Traxxas vxl 6s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldo556

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
My vxl6s is dead. can you recommend a good speed controller for e revo 2.0? the power could be a little more, but will the engine last anymore?

Hobbywing Max6. I think they're the best bang for the buck. They're a good performer and can handle the power. 6-7.4v BEC. The only truck I don't have one in is my Sledge. When it's ESC dies a Max6 is what I'll replace it with.

A Castle Monster X 8s is a nice ESC too. I think it has a bit more punch than a Hobbywing.

Thanks👍 can the stock engine handle those?

I agree on the Max6, solid performer for me. I have one in my Xmaxx, my brother has them in his E Revo, Sledge. The Castle is ultimately more capable and offers data logging and stuff..definitely not needed for us as bashers though..one thing worth mentioning is Hobbywing just released the G2 version of the Max6. It now offers sensored mode which the G1 did not, I think it may even offer 8.4v BEC vs G1 which only offered 7.4v max. General consensus on the vxl6s is they are rather soft in the punch department and offer virtually no programming options. I always use to failure, then replace them. Good luck.
As to the stock motor handling an upgraded esc, absolutely. The motor dictates the amount of power a system needs so upgrading the esc will never hurt a stock motor as long as it's an appropriately sized esc, which a Max6 is actually a tad over sized for. Overhead (over spec) is always a good thing with regards to electronics I believe.

So max6 is good for e-revo 2.0 and stock motor? And can u tell me what is BEC? Vxl6s BEC is 6.0V, but i dont know what that's mean. This is my first electric car, allways had a nitro cars before

BEC is short for battery eliminator circuitry. It's the ciruit that powers the receiver and steering servo. Back when electric rc's had resistor speed controllers, they needed a seperate battery to power the receiver and servo(s) just as the nitro's did. When the esc, or electronic speed controllers hit the scene they had a circuit built into them that "eliminated" the need for a seperate battery to run the receiver and servo. The output voltage for the BEC is adjustable in most esc's nowadays. The higher the voltage, the more power we can get from our servos. That is as long as the receiver and servos are rated for higher voltage.
TRX is a bit outdated in this segment with only 6.0v BEC. Even Spektrum rtr stuff is running 7.4v these days..as is most aftermarket esc's such as Hobbywing and Castle. They can however bet set to 6.0v BEC to be used with stock receiver and servos such as TRX.
Yes, the Max6 is basically plug and play (after soldering connectors) with the stock E Revo motor. You'll have to either buy a mount (ebay), or use double sided tape to secure the Max6 to the Revo chassis. My brother used Gorilla brand tape, has held up just fine. You'll need to program the throttle range when you install a new esc. Pretty straight forward though.
If you want to stick with a VXL6S, I believe Jenny's rc has them for less than retail..this would save you from having to solder connectors onto the esc wires. I don't know what connectors you're currently using but many prefer not to solder. Up to you.
https://jennysrc.com/search?type=product&q=VXL-6S

Last edited:
I will get a new speedcontrol under warranty. When that dies, then I put that max6. so when I put this max6, I have to solder new ends to the wires coming from the motor? apparently there are no adapters available for these?

If they are the same bullet size on the motor and new (Max6) esc, its should be a direct fit. If they are different, you can solder new ends or make adapter/s.
Max6 in a Erevo should be just fine.

I was referring to the esc to battery connectors, the max6 typically comes with bare wires and you solder the connector of your preference onto them. As to the motor connectors, both vxl6s and max6 use 6.5mm bullets so they plug right in. I don't know if you shop local or online but either can sell you an esc with connectors soldered on. I'm guessing you're using TRX connectors? I like XT90's personally, I find them easiest to solder and reusable. Yeah, I'm THAT cheap!!🤣🤣

Use Shoe Goo and glue it to an ESC plate. You can work a screwdriver under it and pop it up if you need to. No crash will break it loose.

good answers, thanks. then another question, traxxas own batteries are 25C, can I use batteries with a higher C value, e.g. 50C?

good answers, thanks. then another question, traxxas own batteries are 25C, can I use batteries with a higher C value, e.g. 50C?
Yes, higher C batteries won't hurt anything but your wallet, LOL. That's a whole topic in itself..batteries and "C" ratings..simply put, many companies overstate "C" ratings of their batteries as a sales pitch, most commonly the brand names that make no sense in english. Like Sypom, Socokin, Zeee, ect.. not saying they're no good, just typically overrated specs. All my batteries are of these brands cuz they do what I need and are cheap to buy. TRX batteries are what they say they are specs wise and super expensive. Worth it? That's debatable, but I can confirm they are indeed a quality battery that last when used correctly. My brother has bags full of them and hasn't had a failure yet in 3+ years. I have had to toss most of my 3 year old off branded batteries now..cost is the tipping point for me. TRX batteries are at least triple the price of what I've been buying. Your call on that.
Have a look here, TRX 4s 6700mah vs Socokin 4s 6500mah. The Socokin is $61.99 for a pair vs 1 TRX battery at $143.89.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928-092931_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928-092931_Samsung Internet.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230925-104644_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230925-104644_Samsung Internet.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back