stupid roller skate bearings!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry7007

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok, so today i got out my roller skates. after i got back, i spined the wheels and noticed the bearings where a little gritty, so i decided to clean them. its been awhile since I've done this, and I don't know how to get the bearings out of the wheel. I've FRUSTRATED THE HELL OUT OF MY SELF trying to get the bearings out of the wheel. the bearings sit flush together so i can't get a punch and whack them outta there. and I've also tried banging the wheels on the ground. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Heck, just hose 'em out with brake cleaner while still in the wheel then lube 'em up real well with some skate boarder lube!

people still use roller skates? i never could do anything more than bust my ass on those things..

I thought roller skating was something they forced you to do in gym class. Seriously, you could probably do what RCAddict said. Or get some new wheels for them. Can't find anything to "hook" the bearings and pull them out? Might be best to nail 'em with a good silicone lube and just leave them be.

um, I'm a very physical person, i get about 5 hours of ice time every week, i jog alot, i rollerskate alot, and i do archery.

um, I'm a very physical person, i get about 5 hours of ice time every week, i jog alot, i rollerskate alot, and i do archery.

That's cool. I throw salt on ice, run to the fridge, chase roller skaters with my Maxx's and shoot guns. My big bellies the proof!:)

Use an allen wrench that fits loosely in the wheel, and pry them out.

I use to use a bearing puller on my skates back in my speed skating days, but a flat head screwdriver used to do the trick as well. Should be a nice gap between the bearings inside the wheels. Either go at it from the front and pry it off, or try and gently tap it from the back. If you hit it too hard you'll knock the inner race off though....so be semi gentle and use a rubber mallet if you have one ;-)

Should be a nice gap between the bearings inside the wheels

well my problem is, there IS NO GAP between the bearings, if there was this thread wouldnt be here.

What kind of skates/wheels are we talking about here? Every wheel I have ever seen for a roller skate has a gap between the bearings to distribute the weight better across the axles....

What kind of skates/wheels are we talking about here? Every wheel I have ever seen for a roller skate has a gap between the bearings to distribute the weight better across the axles....

That makes two of us, but I have to believe the thread starter knows what he is talking about...

Slip your wheel back over the axle, and hold it, so that the axle is only through one bearing. Now, wrench the wheel to one side, so that hte axle pries the bearing out. This is how I always took the bearings out of my skateboard wheels, back in the day.

Well what you need to do is prop the wheel on two peices of wood with a gap in the middle, like train tracks. Make sure that the wood is not near the bearing. Sit another bearing on top of the other, out of the wheel. And hit it with a hammer, it will pop the bearing on the other side out. =D

Boil the wheels for about 20 minutes and then pop them out. Or...get a new set. Sounds like somebody forgot to put the spacers back in when the bearings were removed previously.