the build has begun!! Baja 5B!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got some goodies yesterd ay and today, so i have almost everything i need! for some reason ddm was out of stock on the power switch.. and towerhobbies was out of stock on the metal drive gear for the servo. but i got everything else i need.

1 baja 5b SS kit
1 hpi baja rx pack
1 darksoul roof scoop
1 tgn rollover wing
1 set bad horsie shock covers
1 windshield
1 tgn redneck dual stage prefilter
1 hitec 7955 servo for T/B
1 zenoah triangle tool

still waiting on the RX switch and the metal outdrive for the stock steering servo. I will be using my Nomadio Sensor radio set.

Off to the pics!!

IMG_7883.gif

IMG_7885.gif

IMG_7886.gif

IMG_7884.gif

IMG_7880.gif

it will be awhile before i start the build, i just had lasiks Thursday and they say no "close work" for a few days at least. I will probably built id when the lady goes to cali for travel on the 8th threw the 12th.

I also need to commission one of the resident painters for the body.

This will be many first for me, first kit, first 5th scale, and first brand new RC. plus by far the most I've ever spent on a rig. I will have the tc4 to keep my busy until the 8th though!!

i have a feeling this is gonna be a awesome build! good luck. :)

You'll love it man :D Make sure you take it slow so you don't make mistakes. A mistake like putting something on then taking it off again because it's backwards, and then doing the same thing again because you forgot a bearing is not fun (experience, lol). Especially when there's 4 screws holding it together.

your gona love watching that thing come together. congrats and good luck. i absolutly love the build so much. make sure you dont thro out the front foams!! they look like packing couse they arent glued together like the back ones..

that's unfair...I wanna an Baja as well :\

got any more pictures?
it would be great if you could take pictures of what have been included in the box.

Congrats on the gasser Beason.

I look forward to your build.

that's unfair...I wanna an Baja as well :\

got any more pictures?
it would be great if you could take pictures of what have been included in the box.

trust me, there will be plenty of pics when i get started.. i have 3 memory cards for the reble so i can do about 1000 shots before i have to stop and upload. :D

i went ahead and did the mod on the triangle tool in anticipation of the build. I lucked up, the chuck i have doesn't require the notch to be put into the end. i just cut them off and rounded and smoothed the ends.

thanks for all the tips rob!

i will be using my xmas present for the build.

this bad boy, and three extra batterys
p41793_l.jpg

I will be using ryobi's quick change chuck as well.

Speedload_left.jpg

I have the triangle tool from DDM that i modded to fit the chuck.

media.jpg

you basically just cut the three ends off the center hub. I had to use a dremle tool as the hacksaw got about halfway through the first one before the teeth were gone. that metal is tough!! Then i used the dremle again to smooth out the ends, so they aren't sharp. Some chucks you wil need to put the notch in the end for it to "grab", but in the ryobi one you do not need this.

speedLoad.jpg

See how the two top bits have the notch on the end.

That is as far as i have gotten. I can't wait!

hey congrats! can't wait to see how it comes together.

we i started on it monday. sent the body off for paint last week so.

I got all the way up to step 52 where you start building the diff before i called it a day. will work on it a bit today, and again Wednesday and hopefully finish then. Sorry i got no pics, it was after 9 when i quit last night and i hadn't eaten anything so i didn't have time to upload.

the only thing i had to "redo" was i put the little arms that hold the turnbuckles in the front on backward.

hopefully pics this afternoon!

ok so i almost done!!!! i should have pics tonight or tomorrow. all i have left is building the wheels, and mounting the body and skid.

OMG there HAS to be an easier way to put on the bad horsie shock socks!!!!

i put heavyer fluid in the diff. i had some 50k laying around and they sent 1k so i went half and half...

i also built the rear shocks with a little thicker fluid. they sent 40w for the front but sent 5w for the rear!! so i again went about half and half with the 5 and 40. i know this isnt exact, but it should be better then the thin 5w they sent!

so far i am VERY impressed with the build. I think every RC i have ever owned could take notes from the quality of this rig. almost none of the screws go into plastic. most are captured nylon nuts. the motor seems very supported, and it seems like a very solid rig. i took tons of pics, so it may take me awhile to get them up..

There is!

Installing Bad Horsie shock covers can be a pain.

