Starter Box Motor Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm putting this here because my starter box is used to start a nitro rig. Mods, if you think it needs moved, do so.

I received two 550 motors I'm planning on installing in my Ofna starter box. Each requires 3 capacitors to be soldered on (following this link for a diagram of how they are to be soldered. http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Motors-550-Size-12V-14-4V-FAN-COOLED-Titan-Maxx_W0QQitemZ250034061679QQihZ015QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My questions are:

1. Do I even need to have capacitors on these to begin with?
2. If so, how do I determine which terminal is positive and negative?
3. By the looks of the diagram, do I solder the capacitors directly to the terminals? There are small holes with plastic grommets around each. Three have white grommets and one is red. I'm not sure if that's where the capacitor's "foot" goes or not. My concern with soldering right to the terminal is having space to hook the battery leads to.

There is a picture of the motors I bought on the above link and I'll try posting a better picture of the rear of the motor later this evening.

Thanks in advance for the assist!

I think the capacitors are only required for running them in a car. There was a recent article/review in one of the mags that they discussed range being an issue (it was a RTR) and they found out one of the capacitors was missing and it solved the problem. Don't ask me why, I'm not into eletric cars/trucks.

I think they could be to squelch interferrence, so your car/truck doesn't start WOT. Even though they're not connected directly to your nitro car, they could in theory throw off radio noise that might cause the car to glitch. Especially if it uses a crystal-based radio. DCM/spectrum, I think, are immune (or at least, nowhere near as susceptible) to the radio noise.

I didn't have caps on my Powerwheels starterbox (from a Barbie jeep, no less....), and my Storm would glitch like crazy when it was popped over.

They're cheap insurance, at $.10 a pop.

Wiring Diagram

OK, seems like I won't be needing the capacitors, but I'm hoping someone has a wiring schematic for this or can even scratch out a crude drawing for me: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXU2&P=7#tech.

I accept that I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so any help appreciated!

MW - I have the same box, I can take a few pics for you if you like. Would be better than me trying to explain the wiring on it...LOL.....drop me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send it to ya'.

-Nitro

Heres ya a few pics bro......you have 2 positive and 2 negative wires coming off the battery. one of each will go to the power panel, the others will go to the switches and motors. The motors are wired in a series circuit, I've tried them using a parallel circuit but didn't work as good....

here's a link for ya........it's really a simple setup

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/Nitrobuzzard/Bump box wiring/

-Nitro

here's on e I ddi a while a ago...iy's pretty generic...hope it helps

6043starter_wiring.jpg

or for 2 batt packs

60432_battery_starter_wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Not a problem - I knew that diagram would come in handy some day.

Believe it or not, that's the only directions that came with my grey XTM starterbox.