Top 3 nitro cars/trucks???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone, I am kind of new to RC Cars/Trucks, But I am having a Great time work and driving Nitro cars/trucks. I am starting to build up a Fleet, so to say. I am maybe looking to trade some. So my Question is, in your Opinion what are the top 3 must have nitro cars/trucks? In 1-2-3 order. Please add some reasons and spec's. Maybe engine size/gear ratio stuff like that. It does not have to be the Biggest, Baddest, Fastest, best racer.....Just fun to drive. What do you like? Thanks

traxxas revo 3.3 for best truck.it's fun,fast,durible.their are plenty of hop-ups for it.

3.3 engine
15/38t stock gearing
2 speed trans.

Pretty vague question. Depends on what type you want. Onroad, Offrad, Racing or Bashing etc.

1 - Losi LST XXL, great handling basher, super easy to work on.
2 - HPI Savage, rock solid basher, stock engine is known for being a pain to tune. (No personal experience with a Savage)

People are probably not going to agree with this one, and it's not the biggest or baddest but it is a blast to drive.
3 - Traxxas Nitro Sport, Great for beginners, it's pretty cheap, 2wd so it's super easy to work on, pretty small (you can find a place to run a 1/10 scale ST just about anywhere).

I beat the hell out of my Rustler, and I'm pretty sure it loves it. After the essential RPM upgrades, I can launch it 15+ feet over and over with no day ending damage. The last time I was out, I blew a shock cap (put it back on and ran w/out oil), and tweaked both rear shock shafts (I only had 70 wt oil, too thick for the big jumps), my day didn't end until I cracked my rx pack in half. I love my Rustler, out of my 7 rigs, it's my go to basher.

The Revo for me to, great monster truck, may not be the strongest but with some hop-ups they would be even stronger, they are fast, pretty strong, handle great & lots of parts around. Engine size wise, anything from a .21 to a .30 will make them go great.
1/8 nitro buggies are great to, a good .21 engine make them fly, great fun on an offroad track. Great to race as well. Same for a truggy but I haven't owned 1 of them. (Yet).

With only my personal experience: You're looking at it!!
hpi Savage X 4.6 Her mighty Engine is not hard to tune at all. She Just takes some minor patience to break her in, & do it correctly, with a jug of fuel...
Tough models for bashing the heck out of, & with unmatched awesome customer support.
Please use a top grade fuel like Sidewinder, which doesn't require ARO (after run oil).

Chas

I agree with Chacs, HPI savage very tough and fast, for hop ups much more parts. For Buggy , I don't know if any body try LRP S8BX2 very strong and handles very great, even I started owned it I never changed any arms , diff or any parts from the body all original, only problem is the availability of parts just in-case.

From my fleet I would have to say: HPI Savage XL, Traxxas Tmaxx, HPI Baja 5SC. Savage is just a blast to drive and is easy to work on. The Tmaxx was my first nitro and It's a fun little truck to own and run. The Baja is great because you get roughly an hour out of a tank of fuel and it's size always grabs attention.

IMO add an associated MGT, a revo and prob a HPI Super RS4. Good car and truck combo.

Axial Racing EXO Terra Buggy
Traxxas Revo 3.3
TLR XXX SCT

I dont do on-road or race.

Man, you must have a light finger on the throttle. I can only get about 45 minutes of run time on my Baja-5b.

I live in an apartment and don't have a lot of room for the herd so I tend toward micro- and mini-sized fun. I like most of the above mentioned 1/8 and 1/10 scale trucks listed. My favorite monster truck is the Revo 3.3 because of the handling. For on-road I like my Associated RC-18r with a Mamba Micro Pro 6800kV. For general beating I love my mERV VXL (1/16 eRevo). For size and power, nothing beats a 1/5 scale like a Baja-5b.

It all depends on your budget and where you can run. I think I've got most bases covered.

Thanks for the ideas on Cars. Right now I am Run a Jato 3.3....Fast for a rookie like me, I also enjoy running my T-Maxx 3.3....I can jump it and bash it, then I have a RC-10 GT2 the car that started it all for me......I have a 3.3 mounted on it. The great part about my GT is when I started, it came with 1 car and 5 rollers.......I have endless parts, So I have really had some fun Jumping it.

Thats too broad of a question...Youd have to narrow it down to at least a particular class of RC. MT, ST, Truggy, Buggy, Drifter, Crawler, onroad, Rally, etc etc. For all around bashing my favorites are mostly MTs. Id say my top 4 favorite bashing kits I have are:

Losi LST2-E (MT)
Losi XXL (MT)
Savage X SS (MT)
OFNA 9.5 MBX (Buggy)

Last edited: