Savage XL 5.9 won't run

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phazernut

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought my son a Savage XL for Christmas and have spent the past 8 month off and on trying to get it work. First this I did was ditch the roto start and go with a pull start. No way I hell to get it to start with the roto. Tried the drill thing but didn't really feel comfortable with that option. I have been flying and running Nytro planes for the past 20 years and I have never had an engine like this thing. I managed to get 7 or 8 tanks of fuel through it but it never ran great. Constantly stopping for no reason at both idle and open throttle also as soon as the brakes are applied it dies. Now it starts but will not accept any throttle at all, it just shuts off. I have tried to adjust the low and high speed needles with little to no change. Now its back to factory setting and will not run. Just starts and shuts off as soon as I touch the throttle. I'm at a loss. Ready to sell to the first person who walks by or put it under the wheels of my real truck......help

There are stickies in the Nitro RC Talk forum that will help you out big time!

Also I had a bud from work tell me he had the same problems with a thunder tiger .21, he ended up getting a different engine.

Don't give up so easily, ull get it...u might wanna check ur idle screw so that u have 1mm gap even with the brake applied, it prob closed when u press on the breaks. keep us posted on this.

Also, does it get cold where you live? Like below 60F? If you tried running it when it was cold, that could be a big part of the problem.

Newer big blocks like to be heated to at least 100F (typical hair dryer temps), 150+ if you can. At least until they are broken in or they can be a real pain.

Does it die when you apply throttle if the glow heater is still on the plug?

What kind of fuel are you running and could it be bad? If the fuel and glow plug are good and you are not getting any response from the needle adjustment, then you may have an air leak. Have you sealed the engine?

Thanks Guys

The fuel is Back Yard Basher and it is new.

The truck will shut off as soon as I touch the throttle with or without the glow driver attached.

Yes it gets cold here in the winter but not at the moment. I did run it when it was colder this spring to break it in.

I'll look at the gap on the carb if I get it to run long enough to touch the brakes.

I haven't sealed the engine. Didn't think I would have to nor do I even know how to. Airplane engines are much easier to work with I have to say.

It doesn't need to run to set the carb gap. Just pull off the air cleaner and look down the carb and use the idle screw to adjust it to stay open 1mm when brakes are applied. My truck acts just like yours when its to rich. I would put it on a stand of some kind and start it and keep leaning it out on the hsn till it will rev up. See how that goes.

---------- Post added at 8:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:30 PM ----------

Oh and did you change the plug after break in? If not do that also.