Need suggestions for a brushless system for a boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafatus

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Boating
I'm trying to convert my kyosho jet stream 600 to brushless but I don't know much about rc boats. So does anyone have suggestions?

Looks like the boat have 1/10 scale electronics in it so any marine based 1/10 scale system should work. Id look at Hobbywing's 1/10 scale marine offerings.

seen these with airplane motors. G20 with cooling coils to some modded with 550 lower kv under 2500. with 2 cells and 45 amp marine esc.id go with a 80 amp esc with a 3000kv aircraft motor might get away with running stock prop

rocket RC motor from amazon ($50 pretty dang good for the money) and a flycolor 150A. Or a offshore electric branded 150A. its a flycolor with a capacitor pack already soldered on for $60.

the KV choice should be based on battery choice. which should be based on how fast you would like to go.

3s 3000-3500kv 30-40mph - 2968 motor size.
4s 2000-2600kv 40-50mph - 3660 motor size.
6s 1800-2200kv 50-65mph - 3660-3670 size. (too much for your hull)

another really good motor is the dynamite 3831 that comes stock in some horizon proboats like the UL-19. its a 3656 size delta wind and is kinda coveted because its so fast.

checkout this prop calculator and see what KV and voltage gives you for a given prop
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.php

your boat probably likes a prop in the 35mm - 38mm range. big props upset small mono hulls and cause all kinds of problems with torque roll and chine walking where it becomes unstable at higher speeds. stay small in diameter and go up in pitch. TFL props from offshore electric are only $10 btw if you have never upgraded the stock plastic prop. try the 38mm option if you have a 3/16 shaft. you probably do not though.

when it comes to choosing the motor KV you can run 2 distinct kind of systems. high RPM with a small prop and low RPM with a bigger or higher pitch prop. the bigger your boat the lower the RPM. you have a small boat. so higher RPM like 35,000 to 40,000 loaded is fine. see the prop calculator for your loaded RPM, as its lower than just raw KV. from there you prop up or down to achieve the speed goal you want.

Here's specifically what I would go with
rocket rc 3660 2600kv. run on 3s and/or 4s. its right in between KV ranges so you can prop up for 3s and prop down/smaller for 4s and have fun experimenting.

Last edited: