room to grow and dont want the plane to be to limited. rolls and some acrobatic manuvers would be nice. also what engine would be the best to get between the 2 stroke and 4 stroke. i want something that is going to be able to hold a tune easily and last. i want to thank you guys in advance for helping me out.

arn

The Avistar has always been the most popular trainer at our field.
It's ARF (almost ready to fly) and has a semi-symetrical wing, allowing for ease and stability of flight, and some degree of beginner aerobatics.
It comes with a .40 which is plenty of power.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMU53**&P=ML

You don't want to learn with a taildragger, you want tricycle gear so you don't tip over on your nose when landing.

This is more than a trainer, it's actually FUN to fly, even for experienced pilots. It's under $300, and well worth it.

Look for a club near you and have an instructor (free) hook you up on a buddy box, and you'll be doing solos that same day.

Best of luck......Flying is a BLAST!!!

Last edited:
I'm with the club and an instructor.
Not really hard to learn the basics of flying. Try it on your own, may have enough crashes to get discouraged and quit. I almost did.
Meet a lot of great people in a club too.

Think we can keep ya under $500. Probably 300 to 350? Need some extras, just like the cars though. Not a lot. Think I had about $150 in mine to start with? Flight box, power panel, starter.... Just keeps piling up as ya go.

.40 is a great size to start with. Can see it. They fly good. When you are ready for a change, there are a lot of different aircraft to choose from. .60 is a good size. Look ahead. What are you going to put the hardware in next? Might get cocky and total the airframe, but more than likely the engine and radio will survive.
I have an engine that has been in at least 4 airframes.

Good luck. Let us know what ya get.

At my field, mostly everyone who starts out flying will start with a .40 size high wing trainer with a nose gear. You'll want to join the AMA (for insurance in case you hurt someone), and get with a club. The club will have instructors that will buddy cord with you so if you get in trouble, the instructor will take the controls and you can avoid a crash.

Also, I'd recommend starting out with a simple 4-channel radio since they're the cheapest and simplest way to get in the sport. If you really get hardcore into it, look into a nice computer radio, they're WAY expensive, but the potential is endless.

One big thing that will help you is to buy a flight simulator. They run around $200, but will help you learn to fly VERY fast. After messing with a first generation real flight, I soloed in 9 flights, and my dad soloed in 11 flights. I don't think I ever had to have the controls taken from me after I got in trouble. Only times they took the controls were for landing and taking off.

Last edited:
Back