tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bifft it

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
when i got this savage 25/x truck. i tore it down to figgure out what needed fixing. well, in the process i found that the wheels were glued to axles on right side. PITA to remove and in process i pulled the nuts through the wheels. i have another wheel/tire combo. how do i go about "unglueing" the lot? what kinda glue? theres no hobbyshop nearby. elmers? super glue? gorilla glue? (no not that stuff...works good for screens, cause it expands)

I'm confused are you trying to glue something or remove glue?

Not sure if I follow you.
Was the wheel hex glued to the wheel? Or were you not able to remove the wheel nut from the stub axle?
The silver drive cups/stub axle are left hand threads BTW.

it had X cups and drive axles. I'm trying to remove wheels from tires then I'm regluing. i want the good tires on a useable set of wheels.
lol i want to take a set of 8 glued wheels/tires unglue the lot, then then swap wheels on 4 and reglue them

Remove the tires from the wheels by the boiling or baking method.

mmmmmm yummy cooked tire soup!

I went through a similar situation with a set of tires i got in a lot of stuff. 3 faced the correct direction and 1 didnt. I boiled the tire and rim and eventually was able to get them apart with minimal rubber loss on the rim. Doing all 4 if your not careful could be a pain so be prepared. Definitely boil.

For glue order some CA glue online. Anything else and you will be regluing constantly.

Being as you're doing a full set, try both the boiling and baking, then you'll know which you prefer. When I first removed a set I did the boiling method, my next set was baked, I will always bake mine from now on. Make sure you get all of the old CA off before you remount the tires, it's also a good idea to give both the tire and wheel a good wipe down with some alcohol to get any oils off. I like to scuff my wheels and tires with sand paper before I wipe them down, give the glue a little something to "bite".

Being as you're doing a full set, try both the boiling and baking, then you'll know which you prefer. When I first removed a set I did the boiling method, my next set was baked, I will always bake mine from now on. Make sure you get all of the old CA off before you remount the tires, it's also a good idea to give both the tire and wheel a good wipe down with some alcohol to get any oils off. I like to scuff my wheels and tires with sand paper before I wipe them down, give the glue a little something to "bite".

Did the wheels still look good with the bake? It seems like it may be easier.

Last edited:
Came out fine, and yes I found it much easier than boiling, I didn't have to wait for the foams to dry and with boiling the tires fill up with hot water. Be careful when pulling the tires off though, being as they were baking in the oven the plastic is soft and could be bent.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

For removing the old glue from the tires, I carefully use my dremel with a small sanding bit and work my way around the bead.

Baking is definately better than boiling. 335 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. Be sure to use a flat pan or cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Make sure the tires don't hang over the edges of the pan or they will melt.

I use some disposable aluminum cookie sheets, they're nice and cheap. Turn the vent on or if possible open some windows, I did 3 full sets and a couple spares the other day and my house STUNK and that was with the vent on high.

well, did 2 full sets of tires the hobby knife way. took about 3 hrs and tires n wheels i wanted to keep didnt turn out too bad. i DO know i wont be doing that again for sure!

Wow, next time try baking, about an hour and you ready to go bashing again.

didnt leave too much for the most part. hands pretty sore from all that squishing of the tire so i could get down in to channel where bead of tire sits. just need to figgure out how to get em cleaned up now as my dremmel decided to go on strike

by boiling and ovening it deactivated the glue and it basically peels off....