Today at the field!!! Epic day!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a ton of fun. I was into rockets when I was a kid, all my uncles were into it.

Thanks guys!!

@F.R.S. Ninja_007 - Planes aren't to bad if you're not learning alone. If you were to come to our club we have a trainer plane that we wirelessly link our radio to another, all provided, and teach you to land and take off. You don't spend a penny except club dues once a year $100. Then you can buy planes and fly with confidence. Heli's are the impossible one that take years before you can even do things that are mildly cool haha.

Also most planes are foam, you could get hit and walk away mostly unharmed, not so much with these big carbon fiber beasts below.

CRCC is open to the public if anyone is in the Chattanooga, TN area BTW.

2023-08-27 04_08_20-5 - Copy.jpg ‎- Photos.png
353655082_283247640830364_1715187192631987247_n.jpg

Here is a really good one from last year, thrust vectoring jet, it can turn on a dime and do maneuvers other jets only dream of.

Would the E-Flite Mini Apprentice be a good trainer?
The aeroscout s 2 1.1m RTF is our most recommended and is our choice for our club trainer. The Mini apprentice is great, if your learning alone get the full sized 1.5m Apprentice as it will be substantially easier to fly.

bigger=easier=more$ Crash and repair less
small=harder=less$ Crash and repair more

That being said they all come with stability assistance. So most are beginner friendly.

The reason the aeroscout is all our choice for beginning is mainly do to the prop location, you dont break props when learning and rarely damage it enough it wont go right back into the air immediately. But it is also super easy to fly and slow top speed with a low stall speed.

Edit again as it wont let me just make a new post:

Also dont discount these cheap little things.
https://www.amazon.com/Top-Race-Airplane-Advanced-Propeller/dp/B07X1TSJV1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=193ONFM4D3YB7&keywords=trainer+rc+plane&qid=1700496116&sprefix=trainer+rc+plane,aps,89&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

They are insanely good trainers and never break and the prop pops off. They take a minute to get used to and dont work well in high wind but I'm telling you right now you can beat the living crap outta it and it keeps going. And although it doesn't have all the control surfaces a normal plane does the radio is setup so that the rudder is on the aileron stick. So it 100% teaches you to fly. Master one of these, and I've seen this personally, and you can fly any plane just fine.

I have seen people in 3 days of hard work "3 hours or so a day" be ready to fly about anything and not look like a total newb, they are that helpful.

They have stability mode default, but it can be shut off as you learn.

Last edited:
The aeroscout s 2 1.1m RTF is our most recommended and is our choice for our club trainer. The Mini apprentice is great, if your learning alone get the full sized 1.5m Apprentice as it will be substantially easier to fly.

That being said they all come with stability assistance. So most are beginner friendly.

The reason the aeroscout is all our choice for beginning is mainly do to the prop location, you dont break props when learning and rarely damage it enough it wont go right back into the air immediately. But it is also super easy to fly and slow top speed with a low stall speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Race-Airplane-Advanced-Propeller/dp/B07X1TSJV1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=193ONFM4D3YB7&keywords=trainer+rc+plane&qid=1700496116&sprefix=trainer+rc+plane,aps,89&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

They are insanely good trainers and never break and the prop pops off. They take a minute to get used to and dont work well in high wind but I'm telling you right now you can beat the living crap outta it and it keeps going. And although it doesn't have all the control surfaces a normal plane does the radio is setup so that the rudder is on the aileron stick. So it 100% teaches you to fly. Master one of these, and I've seen this personally, and you can fly any plane just fine.

I have seen people in 3 days of hard work "3 hours or so a day" be ready to fly about anything and not look like a total newb, they are that helpful.

Thanks for the info. I have been considering buying Real Flight and getting my son a small plane to play with in the field outside. It's not big enough for a large plane, but I think a small one would work out there.

I was thinking of getting him the UMX Night Vapor though. Is that a good one for an 11 year old to learn on?

Been to Chattanooga a number of times on vacation in the past. Beautiful little town.

Last edited:
All my friends that have planes are determined to prove to me that Rc planes are better than cars so if I get a plane I’ll automatically lose that argument 🤣
Tell your plane buddies that Heli's and Drones are better then Planes. hahahahaha

FYI a drone that is set to have 0 stability enabled flys 100% like a heli, but it wont cost that much to crash....
Thanks for the info. I have been considering buying Real Flight and getting my son a small plane to play with in the field outside. It's not big enough for a large plane, but I think a small one would work out there.

I was thinking of getting him the UMX Night Vapor though. Is that a good one for an 11 year old to learn on?

Been to Chattanooga a number of times on vacation in the past. Beautiful little town.
Don't worry about real flight in all honesty it's much better to get something cheap and smash it a round. Yes the UMX is a really good one to start on. And yup not much room needed to fly. Doesn't break to bad when crashed and cheap to repair. I'd say go for it.

FYI a drone that is set to have 0 stability enabled flys 100% like a heli, but it wont cost that much to crash....
I can fly drones, and got pretty good in a couple drone sims before I flew my first FPV. That's interesting to know helis fly the same.
Don't worry about real flight in all honesty it's much better to get something cheap and smash it a round. Yes the UMX is a really good one to start on. And yup not much room needed to fly. Doesn't break to bad when crashed and cheap to repair. I'd say go for it.
I will probably grab the plane then. Thanks.

I would choose the Mini Apprentice because of the larger wingspan, and I wouldn’t worry about the prop so much because my runway would be pretty thick grass.

