Tune issues....WD-40?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devinlowe18

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So recently I read that after the last run of the day it is good to spray WD-40 in the carb and turn the engine over with the glow plug out. So last run that is what I did......So then I go out today with my 3.3 Tmaxx (4907) and it takes awhile to get it started which is unusual because this thing has Always started right away. Oh and btw the temp outside is in the 70s so it's not the outside temp. Anyway I finally got it started and this thing has NEVER ran worse. A huge amount of exhaust smoke is comming out and it was idling SUPER high. So I turn the idle down with the idle speed screw and let the engine get warm before messing with the needles. NOTHING I did would help. It would act WAY lean by sputtering when you hit the throttle hard or when you let off the throttle sometimes it would try and rev back up. Then it would act WAY rich and bog out. I wouldn't even move the needles sometime and it would act totally sparatic from lean to rich. Sometimes it would seem lean others rich. Sometimes it wouldn't idle, sometimes it would die when I let off the gas. It was so inconsistent I couldn't tune because I had nothing to tune off of. Most of the time I had a thick amount of smoke comming from the exhaust so that tells me rich but then the sound and way the engine acted said it was WAY lean. I then checked my temps and it said 291 so I shut it off and decided to pack her away for the day because I have a couple other things to do. Then it hit me, could it have been the WD-40 I sucked in the carbs a few days before after my last run o the day? Idk I have seen tuning issues but never anything like this. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Also I did notice that fuel was dripping from the exhuast at times but like I said the engine would idle at random speeds, rev back up when you let off the throttle, I mean everything sounds lean and looks rich. So could the WD-40 be mixing with my fuel and cause this type of behavior. I was friendly with the WD-40 last time but I thin I have learned a lesson. Any feedback would be AWSOME. Thanks ahead guys...:)

I've always used wd-40 in traxxas engines and other than a little hard to start until the fuel evacuates any remaining wd, never had an issue.
I would look to something else rather then the wd-40 being the culprit.

WD never caused any probs for me either. But I mostly am just generous with the AFO.

WD-40 is good for cleaning / washing. it is not a great lube, it is a lube, just not great. a lube for car engine Assembly, or marvel mystery oil, permatex ultra slick engine assembly lube no. 81950. even klotz benol castor oil. after all you use it when running the engine.

I can't point the finger at someone on here, but they said that WD40 has a component in it that eats silicone gasets. It's possible that the WD40 could've damaged an o ring that's on one of the needles which would be causing the problems you're having. For what it's worth I would remove each needle and when you do, mark down how many turns out they are. Then look at each o ring and check for damage. Then install them to the same turns they came out. That's where I would start first. If the needle o rings are good, it's quite possible that you've coincidentaly developed an air leak somewhere and it's time to seal the engine and carb needles.

I stopped using wd40 on my trx3.3 cuz it was a massive pain to start. Switched to a bearing oil and now it starts perfectly.

sounds like the guy has a leak somewhere. an i have always used WD-40 as my afterrun procedure. never had any problems using it.

I vote for marvel

transmited from a mobile communications device

If I would pee on my shelf queens, I would prob dehydrate LOL!! I did however beat my baja 5b pretty hard today, spun the dang,clutch carrier bearings adgain and thiose were fast eddy bearings. Think it might have something to do with some missing engine mount srews LOL!!

That reminds me of my buddy and his redcat rampge,i say to him,..dude your missing a couple screws,he says ....oh ya look at that,..a week later I say ,Still haven't got some screws? Your gunna break something! He says ...I gotta get some,it'll be ok,so I chuckle and say ok man,nxt thing ya know I get a txt stating that the rampage is down for the count,lol,..funny how a 3$ bag of screws can set ya back 100$,but I have been guilty of this myself so ya know,live and learn,..sometimes!

funny how a 3$ bag of screws can set ya back 100$,but I have been guilty of this myself so ya know,live and learn,..sometimes!

That's why you buy them in bulk 100 pack boxes for around $7-$10 & it leaves plenty of extras for your Go Box. :)

Ya these days I am stocked with all kinds of shhtuff including many xtra screws and even things I probly won't ever use,lol.

WD-40 is not a real replacement for ARO. WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. It will displace water and has just a very slight amount of lube in it. ARO is designed to protect an engine while in storage and will burn off easily. I've had engines stored with ARO start right up after 4 years in storage.

I have used wd-40 in the past, never did any harm to my .15 pro. But I switched back to ARO after using it only a couple of times. Didn't feel right to me. I will however use wd 40 if and when I tear open another motor. It seemed to work well last time.

All I did was remove the piston/con rod and the sleeve and spray everything down thoroughly with wd 40, let it drip dry for a couple minutes then I put it back together using a little ARO here and there to make things fit easier.

@Devinlowe18: I have the MGT 8.0! It's been sitting in the finished basement (do to a busted fuel tank & steering servo!!!) since last weekend with WD-40 in it from my last run-of the-day & I fired it up this afternoon with lil to minimal start up problems! After head temps warmd up I did a lil fine-tuning & this TORQE MONSTER was on it!!! So I can't see it being the WD-40 either..... Good luck on a solution! Be safe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again marvel mystery oil is the best aro out there,imo! And many others,wd is a good backup

Back