To boat or not to boat?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipluther01

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been thinking about purchasing a nitro boat. I'm not new to nitro rc but will be new to marine applications. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for when buying a boat or one that would be a good purchase from like tower hobbies or something? I dont have a lhs around here.. Sucks I know.

i'm going to be watching this thread pretty closly..i've thought about getting a nitro boat for a long time but just never have...i had an electric not to long ago but i have always wanted a nitro boat..and i have tons of room to run it cause i got lake superior right beside me

That would be sweet. I have 3 neighbors that have large ponds. I've always wanted one but I have not clue as what to get. I have been looking at the swamp boats at tower hobbies. They just look cool. I've also wondered about what you do if you run outta nitro while out on the pond/lake. Are you screwed if you dont have an actual boat to retrieve it or what?

ya i think if you run out your pretty much screwed lol..the good thing is i go fishing out on the lake all the time in the summr so i always have the boat right there anyways so to me it dont matter to to much

Look for a boat with the RTS system. That's "Return to Shore". If the boat stalls out or you run dry, putting the throttle in reverse will engage an electric motor that will flip into position against a gear and run the prop or props off the battery to get you back in. It's pretty ingenious.

Do you have any suggestions as to what is a good boat Rolex?

If it is possible, i'd go with a gasser.

Youll have to excuse my ignorance.. or my brain fart, however you wanna look at it, but by gasser you mean one that uses actual gas and like 2 cycle oil?

to run in the lake your gonna need a pretty good sized rig. i have an electric blast and just run it in the neighbors pool but the small waves i make are almost to much.

a gasser would be flippin sweet!

I've got a few boats but I can't give you any advise on what to get. Whatever I buy or build gets taken apart and totally re-done. The Catamaran I got about a year ago was RTR, but everything was gutted out of it, and I'm in the process of installing all brand new E-Revo motors and electronics.
I'm currently shopping around for a long V-hull to put my 60,000 RPM brushless setup into.

Here's the Cat after stripping off all the stock graphics and putting on my own.

RtRearSide.jpg

FrRight.jpg

Stern.jpg

It's 41" long, so with that size it should be able to handle a lot of power and speed and still be stable.

Last edited:
That is gorgeous. I recieved some of my T maxx parts from Tower hobbie today and I also recieved a catalog. They show 5 diffrent gassers in there. I have to say. f&@$ing sweet. They range fro $599 up to $949. Now I have another dilema. If I'm going to spend that much.... do i get a boat.. or a baja 5B?? :D

If I'm going to spend that much.... do i get a boat.. or a baja 5B?? :D

Oh, man. What a dilemma.
I usually end up with over a grand in everything I build or rebuild. I just never spend it all at once, so I don't notice the pain. :D

If I was to drop all that coin in one shot, I'd be thinking about the Shockwave. LOTS of water around here, all public.

Shockwave gasser is a bad beioch. Ran a coupe of times with one. it was the double hull catameran version though. the 55in one.

Id like to get one or the other. Or I could split the diffrence, get another 4WD truck and a smaller boat. Spend about 500 on each

How close is access to a large area of water?

Well at my grandmothers house there are 3 neighbors with fairly large ponds. Then my friend lives at the lake and thats about 30 minutes away. My grandmothers is about 10 minutes