Tire Question?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone still make 2.2" aggressive knobby ST tires? I'm looking for something similar to the old Tracktagators, I'm not having any luck finding any descant big knobby tires.

as a newb IDK....
But in my region (NJ) all i get is:
In my gusto, proline took it over... but i can be wrong as usual

1680412775354.png

Got an image of "Tracktagators"? Never heard of them, also not sure what you mean by "knobby" but if I had to make a guess, it sounds like a step pin to me
phew I feel the same way, I like to google for ppl and find their stuff... but i've had no chance in this case..

Pretty sure they are no longer made. The only place you might find them is ebay, but good luck. This is what they look like. I remember them, but haven't seen any for quite awhile.
Screenshot_20230402-063132_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-063107_Chrome.jpg

I don't really agree that there is any tire that works well for both off-road and on-road conditions. Reason being that off-road requires a softer compound for the pins to fold which generates more grip around odd shaped surface conditions. In contrast, on-road is a more abrasive condition that requires a harder compound to improve grip and a proper balance with wear life.

The Step Pins I linked above would be great for most off-road conditions in a soft or super soft compound, but for street I would recommend a Medium-soft compound like the Rattler:
http://www.panthertires.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=204

1680446233343.png

As the tread wears off and becomes "ghosted slicks" on asphalt, you can extend the life of the tire by saucing it with either WD40 Dry Lube (less aggressive) or PB Blaster (very aggressive) where you can decide how much grip you want at the expense of faster tire wear... I've seen guys run slicks until the foam inserts are exposed, ha!

WD40 can be sprayed directly on the tire and is very low odor
PB Blaster should be carefully sprayed into an empty shock bottle to be used as an applicator and place a couple drops on a toothbrush to apply in a similar fashion like this, you do NOT want to get any PB Blaster on your fingers, it's very toxic which is why it generates A LOT of grip:

Hi

Does anyone still make 2.2" aggressive knobby ST tires? I'm looking for something similar to the old Tracktagators, I'm not having any luck finding any descant big knobby tires.
I love Badlands SC tires for my big knobby tire love affair on my stadium truck's rear end. Front end gets the Gladiator SC tires for a perfect match. Using short course wheels/tires give a mini truggy look to the 1/10 stadium truck platform.
20190401_180813.jpg

Hi

I was really hoping to find some aggressive knobby tires even if there off brand tires, Unfortunately the Badlands don't seem to come in 2.2" size, which is what wheel sizes I have. The Duratrax 6 pack tires are similar to the badlands and come in 2.2" size and I am also considering the PL Trenchers which also come in 2.2" size, but I would really like to get some aggressive knobby tire.

I came across these on eBay but there just a bit out of my price range at this time, if I had the extra $86 I'd buy them.
s-l1600.jpg

Just a heads up on those 2.2" Duratrax "ST" tires... they are NOT really stadium truck tires. Just check the diameter and you'll soon see ;). A normal 2.2" stadium truck tire will be close to 4" (102mm). Those Six Pack ST 2.2 tires are, more or less, 2.2" buggy size tires (88mm diameter).
1680466149134.png

Last edited:
I don't really agree that there is any tire that works well for both off-road and on-road conditions. Reason being that off-road requires a softer compound for the pins to fold which generates more grip around odd shaped surface conditions. In contrast, on-road is a more abrasive condition that requires a harder compound to improve grip and a proper balance with wear life.

The Step Pins I linked above would be great for most off-road conditions in a soft or super soft compound, but for street I would recommend a Medium-soft compound like the Rattler:
http://www.panthertires.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=204

View attachment 162765

As the tread wears off and becomes "ghosted slicks" on asphalt, you can extend the life of the tire by saucing it with either WD40 Dry Lube (less aggressive) or PB Blaster (very aggressive) where you can decide how much grip you want at the expense of faster tire wear... I've seen guys run slicks until the foam inserts are exposed, ha!

WD40 can be sprayed directly on the tire and is very low odor
PB Blaster should be carefully sprayed into an empty shock bottle to be used as an applicator and place a couple drops on a toothbrush to apply in a similar fashion like this, you do NOT want to get any PB Blaster on your fingers, it's very toxic which is why it generates A LOT of grip:

Dude, not everyone is a racer, and worried about every last drop of performance. He is looking for a specific set of tires for a reason... he likes them. Go out bashing. Have some fun. Oh, and "knobby" tires is what us old timers used to call "pin" tires back in the day, only our knobbies were more manly 😉

Hi

I was really hoping to find some aggressive knobby tires even if there off brand tires, Unfortunately the Badlands don't seem to come in 2.2" size, which is what wheel sizes I have. The Duratrax 6 pack tires are similar to the badlands and come in 2.2" size and I am also considering the PL Trenchers which also come in 2.2" size, but I would really like to get some aggressive knobby tire.

I came across these on eBay but there just a bit out of my price range at this time, if I had the extra $86 I'd buy them.
View attachment 162770
Keep your eye on them. They may not sell. Maybe send them an offer via messaging.

