tuning master class needed!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_doogle

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i think i need a master class in engine tuning!!! :( i have been tryin to get my engin running just rite for ages now and it just wont go rite :(:( any tips for me or does anyone have the standard settings for the thunder tiger pro .12 engine?????

Might help to know what it's currently doing. How is the power on takeoff? How is it from running half throttle to running full throttle? Do you have any smoke coming out the pipe when accelerating? If yes, is it a nice trail of consistent smoke? Do you have mostly fuel blowing out the exhaust or some fuel/some smoke....or all smoke? Let us know and I'm sure some master tuners can help you out.

sooner or later if you want to enjoy the hobby ---go electric

it is struggling to tick over, when i accelerate it cuts out even when i do it a tiny bit at a time, i can only stop the wheels stinning when the carb is completley closed!! i am getting a good bit of fule out of the exhaust... i am gettin blue smoke with the fule out of the exhaust... somtimes when i get it started its just asif I'm fully accelerating and i have to stop the car, so i think i have a few problems.. i want to sort it out myself but if it comes to it i may have to take it to the local model shot to see if they will tune it. so please halp and save me money :)

i couldnt be doing with electric! i would get sick of having to keep charging the battery lol its easyer to put more fule in haha! just a pain getting it tuned!

sooner or later if you want to enjoy the hobby ---go electric

Really? I am about 80% nitro, and 20% electric. I enjoy nitro tremendously and only like electric for my crawlers or scalers. Learn to tune and you can enjoy nitro as much if not more than electric.

Most people with that nitro bashing attitude are usually the ones that can't figure out how to properly tune or maintain a nitro.

it is struggling to tick over, when i accelerate it cuts out even when i do it a tiny bit at a time, i can only stop the wheels stinning when the carb is completley closed!! i am getting a good bit of fule out of the exhaust... i am gettin blue smoke with the fule out of the exhaust... somtimes when i get it started its just asif I'm fully accelerating and i have to stop the car, so i think i have a few problems.. i want to sort it out myself but if it comes to it i may have to take it to the local model shot to see if they will tune it. so please halp and save me money :)

i couldnt be doing with electric! i would get sick of having to keep charging the battery lol its easyer to put more fule in haha! just a pain getting it tuned!

Sounds like your clutch springs may be shot. If the wheels are spinning as soon as you start it, it would appear the clutch is engaging immediately. This would also explain why it is so hard to start.

Or it could be your idle is way to high. Lower your idle and see what that does. Then go back to your factory settings for your carb so you have a good place to start tunning

Or it could be your idle is way to high. Lower your idle and see what that does. Then go back to your factory settings for your carb so you have a good place to start tunning

I would have thought that too, but he says the tires will only stop when the carb is completely closed. So I am assuming he has adjusted the idle to the point of closing the carb completely.

An overly lean setting on the lsn can also cause high rpms and the clutch to engage prematurely. So he could also try richening up the lsn and see if that helps.

+1 on a clutch issue. Pull it apart and check it out. Definitely sounds like it may be engaging too soon causing some problems.

When you start it up, does the throttle go wide open or anything? Servo freaking out? Trim set too high? Anything of that nature? Can you see the carb slide move at all causing it to rev up? Batteries fully charged? Throttle not reversed? Just dumping ideas out there for ya....

no none of these motogod its confusing me! i hope its just the needles need adjusting! can anyone tel me what the standard settings are?

The only needle that will affect your idle is the Idle screw. Everything else will affect throttle response, but not the actual idle. Is your carb set on the idle screw properly? What kind of a gap do you have inside the carb between the carb slide and the carb walls? Should be @ 1mm or so. Post a picture with the air filter off if you have one. Nice shot right down the carb opening under the filter.

The only needle that will affect your idle is the Idle screw.

This is not true, the lsn will indeed affect the idle as well as low speed throttle response.

Too many times I have seen people try and compensate for an incorrect low speed needle setting by adjusting the idle screw.

there you go thats with all the remote control set to idle.

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 109
Well that certainly is true. I guess I meant to say don't adjust your idle with the LSN ;-)

That is set WAAAAAY too far open my man. You're at like half throttle already! Get that gap closed up some. Set it to @ 1mm (a little bigger than the thickness of a credit card) and try again.

better 1

Attachments

• DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 95
You can't set the idle from the remote that barrel is halfway open, you need to adjust the idle screw on the carb itself. That is the reason it takes off and the wheels wont stop spinning.

WAAAAAY too far open. That would be your problem...or at least a big part of it.

Turn the throttle trim knob on the transmitter ALL the way down, then set the idle with the adjusting screw on the carb while holding the brake.
That way it can't close more, causing it to stall when braking.