I would choose the Mini Apprentice because of the larger wingspan, and I wouldn’t worry about the prop so much because my runway would be pretty thick grass.
It is a great choice and a good trainer, I have seen many learn on it from day one. Just figured I'd give ya my 2 cents since I've crashed so many planes haha. It can be disheartening. But with the right plane at the right experience level it's not bad or debilitating.

It is a great choice and a good trainer, I have seen many learn on it from day one. Just figured I'd give ya my 2 cents since I've crashed so many planes haha. It can be disheartening. But with the right plane at the right experience level it's not bad or debilitating.
So, based on having a small field to fly in, wanting something durable, and having something that will take you from an absolute beginner to transitioning to more advanced small planes (meaning I wouldn't want to learn controls only to have to relearn when going to the more advanced planes), what do you recommend? My son is 11, and learns things pretty quick. You can see the size of our play area in this...

That dirt field is all grass now, but there is a smooth road on the edge for landing.

So, based on having a small field to fly in, wanting something durable, and having something that will take you from an absolute beginner to transitioning to more advanced small planes (meaning I wouldn't want to learn controls only to have to relearn when going to the more advanced planes), what do you recommend? My son is 11, and learns things pretty quick. You can see the size of our play area in this...

That dirt field is all grass now, but there is a smooth road on the edge for landing.
Esp because of the price right now I really suggest this. Black Friday Sale.
https://www.amazon.com/Top-Race-Airplane-Advanced-Propeller/dp/B07X1TSJV1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=193ONFM4D3YB7&keywords=trainer+rc+plane&qid=1700496116&sprefix=trainer+rc+plane,aps,89&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&&tag=rctalk-20

They are crazy durable and again if mastered it 100% transitions to a bigger plane. Knowing how to fly many planes everytime I fly these cheap little things I say it over and over. Hands down best trainer. And you can shut off stability "the only way i fly them" and its such a proper training plane.

But if you must buy something name brand and bigger "which I totally understand" My #1 is the AeroScout 100% hands down best trainer.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...4585032214881007&utm_content=AllProducts_MOFU

Not only are they easy and have stability assistance. But you don't break a prop when your new and landing/taking off. When your new on any other plane you may as well buy 3 props with your initial plane purchase. Also they are not a tail dragger, tri-wheel is much easier to take off and land.

Also, with the aeroscout when you do break it its easily repaired with toothpicks and CA glue. I've snapped one in half and had it back in the air in minutes using toothpicks and CA and CA activator!!

I'd say do the aeroscout, not the mini the full sized one i linked.

Last edited:
Esp because of the price right now I really suggest this. Black Friday Sale.
https://www.amazon.com/Top-Race-Airplane-Advanced-Propeller/dp/B07X1TSJV1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=193ONFM4D3YB7&keywords=trainer+rc+plane&qid=1700496116&sprefix=trainer+rc+plane,aps,89&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&&tag=rctalk-20

They are crazy durable and again if mastered it 100% transitions to a bigger plane. Knowing how to fly many planes everytime I fly these cheap little things I say it over and over. Hands down best trainer. And you can shut off stability "the only way i fly them" and its such a proper training plane.

But if you must buy something name brand and bigger "which I totally understand" My #1 is the AeroScout 100% hands down best trainer.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...4585032214881007&utm_content=AllProducts_MOFU

Not only are they easy and have stability assistance. But you don't break a prop when your new and landing/taking off. When your new on any other plane you may as well buy 3 props with your initial plane purchase. Also they are not a tail dragger, tri-wheel is much easier to take off and land.

Also, with the aeroscout when you do break it its easily repaired with toothpicks and CA glue. I've snapped one in half and had it back in the air in minutes using toothpicks and CA and CA activator!!

I'd say do the aeroscout, not the mini the full sized one i linked.
Thank you. I might just grab that Amazon one now. I looked at the Aeroscout. I just think that is a little big for the area we have to fly. I mean, it's likely ok, but I'd like to start really small. Though I kinda figure smaller likely means a lot harder to fly, as with drones... learning to fly a micro drone made it a piece of cake when I stepped up to a 6" drone.

Something that will fly slower will be easier to fly right?

Thank you. I might just grab that Amazon one now. I looked at the Aeroscout. I just think that is a little big for the area we have to fly. I mean, it's likely ok, but I'd like to start really small. Though I kinda figure smaller likely means a lot harder to fly, as with drones... learning to fly a micro drone made it a piece of cake when I stepped up to a 6" drone.

Something that will fly slower will be easier to fly right?
Welcome and yes, slower definitely equals easier. The amazon one is surprisingly good esp its half off right now.

Not sure what drone you have or if you can fully shut off all stability. But with the drone have you ever flow line of sight "not fpv" with 0 stability on? Thats a handful no matter what size it is. But that is also exactly a heli. So if you ever get good at 0 stability on a drone youll be ready to buy ur first small CCPM heli.

Welcome and yes, slower definitely equals easier. The amazon one is surprisingly good esp its half off right now.

Not sure what drone you have or if you can fully shut off all stability. But with the drone have you ever flow line of sight "not fpv" with 0 stability on? Thats a handful no matter what size it is. But that is also exactly a heli. So if you ever get good at 0 stability on a drone youll be ready to buy ur first small CCPM heli.
Yeah, I have flown both LOS and FPV and I got really good with a 6" LOS drone with zero stability. But the two times I have flown airplanes have not been good. The trainer took the plane up so high I couldn't tell which orientation the plane was in.

Back