Also, save your search on ebay, and you'll get notified if anyone lists anything with your search criteria. I have found some vintage Duratrax tires that way.

Good luck!

I've searched high and low for many years. 1/10 scale buggy, and stadium truck medium compound "bashin'" tires are just not out there. The "good old days of RC" huge knobby tires are slim pickin's. Pro-Line's Trencher 2.2" is about as good as it gets nowadays for your ST bashin' pleasure.
1680463633077.png
Not that Slim Pickens. :p

I've searched high and low for many years. 1/10 scale buggy, and stadium truck medium compound "bashin'" tires are just not out there. The "good old days of RC" huge knobby tires are slim pickin's. Pro-Line's Trencher 2.2" is about as good as it gets nowadays for your ST bashin' pleasure.
View attachment 162790 Not that Slim Pickens. :p
Yeah, the vintage stuff probably isn't going to perform as well as the new designs, but the new stuff doesn't look as good either in my opinion. Especially if you're restoring a vintage buggy or truggy. But I will say the old knobbies on my Javelin had some crazy grip in grass, and did really good on dirt as well. Almost too good lol.

I do like the Trencher's though. I'm going to grab a set for our Granite when I get some upgrades for it.

Speaking of the Optima/Javelin "spikes"... I remember them saying in the manual about cutting the spikes for your preferred amount of traction.
1680472605370.png

Okay. "Whittle away" is the term Kyosho used. 🤏 😆 Who would do such a thing? I had to scrape together every single cent I could get my hands on just to purchase the RC. Wasn't worried about having too much traction. 🙌🙌

Speaking of the Optima/Javelin "spikes"... I remember them saying in the manual about cutting the spikes for your preferred amount of traction.
View attachment 162800
Okay. "Whittle away" is the term Kyosho used. 🤏 😆 Who would do such a thing? I had to scrape together every single cent I could get my hands on just to purchase the RC. Wasn't worried about having too much traction. 🙌🙌
Yeah, I never cut mine. I like em just the way they are. But the re-release tires aren't as spikey as I remember.
20221221_061301.jpg

Hi

RUSTUS Thanks for the heads up on the Six Pack ST 2.2 tires.

WickedFog I'll keep an eye on the tires and see if he'll take a lower price if they don't sell.

Most of my driving is in grassy fields and is why I'd like to get some big knobby Tires.

This is what I currently have for my RC10GT-E, and Rustler.
IMG_5694.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

Most of my driving is in grassy fields and is why I'd like to get some big knobby Tires.
That is one thing I liked about the old school knobbies. Having the tapered spikes meant they did great in grass. These new style blocky tires grab ahold of the grass as it gets tied up in the tread and it puts a lot of strain on your drivetrain. The Badlands and Six Packs are pretty bad about that. Our Granite sheds a rear driveshaft every time we run it in grass with the Badlands on it. You can see grass clippings rooster tailing out the back when plowing through a grass field with them.

With that, if you are going to go with something newer, I'd personally go with the Trenchers I think for grass. But I've never tried them, so I am just basing that on the tread pattern looking like it may be better suited for grass. Or the Duratrax Hatchets should be pretty good on grass too I am guessing, but I've never tried those either.

Hi

RUSTUS Thanks for the heads up on the Six Pack ST 2.2 tires.

WickedFog I'll keep an eye on the tires and see if he'll take a lower price if they don't sell.

This is what I currently have for my RC10GT-E, and Rustler.
View attachment 162820
View attachment 162821
Just outta curiosity, I did go look for some, 'cause I'd be all over them Kyosho KYOTR17 Spike 2.2" 1/10 Truck Tires. Those would be right my alley!

That is one thing I liked about the old school knobbies. Having the tapered spikes meant they did great in grass. These new style blocky tires grab ahold of the grass as it gets tied up in the tread and it puts a lot of strain on your drivetrain. The Badlands and Six Packs are pretty bad about that. Our Granite sheds a rear driveshaft every time we run it in grass with the Badlands on it. You can see grass clippings rooster tailing out the back when plowing through a grass field with them.

With that, if you are going to go with something newer, I'd personally go with the Trenchers I think for grass. But I've never tried them, so I am just basing that on the tread pattern looking like it may be better suited for grass. Or the Duratrax Hatchets should be pretty good on grass too I am guessing, but I've never tried those either.
I have a fresh set of 2.2" Trenchers ready to go, but they're for a build later this year. I just gotta have some movement in the funds department.
IMG_20230405_153259897.jpg

I ran some in the past (on a 1/10 scale 2wd). They're great in soft/loose conditions. But, just like anything else, once the squared edges wear a bit... they lose a bit of the wow factor. On a 4wd RC, should be just plain stupid good fun. At least I'm hoping, 'cause that's where they're going to end up on :p ;). The owners, that run the larger version on larger scale RCs, say they are heavy. Well, the 2.2" Trenchers are .4 oz. lighter than the Badlands SC tires that I currently run on my stadium trucks.
IMG_20220518_183401857_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220518_183411941_HDR.jpg