Savage x 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneg97

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay so i'm a noob to this hobby and i've decided on the savage x 4.6!!! Good choice i think, but i want to be completely ready for when it comes... can you tell me things i should know before i get it and things i should have... faq... etc. any help on the HPI RACING SAVAGE 4.6 would gretaly be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D P.S. just so you know what comes with it, here is the link i'm buying it from:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAZAN**&P=ML

Hi, that is definately an excellent choice, I've got one of these and they are amazing, extremely powerful and fast! I'm no expert but I would definately recommend a failsafe (puts the brakes on if it goes out of range or the batteries go flat), i'm not sure if they come already fitted now but I had one fitted when I bought mine. Obviously you will need fuel, I use 25% and it goes like a rocket. Not sure what you get with yours but don't forget a glow plug heater and lots of AA batteries (8 for the controller, 4 for the receiver) I bought recharchables.

i think thats what i'll do too... get a charger and rechargables. It's a lot more expensive initially but it seeems like everyone says you go through a ton of batteries? so that would make me save a lot of money in the long run

things u may need extra

A arms plenty of fuel, spur gears extra batteries, oil, I personaly like to keep extra bumpers,a arms tire glue, extra wheels, this is ply things I have had to use while racking those long days. But very fun..

Buy bell clutch bearings, inexpensive but well worth it when they go.
Blue Loctite
Possibly Spur gear since it is plastic
Some extra glow plugs, just be sure of the temperature plug compared to which % fuel you use from what I have read.

the kill switch/fail safe from killerrc.com is awesome. get the bumblebee. Its designed for nitro trucks. Mount it close to the carb, set it up on the AUX switch. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
flipmode, you say the spur gear is plastic... is it posible to upgrade to say powder coated aluminum or something like that? if so, would it help or just slow it down?

flipmode, you say the spur gear is plastic... is it posible to upgrade to say powder coated aluminum or something like that? if so, would it help or just slow it down?

If you get your gear mesh set properly, you shouldnt need to install a metal spur gear, but they are available. A plastic spur gear is better IMO, because if anything binds, it is only the spur gear that gets chewed up, otherwise you may transfer the damage elsewhere.

BTW, do yourself a favor and get a 5 cell 2/3 hump pack instead of regular AA's or even rechargables. I am currently using rechargables, and they suck...not enough juice going to the rx!! Regular AA's have 6.0 volts which is what you should have and the rechargables have only 4.8 volts, which is a little on the low side for running the rx for the servos. You will find that if you are out bashing alot, you will be going thru batteries quite a bit. A hump pack is only about $20-25, and will supply the 6.0 volts for a longer period of time. When the battery power gets too low, the servos dont work as well and you can also run into the problem of losing your signal and having your rig taking off on you.

Edit: if you get the failsafe, you should be in the clear from having your rig taking off.

If you have a savage, you shouldnt need too many extras for now.

Last edited:
How long will the hump pack last and the normal aa batteries? like as a comparison i mean???

Well, I get quite a bit of run time out of a set of AA's, I would guess around 3-4 hours, although I have never timed that. A hump pack would definatley give you alot more run time, but would also provide a longer/stronger flow of useable power. As soon as I start using my Tmaxx with a fresh set of AA's in the rx, I can notice a drop in power after an hour or so. Plus, with a hump pack, you can just recharge before you go out and know that you will have full power to run your servos, lights (if you decide to go that route) everytime without having to wonder....when the hell did I change those AA's, trust me its a pain in the a** when you go out and realize your batteries are too weak and you dont have any spares.

It seems like it's well worth it for $20-25! does that include the charger? AA batteries add up quick!

You can get them with a charger, but you can get an adapter to charge it with the charger you will probably have for the battery in your roto starter. Yeah AA's add up really quickly!!

Hump pack

I would definately get a hump pack, I recently got one and not only do they last longer, they seem to give more power to the servos, eg: my brakes are more responsive since fitting it. I would keep a spare glow plug or 2 aswell. Don't forget a glow plug wrench too.

Can't believe nobody mentioned a temp gun. Get one to help you with engine tuning.