Upgrade 2.5 or sell

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonn20

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello, I have bought a used T-maxx 2.5 (might be 2.5r) but upgraded the engine to the 3.3. Been looking into extending the chassis, diffs, axles, and control arms but I would like my money to be spent wisely and just not sure if I should sell this truck with the 2.5 engine and then get a 3.3 truck or upgrade this 2.5 truck with some aftermarket parts. I plan on bashing so what would be the best path to go... ??

This truck has Big Joe tires, hump battery, 3.3 engine, aluminum steering bell crank (I think it is called), and extra parts.

The 2.5 engine is good other than needing a carb body. I could put the truck back all stock.

Thanks, Jason

nothing wrong with the classic maxx,just bash the heck out of it and upgrade it as you go

I did just that, bought an old 4910 classic maxx with a 3.3 dropped in. I then began to upgrade, only to realize about a year later that at my LHS anyways, they were starting to not stock as many parts for the older models as they were for the newer ones (which is to be expected). Even Proline and even Traxxas stopped making some replacement parts for the classic maxx....for example: I bought some GH shock towers (Aluminum) for the classic maxx which have the circular holes in the top for the body mounts. When the Traxxas body posts broke, I put in some Prolines, and when those broke, I found out that neither Traxxas or Proline made them anymore! They both only made the posts for the 3.3, which are square. I ended up having to get new aluminum 3.3 shock towers (Square) so that I could buy new body posts...what a PITA that was.

What I am trying to say is that you should make sure that you can still buy parts for your truck down the road. The Classic maxx is nice, but I personally wouldn't waste my time with another 2.5 classic maxx. Go with a newer model so that you have the parts support for a long time to come.

By the time you upgrade your 2.5, you could have spent that money on a 3.3 truck and probably still have a little left over. The 3.3 maxx is way stronger and already has better components installed so that you can put your money into better upgrades for IT rather than buying axles, diffs etc.

I say strip the 2.5 of any goodies that it already has and sell it. Just my 2 cents here though

Last edited:
LOL,I knew somebody was going to say that.Never had a problem finding parts for my classic,and building your own truck is half the fun.

+1 I'm with theant on this one, I rebuild a 4910 and i spent about as much as a new 4908 would have ran me.
If your willing to spend some money on your classic tmaxx just buy a cheap newer roller from eBay and put the money in that and keep your classic for a back up.

If your lhs doesn't have the parts you will find em on the net. Keep it. And bash it. Leave it stock. And in the mean time keep your eyes out for a 3.3 roller or complete. If you get a roller cheap you already have the motor so then you'll have two trucks

LOL,I knew somebody was going to say that.Never had a problem finding parts for my classic,and building your own truck is half the fun.

You will have a problem finding parts, eventually....and then what? Set it up on a shelf once something breaks cus you can't sell it or get replacements.

Building the truck is definately half of the fun, I'm pretty sure that is why we are all here! lol

You can find parts for it now, but what about in 2, 3 or 4 years?

that would be a option,you could buy a new roller on ebay and have a backup

After installing an os .18, new rpm arms, new plastic 3.3 bulks, new axles all the way around, new axle shafts, new brake and brake cog, and some other goodies, my tmaxx 1.5 is now pimped out as far as I need it to be. But add all of that up and you're looking at atleast 400 or so. I can still find parts now but I'm not sure I will in the future. I'm sure all of us that went this route will eventually have to face the music and make it a shelf queen.

Dudes, there is soooo much Maxx parts on the market, you'll never have to worry about finding them. In 5, 10, even 20 years. You can find parts for any common vehicle from the '80's still.

i bought an extended chassi,3.3 trans, center driveshafts, with throttle and steering linkages for 75 new on ebay. Also did the 3.3 axles and carriers. Only real weak spot left is the skid plates and bulkheads. But the aluminum skids would help the bulkhead issue also. I would personally build urs up cause even if you bought a new 3.3 you will still have a few weak spots like i mentioned. I would do extended chassi, axles , driveshafts, carriers, aluminum skids and aluminum bulk heads and you will have a pretty dam tough maxx.

Thanks for the replies!

If I have $500 now to spent on this thing and more to come would it be better to buy a new truck 3.3 or upgrade this 2.5.... ???

IMO....go with the 3.3, it is a better truck overall. Better shafts, better trans, better brakes, better slipper clutch, better steering linkage, exteded chassis. All items you would have to upgrade with the 2.5.

I enjoy working on my truck so even if it cost me more I think I will have more fun building my own and that is IF I can get help from people here... don't think that will be problem....

it is a fine line and I want to experience my truck when it breaks.. to make it stronger than a stock 3.3 truck... so I am going to upgrade my $$ into my truck...

---------- Post added at 9:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:18 PM ----------

What should I buy ...... ????

Buy the extended chassis and 3.3 transmission and all replacement parts for a 4907 version. Its what i done with my 4910 tmaxx and it is soooo much better a truck now. It cost me a total of around $180 in parts to complete the upgrade. Bought everything off ebay!View attachment 11318View attachment 11319

Last edited:
Hey I see you have the .19 dynamite engine. Was wondering how you like it.

Love it! Much more than i did the 3.3. Its a great running and very easy to tune engine with at least 1 1/2 gallons thru it so far. Thinking about getting the dynamite .21 for the revo now

Hey Zdragon I heard that the .19 has bad stock bearings and that you should replace them before running. Do you have any opinion or experience with this.

I've heard nothing bad about them. Matter of fact everyone i talked with before purchasing it said that the .19 has better bearings and a better balanced crank than the trx 3.3. And I've now ran almost 2 gallons of byrons fuel thru it and its still performing excellent. No issues other than it actually twisted on of my short shafts apart from torque 2 days ago. Engine runs very smooth and is extremely torquey compared to the 3.3 i had prior. So IMO it is very well worth the money and I'm really considering buying the mach 2 .21 for my revo and seeing if it performs as well as the .19T.