To boat or not to boat?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in real life thier is a saying among boat owners. B.O.A.T. or Bust Out Another Thousand. lol
i wonder if RC boats are the same in scale, so a 1/5th hydro woud be B.O.A.H. (Bust Out Another Hundred) or a 1/10 would be B.O.A.10S. (Bust out another 10 Spot.) Lmao

Go big and go gas. I ran nitro boats for years, they are fun but not near as relaxing as a big boat. I run a couple hulls from AC Model Boats, Andy is a great guy and does top notch work. Here is a vid of my Cat and my buddy's Mono with stock Zenoah 26cc marine engines.

[ame]http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/?action=view&current=Vid1.flv[/ame]

A kick ass setup is going to cost you. I like 40-45 inch hulls.

My most recent project:

Aeromarine Jesse James hull 42'' - $270
RCMK SX254 - $400
B.H. Hanson Pipe - $85
Spektrum Dx3.0 - $130
Props to test with - $60
Hardwear(ie;rudder, strut, tank, etc) - $220
Total- :whhooo: Wake up call to how much went into it

A kick ass setup is going to cost you. I like 40-45 inch hulls.

My most recent project:

Aeromarine Jesse James hull 42'' - $270
RCMK SX254 - $400
B.H. Hanson Pipe - $85
Spektrum Dx3.0 - $130
Props to test with - $60
Hardwear(ie;rudder, strut, tank, etc) - $220
Total- :whhooo: Wake up call to how much went into it

Yes, nice build, money well spent as it will last you "years" to come, if maintained :)

I have 2 baja's 2 1/4 scale sprint cars3 gas boats 1 Blazer Marine Backlash on pre order The fastest is my wood whiplash 76 mph .soon to go faster . I'll post pics in the near future.

HOLY hell! That ShockWave looks like a MUTHA of a craft, but a grand!? Dang... SO cool though eh?

if i had a couple of grand i,d go with the 5b and a 4 or 500 dollar boat.........on another note, found a traxxas nitro v on craigslist in my area looks great for 175, is that a good price to pay?

Hi. It looks like we've got a couple of people in here that know what they're typing about and I know my way around these things also.
Some of the first things to ask yourself when in the market for your first or 30th boat.
How much money do I want to spend?
What gear do I already have that I can use for a boat?
What powerplant? Gas, nitro or electric?
What hull type?
Those 4 alone will help you to narrow things down a bunch. If it's your first boat, don't shoot for a twin nitro outrigger. Yes, they are cool as all get-out but forget it, keep things real.
If you're shopping on eBay, if it says that it will do 70 MPH for $200.00, they're lying and it's a joke.
Found something that you like and want a really honest opinion? Ask away in here.
Some RTR boats are a waste of money but none are perfect but many others are a good way to get your feet wet, no pun really intended but you still want something that you won't be bored with in 5 minutes either.
My specialty is with nitro and gas boats, I really don't know diddly-squat about fast electrics. They lost me when everything went brushless and those fancy battery packs.
You can build a nice boat for under a Grand but it sounds like some of you aren't ready to make that step yet. RTR boats if you get the right ones will teach you a lot about what does what when you make an adjustment and what goes where when you make the next step to building your own.
This is one of my under a G boats.

Last edited:
Hi Ron welcome to RCNT...this tread was a touch dusty until some one dug it up last month..lol. Nice boat by the way.

Well, let's blow the dust off this one then!
It's actually a good thread as we like to increase the amount of boaters when we can. The trick is to get someone started with something good as a lousy boat can turn a person off from the hobby/sport quickly.
Sometimes you don't ave ot spend a pile of money to get something decent. I bough a $70.00 Zig-Zag Racer just for the heck of it and to try out for a retrieve boat. It never saw much duty as a dead boat fetcher because I was having too much fun with it and kept running the battery pack dead! :D This one still fits into the hobby quality area as parts are replaceable if something does go wrong. Buy a boat from Wal-mart, Radio Shack or any other department store and if anything goes bad, you might as well toss it in the trash.