Thunder Tiger 1/10 car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauntless

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been given an RC nitro 1/10 car. I don't know a great deal about it, but I'm pretty sure it's a Thunder Tiger. No idea on model number, sorry.

The engine seems low on compression, so I'd like to replace it. It looks to be the original engine, I think it's a .12.

Looking for suggestions on what engine to buy on a budget, and without having to make major modifications to the car.

Thanks!

You're going to be MUCH better off finding out exactly what RC you have @Dauntless as there are any number of engines that could be suggested.

If you don't know what you have, try taking a couple photos of the car and posting them on the forum for others to try and help you determine what you actually have.

Thanks for that.

Here is the only pic I have at the moment, I can take more when I get home if necessary.

Please excuse the filth, I haven't cleaned it yet.

DSC_4280.jpg

Could possibly be a Thunder Tiger TS4N V2

Possibly not that exact model, all examples I can find are 2 speed 4WD. Mine is single speed RWD.

I did a search for TS2N, and it looks quite similar to the results for that.

If you say it's 2wd then it's the thunder tiger ts2n with a Thunder Tiger Pro .12 engine.

Thanks for that. Any recommendations on what to replace the engine with?

I'd prefer not to go too crazy as I'm still kinda new to this. Something that doesn't require major mods to fit, is fairly easy to tune, well made but not super highly strung and expensive.

It has a barrel type carb rather than slide type, so I think I need to change the servo arm and linkage if I go to a slide carb?

Is it possible to get something like that for around $100USD?

A side question, but that gunk is really stuck on there and doesn't wipe off easily with a damp cloth. is it safe to use automotive spec degreaser if I remove the electronics first? Or is there a specific cleaning product I should be using?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'd prefer not to go too crazy as I'm still kinda new to this. Something that doesn't require major mods to fit, is fairly easy to tune, well made but not super highly strung and expensive.

It has a barrel type carb rather than slide type, so I think I need to change the servo arm and linkage if I go to a slide carb?

Is it possible to get something like that for around $100USD?

A side question, but that gunk is really stuck on there and doesn't wipe off easily with a damp cloth. is it safe to use automotive spec degreaser if I remove the electronics first? Or is there a specific cleaning product I should be using?
First, before buying an engine, I'd to a total tear down, pull it apart, take pictures as you go and clean it well. De-greaser will be fine on the metals but it can react with some plastics. As for the engine, do a tear down and fix that pull start before buying a new one :)

Thanks for that. How would I get the parts that would fix the compression? I've rebuilt petrol engines in the past, but not nitro. I assume I'd need a piston and liner or something? Wouldn't this cost nearly as much as an engine?

Hi guys,

I have been given an RC nitro 1/10 car. I don't know a great deal about it, but I'm pretty sure it's a Thunder Tiger. No idea on model number, sorry.

The engine seems low on compression, so I'd like to replace it. It looks to be the original engine, I think it's a .12.

Looking for suggestions on what engine to buy on a budget, and without having to make major modifications to the car.

Thanks!
I have the ts4n version.you can get the pro .18bx for 99.alot cheaper on ebay.thats what my kit came with.good for street bashing.i would clean that motor up and see how it runs first before you put money into an engine..

Thanks for that. I just figured if I had to rebuild, it would be easier and not much more expensive to replace. I've had no luck finding a Thunder Tiger engine on eBay either. I just had a look for an 18bx and found only a used one for $140.

Thanks for that. I just figured if I had to rebuild, it would be easier and not much more expensive to replace. I've had no luck finding a Thunder Tiger engine on eBay either. I just had a look for an 18bx and found only a used one for $140.
A rebuild is probably easier, give it a deep clean and then check whether the engine runs.

A rebuild is probably easier, give it a deep clean and then check whether the engine runs.
Fair enough, I guess I'll give it a go. What are some common tools I would need? Where would I find the parts I need? I haven't had any luck finding Thunder Tiger .12 engine parts. Does something like a rebuild kit exist?

Fair enough, I guess I'll give it a go. What are some common tools I would need? Where would I find the parts I need? I haven't had any luck finding Thunder Tiger .12 engine parts. Does something like a rebuild kit exist?
A rebuild just means a tear down, clean, and reassembly- unless you find any worn parts like bearings. As for those, just measure them or find info on the engine and get some the same size. If the piston does turn out to be worn and you can't find any replacements, just get a new engine. As for tools, really just a set of alan keys, but if the clutch is attached and is a three shoe, you may have to watch some tutorials. If you want to replace the bearings, you can use wooden dowel, but a bearing remover or heating the engine up in the oven is much easier.