Turn your Wheelie King into a rock crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent! The first time I looked at the WK, rock crawler project came to mind.

edit; and a nice plug for the Upgrade mat, too. Now I have to get me a wheelie king. That project is just plain awesome!

Last edited:
Thats too cool, looks like a pretty capable rig too after watching the vid. Nice way to introduce people to crawling without breaking the bank.

let me just add you can just order one online and when it get to you take a trip down to the hardware store for some jb weld and all thread works just as well,than you will have some money left over for a better motor and pin/gear:ahh:

i would like to try one , heck ,i have to mod everything i run anyway:LoL: ....

I'm gonna build mine into a crawler after I'm finished bashing the crap out of it . Its kinda fun to just throw in a pack and crash it off the rocks !

I just started a new project, a scale Jeep tuber trail rig. I was originally going to use a set of Clodbuster axles I already have on it, but they are just too big to make the Jeep look scale. So I am planning on selling off the clod axles and buying a wheely king for the axles and tranny, should work out pretty good.

what is the weakest part of the wheely king axle ???? anybody???

thanks...

Last edited:
You should check mine out, more of a scale truck than a crawler though.

Pic

HC-WK7-Build-29.jpg

Linkage: http://www.ripper7racing.com/r7rforums/showthread.php?t=1595

Good to see you drop back by Darth! Nice looking truck too, I like that chassis, I just checked it out in your link. So how do you like the WK axles compared to the TLT axles?

Gotta drive and bash it more, but I like the size of the WK over the TLT. Bigger, badder, stronger, climbs over more stuff. :D

Are you talking about your tuber project you posted on scale4x4rc? :D

anybody trying this mod? i went out and bought the parts off the list 82008 and 82009 e-savage drive shaft set and center drive shaft and of course they will not even fit on the gear shaft's that come out of the diff's or the gear box shaft's so i ask anybody what is the trick machine down the gear shafts our modify the drive shaft's they do not tell all in the hpi instructions

I used the Traxxas drive shafts instead.. Perfect fit not mods required . Part number 4951X

Several people at the LHS have done the conversion just as listed without the issue you are having. Double check everything and make sure your doing it properly and got all the proper parts.

I ****Believe***** that you can also use the either the T-Maxx or Revo drive shaft as well. Double check first.

I used the stock knuckles that attach to the pinions but used heavy duty T/E Maxx drive shafts and universals. I had to enlarge the hole on the HPI knuckle a bit to accept the Traxxas parts but it works fine.

i have checked all the parts checked that I'm doing the right steps but there is no way that the e-savage drive shaft's will mount right up the gear shaft i started with the 4 wheel drive wheely king just like the one in the photo it was bought about 4-5 month's ago has hpi changed the gear shaft's since then? I'm ready to pull my hair out this easy 65.00 mod that they bost on hpi there must be something up that I'm to stupid to figure out:depress:

do you use the 4951x on both the front and the rear?

Last edited:
Yes I did use the 4951x front and rear . You have to shorten them alittle because they are too long . Mine went together really fast and with little difficulty . Maybe some pics would help .

Back