Sweet Video For SkyMaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a couple hundred users where I work. Getting everyone migrated over to Win2k was a pain but well worth it. Win98 was about as stable as a drunk in an airplane toilet. This migration is an advantage from administration purposes as well. We can pull a vanilla machine for a new user, log on as that user, and through active directory, the necessary apps will be installed according to what you have established for them in their organizational unit.

And don't give a dumb user administrative rights to the local machine.

your Bling Bling cracks me up.

I can tell you how to deny local admin rights.

As far as implementing the features of active directory, I've grasped the concept and a lot of its capabilities but I couldn't give you a "how to".

I'll just hope you were kidding.

Properly cared-fore, Windows NT and Windows 2000 are very stable. I have a Windows NT Server in Texas that has been running constantly since 1998. My personal work computer runs Windows 2000 I installed it 3/28/2001. That is seriously the longest stretch I've had between OS reinstalls.

As long as you format the drives on your new computers and start from scratch, you'll have a solid platform. The users, however, are experts at screwing stuff up. Surfing the internet, they get this message "Install New Dot Net Software?" and they click yes. "Install Gator?" they click yes. It doesn't take long the computer is useless and crippled by spyware. Viruses too would be a problem if I didn't run NAVCE.

Due to some software issues, I must give admin access to the local computer to my users. My solution to the problem is a recovery cd (ghost image) for each computer I setup. All of the data is stored on the servers so anything on the local computer can be erased without loosing anything important. If one of my users hoses his Win2k, I just point to the Recovery CD.

I'm not saying Windows 2000 and NT are more stable than a Mac or Unix, but if you do it right, you can use them to create a pretty stable enviroment that doesn't frustrate the user.

-Rob

One nice thing about XP is the System Restore Points. It would be cool if you could set it up so that when a user boots the system, it restores to an initail point (like if you ran the ghost disk). It wouldn't help with viruses, but it might help some.

One word everybody shut up. ok more than one word Dec Alpha Server with True 64 Unix That was the most stable system I ever layed my hands on. Beautiful piece of architecture.

no never did. Pretty sweet or what?

OMG That was fiddlesticking hilarious!! HAHAHA, ROTFLMAO!! I was thinking it was an actual mac comercial at first :rolleyes: hehe, that was great! Cloverleaf + period + Spacebar eh?

Lol, right after I replied my Windows crashed :\

Back