One solution is to take a plastic canister that 35mm film comes in and cut off the closed end. Make sure you have no burrs on your cut end and slip the shock cover over the canister bunching it up as required. You then put the canister over the shock spring and pull one end of the cover the over one end of the shock. Hold it there with one hand and gently pull the canister the other direction up the shock spring releasing the shock cover as you go.

That’s it. A quick and simple way to install a Bad Horsie shock cover that only takes seconds.

ok so i almost done!!!! i should have pics tonight or tomorrow. all i have left is building the wheels, and mounting the body and skid.

i put heavyer fluid in the diff. i had some 50k laying around and they sent 1k so i went half and half...

i also built the rear shocks with a little thicker fluid. they sent 40w for the front but sent 5w for the rear!! so i again went about half and half with the 5 and 40. i know this isnt exact, but it should be better then the thin 5w they sent!

so far i am VERY impressed with the build. I think every RC i have ever owned could take notes from the quality of this rig. almost none of the screws go into plastic. most are captured nylon nuts. the motor seems very supported, and it seems like a very solid rig. i took tons of pics, so it may take me awhile to get them up..

tonight,I wanna see that beast be born.

Great to see you got her done man. Once you turn over that engine and pull the trigger the first time I can assure you, you wont be touching another rc for a while lol! I know I dont. My revo broke 10 weeks ago and I could care less about fixing it lol. If you need any help man feel free to ask. I currently have both bajas down to nuts and bolts so if theres something you dont know where goes I can help lol.

congrats!! the baja's are a blast. I just didn't have a place to run mine and my wife hated the noise.

Ok, here is the build in action!!

Option parts, roof scoop, spark plug guard, prefilter, throttle servo, windshield, shock covers, battery pack.
IMG_7919-800.gif

Parts everywhere!!
IMG_7921-800.gif

IMG_7922-800.gif

IMG_7923-800.gif

IMG_7924-800.gif

IMG_7925-800.gif

Even the packing peanuts are huge!!!
IMG_7926-800.gif

The engine, secksey!!
IMG_7927-800.gif

IMG_7928-800.gif

Parts lined up for the build, man that’s a lot of baggys!!
IMG_7929-800.gif

IMG_7930-800.gif

Front end build.
IMG_7931-800.gif

IMG_7932-800.gif

IMG_7933-800.gif

IMG_7934-800.gif

IMG_7935-800.gif

Radio box build.
IMG_7936-800.gif

IMG_7938-800.gif

IMG_7937-800.gif

Diff build up, man its beefy!!
IMG_7940-800.gif

IMG_7941-800.gif

IMG_7942-800.gif

IMG_7943-800.gif

IMG_7944-800.gif

IMG_7945-800.gif

Trans build.
IMG_7946-800.gif

IMG_7947-800.gif

IMG_7948-800.gif

Rear end build
IMG_7949-800.gif

IMG_7939-800.gif

IMG_7950-800.gif

They come together!!
IMG_7951-800.gif

Air filter with prefilter
IMG_7953-800.gif

IMG_7952-800.gif

Exhaust installation.
IMG_7954-800.gif

IMG_7956-800.gif

Spur gear hardware.
IMG_7957-800.gif

Coming along!!
IMG_7958-800.gif

Roll bars and goodies
IMG_7959-800.gif

IMG_7960-800.gif

IMG_7961-800.gif

Shocks and wing installed.
IMG_7962-800.gif

IMG_7963-800.gif

IMG_7964-800.gif

IMG_7966-800.gif

I have also installed the windshield, but no pics. Still have to put the wheels and tires together and wait on the body and power switch.
Any tips for the wheels?

Very nice man. Your work space is very tidy. How long exactly did it take?

Make sure you don't throw away the long pieces of foam. They go in the front tires. And when building the beadlocks, make sure you don't over tighten the screws. The threads are so tiny that it's easy to overdo it.

The larger screws and bolts in this kit were a blessing. I hate tiny screws with their tiny wrench sizes that constantly strip out.

I find that putting a couple of the packing foam cylinders in the scoops on the side of the body help keep grass intake down. The impeller on the engine sucks in a lot of grass.

it took about 12 hours or so off and on but i still have to build the wheels, and tweak the radio and linkages.

Back